HDR-FOX T2 dead :(

I had the unencrypt package installed (this time I'll make sure I keep a list of all the packages I have installed in case I have to go through it all again) and so pretty much all my recordings should be fine. Are the packages stored on the hard drive too then? (Apart from the flash-based ones)
Mostly, yes. It's only the bits relating to things that have to run early in the boot sequence (before the hard disk is available) that are in flash.

Mostly, yes. It's only the bits relating to things that have to run early in the boot sequence (before the hard disk is available) that are in flash.
Thanks,
So would it be best to install the custom firmware (was on HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.12_mod_3.02 with my original Hummy) with the "new" hard disk and then power down and put the original hard disk in (with all my packages and recordings on)? Will the full web interface already be there as it was on the original hard disk.

Yes, you'll just be missing flash bits (which is what is fixed with the fix-flash-packages diagnostic) and settings for those packages which you'll have to re-enter. Schedule backups will be there ready to restore too if you want.

That's great. As the custom firmware and packages are something that "just works" it's not something that I spend too much time looking into - thanks for explaining the ins and outs :)

Just been reading all this with interest as I have exactly the same symptoms, unit stalled on startup for scheduled recording (showed frozen Custom FW in display). Power off/on produced dead unit. PSU voltages are 12v and 6v but I haven't put a scope on the dc yet. It's probably the motherboard and I was wondering if the mobo in the HD FOX T2 is the same one? Anybody know..........?

When did that happen with yours, how old is it?
I don't know whether they are the same Mobo but I have been in contact with Humax as regards parts, this is what they came back with just now
Front Board - £21.65
Power Supply - £15.42
Main Board - Mainboards need to be programmed by Humax so not available to sell.
They quote £120 to repair but I mentioned that I have fitted Custom Firmware and they said they won't repair (thought best to mention it cos they would soon know if they got it working with the original mobo). And obviously I couldn't revert mine as its not working.
I have received, today, a 2 year old working one from eBay for £75 so I hope to work out what is wrong with mine and (unless its the mobo) will get them both operational.

Just checked receipt and it's dated 14 February 2012. Thanks for the info on costs and the power supply seems reasonable at that price. I'm in the same position as you regarding mobo as it has Custom FW and I'm looking on eBay as well. I did wonder if the HD-FOX T2 boxes had the same mobo and they would be cheaper to buy but even if they did I expect the power and HDD sockets would not be present. I've never had the opportunity to look.....................

I got mine Christmas 2011 so pretty much the same age. Someone has mentioned that the newer models have 6 wires not 8.
As I now happen to have a newer one here I just checked and yes, the newer ones have 6 wires - so the chances are that a new PSU would only have the 6 wire connector too :( The front panel connector etc looks identical. I will try swapping that onto my old one and report back if that was the issue (unfortunately I'm expecting that it's the mobo that has packed up)

You can also look on Gumtree - there are quite a few listed but most are pick up and cash only - might be cheaper depending where you are?

Last edited:
Thanks, hadn't thought to check Gumtree; will do that. Is the 6 wire psu a direct swop with the older 8 wire version? Also I would have thought that you could swop the mobo over, especially if you have auto-decrypted your files on HDD. It's only a couple of plugs and some screws. As has been mentioned earlier, it should power up without the HDD connected. Let me know how you progress................

I imagine they will only provide the 6 wire PSU so that won't fit the 8 wire mobo (that's what my poorly one has). I'm at work now so cannot directly compare the Hummy that has arrived here today off of ebay to my poorly one at home. Yep, I'm hoping you're right about the encryption - I now want to setup an automatic way of copying off my recordings to an external USB drive.

I'll keep you informed later on tonight when I have a tinker....

Well, I've got the new one up and running and installed the custom firmware. Looks like it's never been used - started up at the setup screen, nothing on the hard disk and the hard disk fan perfectly clean!
Tried the new front panel on my poorly one - exactly the same - nothing. I bet it's the mobo gone so there goes the chance of having 2 Hummys as Humax won't supply the mobos.
Put my old hard disk in and ran the fix-flash-packages diagnostic.

In June this year I noticed that I had started to get a lot of crash errors with my old Hummy when logging into the web interface - maybe that was a sign that all was not well.

I've tried to play some of my recordings (even SD) and I am getting a message saying the channel is scrambled - I understand that any unencrypted HD recording won't play but I thought that SD recordings would always play?

Am I missing something..... :(

Not sure. I think some people use rsync for that kind of thing, or maybe Sweeper can do it (or can be made to do it if the requirement is clear and useful).

Well, I've got the new one up and running and installed the custom firmware. Looks like it's never been used - started up at the setup screen, nothing on the hard disk and the hard disk fan perfectly clean!
What do the Hard drive diagnostics say about the power on hours of the hard drive?

What do the Hard drive diagnostics say about the power on hours of the hard drive?
I've got the old drive in at the moment (but have deleted all my recordings anyway as I can't use them) so will probably put the new one in once I've made a list of the packages I have installed - is there an automatic way to do this?
The POH of my old drive for reference is 13623 (Raw Value) is that the actual hours?

Back