HDR-FOX on 1.03.12: how to get the custom firmware back

MontysEvilTwin

My original post is here. There are a number of people asking about how to revert to custom firmware. This is what I found:

My HDR-FOX was on 1.03.11/ CFW 2.22 and was updated 1.03.12 over the air. I reverted directly to 1.03.11/ CFW 2.22 using the standard USB installation method: instructions here. This worked without a hitch: Web-if opened straight away and all my packages etc. were still there.

So if you are now on 1.03.12 and want the custom firmware back, installing 1.03.11/ CFW 2.22 directly worked for me: no intermediate down-date to a non-customised version was needed. If you were on a customised version of 1.02.xx firmware before, 1.03.xx versions have a much improved version of BBC iPlayer and the only downside I am aware of is a slightly laggy EPG. This has not been a problem for me but some people can't put up with it. Why not try it out for yourself. If you want customised 1.02.xx back I would try directly installing the customised version of your choice (e.g. 1.02.32/ CFW 2.21). I've not tried this but I expect it will work. Please post if it works OK. Of course, installing any unofficial firmware is at your own risk.

Not forgetting the portal wrinkle of the new custom portal and removal of the previous two (by my count) if you have custom 1.02.xx installed and move to 1.03.xx CF and use the modified portal previously.

i.e. if you use

new-portal
1.01 New Portal - replaces the default Humax TV Portal.

You must remove the packages

custom-portal 1.12-1 Custom Portal - extends the default Humax TV Portal.

portal-xtra1 1.12.064.300-3 An extension to the Humax TV Portal thats add some more apps. Reboot after installation. Work in progress.

If present.

I still think that moving between 1.02.xx and 1.03.xx CFW can be problematic but once on it you can step back to another 1.03.xx as you did.

I had disable-ota running but it still updated. Have they got smart or was I just unlucky? I've never "suffered" an OTA before...

Posted on the move

Can I check this? My Humax firmware has gone from 1.03.11 (or something earlier perhaps) to 1.03.12 over the air, recently. My Web interface has stopped. So now I should I re-load the custom firmware 2.22 with the USB stick and everything, and the web-if etc. will re-appear. But I will still be running Humax firmware v1.03.12 because I didn't downgrade to 1.03.11. Therefore I don't need to worry about disabling OTA because I already have the latest (1.03.12) Humax firmware. Not for tonight anyway, maybe before the next OTA comes along, yes.

HarveyB, are we on the same wavelength? Sorry if I am getting the wrong end of the USB stick.

If you have the official 1.03.12 (from an OTA) you can now install the CFW version (HERE) on top of it, any further 1.03.12 OTA's will not over-write it

But of course if you set up the two disable packages + bracket the reminder to 04:20 - 04:40 then you'll have protection from the next OTA of a different version.

Can I check this? My Humax firmware has gone from 1.03.11 (or something earlier perhaps) to 1.03.12 over the air, recently. My Web interface has stopped. So now I should I re-load the custom firmware 2.22 with the USB stick and everything, and the web-if etc. will re-appear. But I will still be running Humax firmware v1.03.12 because I didn't downgrade to 1.03.11. Therefore I don't need to worry about disabling OTA because I already have the latest (1.03.12) Humax firmware. Not for tonight anyway, maybe before the next OTA comes along, yes.
For reference (irrelevant now there is 2.22/1.03.12), had you loaded 2.22/1.03.11 over your 1.03.12, it would have "downgraded" to 2.22/1.03.11.

Not quite! The custom firmware is an add-on to the standard firmware, but in some cases the parts of the standard firmware that need tweaking are also the parts that distinguish the standard firmwares from each other. Thus, for example, installing CF for 1.02.32 into a machine currently running 1.02.29 will add the CF but also update the standard firmware to 1.02.32.

That's the point of the upgrade table in the Wiki HERE (click).

However, in the case of 1.03.11, the standard firmware has never been released except installed in a machine direct from Humax, and once af123 got hold of it he released a .hdf which includes the full 1.03.11 plus CF2.22. Thus installing 1.03.11+2.22 definitely results in a 1.03.11 HDR-FOX, no matter what firmware was originally on the machine.

That's the point of the upgrade table in the Wiki HERE (click).

There's a couple of entries in that table which state "Download and install official 1.03.12" (against "Official other" and "CFW other"). Is 1.03.12 available to download without the CFW, or am I misunderstanding something?

I'm currently running official 1.03.06 with CFW 2.20. Am I right in thinking that I can just install the 1.03.12/2.22 package (ie just the hdr file from af123's HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.12_mod_2.22.zip) to get the latest version of both official and custom firmwares in one fell swoop?

I'm guessing af123 has set this page up in anticipation that the official 1.03.12 will be available on the Humax beta download site in the future, it is not available at present although af123 will have an extracted version that he built the CFW on to. It is possible to go straight from 1.03.06_mod_ 2.20 to 1.03.12_mod_2.22

Thanks for the explanation, I'll probably give it a go.

(ISTR that there used to be a "thanks" button on the forum which avoided having to post like this. I can't see it in Safari, Chrome or Firefox on my Mac. Has it been taken away?)

You may be thinking of another forum, there is only a 'like' (which you have already found) as far as I know

As Ezra has said, there has only been a Like on this forum as long as I have been a member, but AV Forums does have a set of Five buttons, including a Thanks, perhaps that is what you are thinking of.

Back