HDR-2000T or HDR-FOX T2?

Padding doesn't disable series recording, only broadcaster accurate recording start and stop. Using the CF on HDR FOX T2 allows you to mix AR and padding for different recordings.

Ah. Well then I must have decided that broadcaster accurate recording was more beneficial than padding - which for me is still the case.

Anyway, both machines were/are set the same. So either the broadcast signals have got more accurate or my T2 was slow to respond to them.

Although it's been a long time since I set up the T2, I think it is like-for-like. I say that because my recollection is that neither machine allows you to have both series recordings and padding, and I opted for the former.
Your statement is correct for the earlier 9200T, 9150T and 9300T (where using padding disables series recording) but is wrong for the HDR-FOX T2, HDR-2000T and HDR-1800T where padding and series recording will work together. My preference always has been accurate recording.

Oh well, i bit the bullet and got a new "in replacement packaging" (ex display or customer return) T2 from ebay for £99.99 delivered. Then I saw a "managers special" 2000T on HumaxDirect for £109+£5.99P&P. Happy to have saved £16, but just a bit concerned that there's only a 30 warranty on the T2, whereas the 2000T has a full year. What are the T2's like readability wise? Is it repetitively cheap & easy to get them repaired? I've had mine just over a year and had no problems whatsoever.

What are the T2's like readability wise? Is it repetitively cheap & easy to get them repaired? I've had mine just over a year and had no problems whatsoever.
"readability" = 'reliability'? Take it that you meant 'reliability'.
My impression is that the weakest point is the HDD followed by the PSU.
The c/f installed with the 'fan' package can help to reduce temperature fluctuations and hopefully extend the life of other components.

Yes, sorry, slightly dyslexic, I meant reliability. I think I saw on here that you can get the PSU repaired for £20. From experience with tech like this, if nothing goes wrong in the first few weeks, then it will be good until way after the warranty has expired.

The sellers T&C's state:
In some cases, you may be able to register for the Manufacturers warranty and/or the eBay 3rd party SquareTrade warranty may be available to purchase.

Does anyone know if a Square Trade warranty will cover this? From what I can see, I can buy one for £14.99.

From experience with tech like this, if nothing goes wrong in the first few weeks, then it will be good until way after the warranty has expired.
That's about the size of it - it's known as the bath-tub curve. I have had one in service since they first came out, three others of younger vintage operating daily, and another still in the box.

The seller says it should be ok to register the warranty online with Humax to get a years cover. Anyone have any experience of claiming on a warranty direct with Humax?

I'm pretty sure you are going to need some kind of proof of purchase sufficient to satisfy Humax. Your legal rights are entirely against the seller, any warranty Humax might offer is above and beyond your enforceable rights (unless of course they are the seller). Unless the seller can prove where he got it from, and it is a legitimate source, you need to take all that with a large pinch of salt.

I'll try and find out more about where exactly he got it from, it's a new graded model. I'll have the ebay receipt of course, for what that's worth. I've looked at the warranty registration page on Humaxs site, and it looks like they use the serial no as a way of tracking the machines:

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/wregistrations.php

I'll have a go at this as soon as it arrives, though its really past the point of no return now as it will be delivered on Monday. Fingers crossed its not a Friday afternoon job!

Distance selling rules generally say that you can send something back for a full refund just because you don't want it. (But don't expect the return postage).

"Distance selling rules" were replaced by something else earlier this year, as I found out in the Maplin debacle. I'm too lazy to go and find the thread now...

OK, so they were replaced in June 2014 with something that is even more in the buyer's favour than the 2000 'issue'.
There's a précis Here. OK not the definitive but close.

Yes, you can register the serial number... but when it actually comes to claiming against the warranty they will still want to see a proof of purchase.

The seller Tech-Edge state that they honour the statutory 14 days cooling off period and have an additional 30 day warranty for defective products. Its only after this period where it remains to be seen if the Humax warranty is valid or not. If the machine was originally purchased by a customer, sent back to the original retailers, then sat in a warehouse for weeks or months before reaching Tech-Edge, then I guess there might be some problems.

The sale of goods act (or whatever it is now) does not limit the liability of the seller to 30 days. The sellers liability remains for however long it is reasonable to expect goods of this nature to work without wearing out naturally, and I suggest that for goods such as a PVR 30 days is unreasonably short. The 14 days business is the distance selling regulations which substitute for being able to inspect goods in a shop before purchase - these do not invalidate the SoGA liability for defective goods. The seller's liability never completely expires: after the "reasonable period", the purchaser can still claim for a defect which was present at the time of purchase, but would have to be able to prove that the defect was present and unnoticed at the time of purchase and thereafter - prior to the "reasonable period" this is assumed unless the seller can prove that the defect was not present at the time of purchase.

Yes, sellers like to divest their responsibility to manufacturers whenever the manufacturer is willing to provide a warranty service, but the long and short of it is that the contractual agreement for purchase is between the buyer and the seller and nobody else. If the seller then wishes to make a claim against wherever he purchased from, that's his affair not yours.

I hope this clears up any misunderstandings people have about their rights and responsibilities in UK law. The key aspect is that you (the purchaser) do not have any rights against the manufacturer. Your rights are totally with the seller, and the seller has defined limits to that liability. It's amazing how many people think they have a right to take stuff back to a shop just because they don't like it or the price has subsequently been reduced (some shops allow this, but that is a privilege not a right). The advantage of buying on-line is that you can send stuff back just because you don't like it - but of course it costs you postage.

Lots of other things; my favourites are the ability to restore the recording schedule after a retune,

Of course, it would be preferable if a retune didn't remove the recording schedule. Creating a problem and then fixing it is neutral or negative IMHO

Of course, it would be preferable if a retune didn't remove the recording schedule.
But of course if you are retuning and pick up a different transmitter then the retained recording schedule wouldn't work which is why (somewhere in the 9200 software evolution) Humax started to delete the schedule. Obviously the correct approach is the Custom Firmware method of patching the schedule where necessary and possible to retain as much that will work as is feasible.

Back