HDR-FOX T2 dead :(

13,000 hours is roughly 18 months continuous. Does that sound right? My oldest HDR-FOX has 30,000 on the clock.

13,000 hours is roughly 18 months continuous. Does that sound right? My oldest HDR-FOX has 30,000 on the clock.
My two year old Seagate 2TB drive is currently showing just short of ten thousand hours; 13.6 hours a day out of standby which sounds about right.

Yep, I think so, it's nearly 4 years old but I have left the Power Management > Automatic Power Down - On which turns off after 3 hours I think? Has that probably helped to kill off my original mobo maybe?
What do most people do with the power settings?

Annoyingly, the whole plasma telly / Hummy / DVD / Xbox etc was running off of an old UPS from work so was nicely protected in that way from spikes etc but something still died on my old Hummy - it actually packed up sometime on the 18th August as that's when the last schedule backup was taken!

Yep, I think so, it's nearly 4 years old but I have left the Power Management > Automatic Power Down - On which turns off after 3 hours I think? Has that probably helped to kill off my original mobo maybe?
What do most people do with the power settings?
It isn't clear to me what the majority do but we let ours power down after 3 hours of inactivity. It might shorten the life of the hard drive but I would be a bit surprised if it had much effect on the motherboard; we have had ours a bit less than five years.

It isn't clear to me what the majority do but we let ours power down after 3 hours of inactivity. It might shorten the life of the hard drive but I would be a bit surprised if it had much effect on the motherboard; we have had ours a bit less than five years.
Yes, I can understand how the expansion and contraction would shorten the life of the hard drive, think I was just unlucky - most pc motherboards last considerably longer than 4 years.

If I setup Recursive Auto-Decrpt from the My Video directory would the recordings then be watchable if I put the hard disk in another HDR-FOX T2 i.e. another motherboard encryption algorithm?
Yes. This is why you should decrypt everything always (if you care about being able to watch the recordings).

most pc motherboards last considerably longer than 4 years.
Mine only lasted 18 months. Thankfully those nice people at Intel replaced it with a new one, although I was on the verge of just buying one. But it's caused me a lot of hassle. Good job most of my important stuff is in VMs so just carries on regardless of changes like this (once you get the base OS booted on an alternative board).
Laptops seem to last about 5-6 years before they develop Alzheimers.

Just resurrecting this thread as I've got some info to add to earlier posts. Rob Singlehurst and I seemed to agree that we had similar failures on machines that were of similar ages (purchased about two months apart) so we assumed that mobos were of similar age and appeared to have failed wihin a few days of each other. In my case the PSU voltages were correct (although I didn't scope them) so I assumed that the mobo was u/s. I eventually sourced another unit from eBay and intended to repace the 500Gb HDD with the 1Tb HDD from the original. Before I did so, I thought I would take the PSU from the new HDR and put it in the old one to prove to myself that the mobo was indeed faulty. I was surprised that the unit powered up with the display showing "Start System" and then "CFW 3.02" so at this point I powered off (I didn't have a HDD plugged in). Previously, the unit appeared dead with no display messages although PSU voltages were correct. I replaced the PSU again with the original and it continued to power up as normal. I therefore put the 1Tb HDD in and powered up. It switched on and then off again which I think is normal when mains is applied. I then switched on using the remote and it powered up but didn't appear to complete boot ups and started to go into boot cycles with the Humax logo appearing on screen followed by blank screens as it rebooted again. It went through a few boot cycles before powering up normally. Since that time yesterday it has gone through several on/off cycles (me using the remote) and a couple of mains on/off during which I put it physically back in position and it now seems to work normally. Has this odd behaviour been seen in the past? I'm keeping an eye on it as I expect an intermittent fault to re-emerge but I'm currently copying off 800Gb of decrypted material to a network drive...................

Well it lasted a couple of days. I came home late last night to find the unit indicating off (amber ring) but the display showed a frozen "CF version" Message. There was no reason for the unit to switch on because there were no scheduled recordings. For a couple of nights it had switched on and off okay both manually and via the "OTA Update Disable" package. Changing the PSU this time did not cure the problem so I've now concluded that the mobo is faulty. Failing after just over 3 years seems premature to me. I've always kept it cool (it's installed in an AV Rack with extra vent fans fitted, both at the rear and in the rack itself. Now about to get the replacement machine up and running with the old 1Tb drive which has now been fully decrypted so should work fine in the replacement unit, hopefully.

Have you investigated what happens if you swap the front board? I have had a front board failure. This lead to the unit scrolling through menus on its own and rebooting itself. If the fault is in the front board it is a relatively cheap part to replace: you can get one direct from Humax or you can buy a broken DTR-T1000 off eBay as they share the same front board and it is almost always the main board that dies in that model.

Thanks for that info. I had discounted the front board having this sort of effect but I will try a swop and see what happens..........

Back