HDR-Fox t2 crashing with external hd attached either powerered or un powered

David Howarth

Just Got this machine had 9200 for years and when I attach an external hd either external powered or portable the fox crashes and reboots especially if you are watching something pre-recorded internally.

Any ideas the powered hd is ntfs and portable fat32. Disconnect and all seems fine

Many thanks.. Dave

information that helps with drive problems:

re-install the mod/ntfs system if possible
make sure the NTFS is formatted in linux - windows formatted ntfs is unlikely to work
what make and model drive
how old is it (date of manufacture if its accessable)
what interfaces (USB 1,2,3 or what combination does it work with)
have you run scantest and defrag
try another external power supply
have you tried another drive
how many files and folders on the drive in total
how many partitions including hidden partitions and what sort
(do a check - many drives come with hidden partitions)

concentrate on getting one of them working - depending on the above
If either are USB3 compatible use the other one first

re-install the mod/ntfs system if possible
The custom firmware is not necessary to access an NTFS drive read-only. I presume to OP does not have the CF installed.

make sure the NTFS is formatted in linux - windows formatted ntfs is unlikely to work
I have not experienced this, even before the custom firmware NTFS package.

I might have suspected the structure or contents of the disk had ONE of them caused a crash when installed, but it seems much less likely with two (and different formats at that).

Hi Guys
Plugged an external Hard drive in last night and it ran no bother at all.... So not sure what the issue was but it seems to have cleared its self.

Many thanks for your support

David

I have not experienced this, even before the custom firmware NTFS package.

If windows can format NTFS for use that will make like easier. Maybe it was just the drives (I bought a load of the same type - 1TB WD 2.5") for
everyones use and tried in Vista32 and win-7. None would work until I booted linux and formatted them in that.
I'll try again next time I buy some. (I think I messaged here at the time)

Back