HDR FOX T2 - does the tuner fall over at low temperatures?

Did the Humax work without any sort of amplifier ?

It did when it was the only thing connected to the aerial, but the reported signal strength was down towards the minimum level which Humax recommend. In order to share the aerial with other devices, I would have needed to insert at least a passive splitter (which I didn't have readily to hand) which would have reduced the level even more.

Are you suggesting that, if it works without amplification, the additional of an amplifier would inivitably overload its input?

WT

It did when it was the only thing connected to the aerial, but the reported signal strength was down towards the minimum level which Humax recommend. In order to share the aerial with other devices, I would have needed to insert at least a passive splitter (which I didn't have readily to hand) which would have reduced the level even more.

Are you suggesting that, if it works without amplification, the additional of an amplifier would inivitably overload its input?

WT

Not at all, merely that if the Humax works without amplification then adding a splitter and ditching the amp isn't likely to cause problems. You could of course turn off power saving on the Humax box and use the rf loop through (this adds a small amount of gain anyway). Add a RF modulator and you could also then watch the Humax using the remote TV's analogue tuner.

You could of course turn off power saving on the Humax box and use the rf loop through (this adds a small amount of gain anyway). Add a RF modulator and you could also then watch the Humax using the remote TV's analogue tuner.

Now, there's an idea! I did, in pre-SCART days distribute analog recordings from a VCR in that manner, but I somehow think it would leave a bit to be desired if I tried to do it with HD.

WT

Now, there's an idea! I did, in pre-SCART days distribute analog recordings from a VCR in that manner, but I somehow think it would leave a bit to be desired if I tried to do it with HD.

WT

HD should be better or equal to SD, the box outputs 576i from it's analogue outputs whether or not you are watching a HD channel. Not suitable for a very large TV, acceptable on a smallish screen bedroom TV.

The picture won't be that much different to watching SD on the remote TV.

HD should be better or equal to SD, the box outputs 576i from it's analogue outputs whether or not you are watching a HD channel. Not suitable for a very large TV, acceptable on a smallish screen bedroom TV.

The picture won't be that much different to watching SD on the remote TV.
Are you sure? Mine only passes the Freeview signal.

Are you sure? Mine only passes the Freeview signal.

He is talking about using an RF modulator - presumably taking its input from an analog output (phono or SCART). This would have to be set up to produce a modulated signal on a channel not used for Freeview - and the picture would have to be received using a remote TV's analog tuner.

Even if I wanted to do that, my FOX T2 and distribution amp are nowhere near each other, so it would be quite difficult.

WT

OK. Then you would need to feed another coaxial cable into the loft, or wherever, to carry the modulated signal. We had this system and called it the uplink. Now redundant I use it to feed a separate Freeview signal to the Humax via a 4way distribution amp in the loft. (Feeds my main TV, bedroom and kitchen TVs as well)

I installed all the cables I thought I would ever need about 10 years ago during a house extension exercise. It would be a lot more difficult to run extra cables now.

What I could possibly do is use a wireless video sender to carry the T2's recorded output to a TV in another room.

WT

I have used these but could never get the infrared sender to work reliably. With ir remote to control the Humax I might bring them back into service for occasional use in the back bedroom.
I am lucky that I have an easy route into the loft and have pulled an A/V cable with RCA Phono plugs through so I have a direct connection. Very good picture on a 42" HD ready TV.

I installed all the cables I thought I would ever need about 10 years ago during a house extension exercise. It would be a lot more difficult to run extra cables now.

What I could possibly do is use a wireless video sender to carry the T2's recorded output to a TV in another room.

WT

The HDR FOX T2 has a DLNA server. If it's connected to home network you can use this to stream recordings to your network. You can do this without additional wiring using homeplugs. Adding the Custom Firmware allows removal of encryption simplifying this capability. You also get a Web Interface remote control that you can control the box using a laptop, smart phone tablet etc using WiFi.

I think what this thread has shown is that it is all too easy to get dragged into a line of investigation without standing back and eliminating the usual suspects. Andy Hurley on Jan 3 was willing to put money on the Distribution Amplifier. Very prophetic.

One final point, as was pointed out to me once, the use of Capital Letters is the net way of Shouting - only to be used in extreme conditions.

Martin

Should I take a bow?

:D

Glad it's fixed anyway.

The HDR FOX T2 has a DLNA server. If it's connected to home network you can use this to stream recordings to your network. You can do this without additional wiring using homeplugs. Adding the Custom Firmware allows removal of encryption simplifying this capability. You also get a Web Interface remote control that you can control the box using a laptop, smart phone tablet etc using WiFi.

That's fine if you want to watch footage on a computer or something of similar intelligence. I'm not sure it helps in gettingt it to a humble TV though.

WT

Should I take a bow?

:D

Glad it's fixed anyway.

By all means take a bow. I'm glad it's fixed, too!

One problem is that the initial symptoms were misleading (to me, at any rate). At first, the picture breakup was only on recordings made while we were away from home, and while the house was cold - hence the subject of the thread. It was only later that it started to happen more generally. I suppose it's possible that the distribution amp may have started to play up just at low temperatures, and then got worse over time. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

WT

That's fine if you want to watch footage on a computer or something of similar intelligence. I'm not sure it helps in gettingt it to a humble TV though.

WT

I think I am right in saying any Freeview HD certified TV or STB has to have DLNA support so that may not be as big an issue as it might at first seem.

I think I am right in saying any Freeview HD certified TV or STB has to have DLNA support so that may not be as big an issue as it might at first seem.

Not true, Smart TV's will have some sort of media client, but compatibility across brands can be very iffy. A PS3 will cope with many formats though. Freeview-HD just means the tuner(s) is DVB-T2 compliant nothing else. A HD FOX T2 will work nicely with a HDR FOX T2 as a media client (Because it has DTCHP-IP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Transmission_Content_Protection ) support you can also view HD content from a HDR FOX T2, without any firmware mods).

My Smart TV can see MediaTomb on my HD-Fox, although it says HDR-FOX T2, but cannot find any video files.

Not true, Smart TV's will have some sort of media client, but compatibility across brands can be very iffy. A PS3 will cope with many formats though. Freeview-HD just means the tuner(s) is DVB-T2 compliant nothing else. A HD FOX T2 will work nicely with a HDR FOX T2 as a media client (Because it has DTCHP-IP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Transmission_Content_Protection ) support you can also view HD content from a HDR FOX T2, without any firmware mods).

I can't find the references now but there was a big hoo-ha when the Freeview HD certification started because it made additional requirements that were nothing to do with DVB-T2 or video compression standards. One of those things was the need for an IP connection.

Perhaps I'm getting confused and that was Freeview+ HD.

As for getting DLNA playback working from the HDR FOX T2, I've had no problems and use it every night to catch up on recorded TV shows before going off to sleep. Admittedly I use my laptop rather than a smart TV but clearly the streaming works.

Back