HDR-FOX T2 HDD Replacement

I regard all of that as custom firmware, you are splitting hairs.
The firmware is the stuff that is in non-volatile storage and stays when you change (or take out) the disk. Anything else is software.
You don't need to re-flash the firmware image if you change the disk. It is an important distinction and I don't really care what you regard.
You are just wrong, and I'm not splitting hairs.

The OS is in Flash so you can just connect a new blank disc, format it and start from there. If you have installed the custom firmware on the old drive you will have to do that again, but that's no harder the second time than it was the first.
Thank you for that

See the original post for details how to chose a replacement drive, but note there is a risk your HDD is not being recognised because the interface has failed rather than the drive. If you can at least take the drive out and test it to confirm it has failed, that would be a good move.
Thank you BH. I will remove the HD and test it with a PC. (Blimey - three sets of capital pairs!)

Watch this space....

You need to be aware that the HDD (presuming it works) is formatted Ext3, so Windows will not "see" a file system on it*. The best thing to do is boot a live Linux.

* It has been reported that Win11 can access Ext3, or you could add driver software such as Linux Reader or Ext2Fsd.

Last edited:
You need to be aware that the HDD (presuming it works) is formatted Ext3, so Windows will not "see" a file system on it. The best thing to do is boot a live Linux.
Linux - Oh dear! Could I try to re-format it to FAT32 on the PC first? Alternatively, I could risk buying a replacement HD and fiiting it and keep my fingers crossed....

Linux - Oh dear!
It's not that hard, and modern Linuxes are very Windows-like if you choose the right one. For this, all you will need is GParted (a HDD partition manager) to inspect the disk, well worth having in the toolbox.

However, if you really can't stomach booting Linux (or maybe your PC won't let you anyway), try one of the utilities for Windows I mentioned above.

Could I try to re-format it to FAT32 on the PC first?
You could... if you don't mind wiping whatever's on it.

I could risk buying a replacement HD and fiiting it and keep my fingers crossed....
At current prices, that's a serious undertaking.

It's not that hard, and modern Linuxes are very Windows-like if you choose the right one. For this, all you will need is GParted (a HDD partition manager) to inspect the disk, well worth having in the toolbox.

You could... if you don't mind wiping whatever's on it.
Thanks BH. I know nothing about Linux and I'm probably a bit long in the tooth to try to start learning. I have already mentally written off what was on the old drive (The Great Escape, Bullseye and Emmerdale Farm. I think) so I think that's the way for me to go.

Julie

No learning required. But I think you might not have picked up the final version of my post.
Just seen it BH. It wasn't highlighted in orange so I didn't think it was a reply to me. Windows 11 eh? I'm only 4 short of that - I only upgraded from XP to W7 last year. Also, I still have a Sony Betamax VCR and you should see my mobile phone....

Hah! That's nothing. I'm still using XP! (Trying to use, as many websites and most modern software are unusable)

Being a hoarder collector, I'm sure I must have a PC (of some sort) with 3.1 installed somewhere...

Being a hoarder collector, I'm sure I must have a PC (of some sort) with 3.1 installed somewhere...
I still have my Tandy Model 100 but I haven't used it for many years. Clinging on to that stopped me from getting a PC for a long time. When I eventually gave in, it was with Windows 95 and a Toshiba Satellite laptop. Still got that - must try to power it up sometime....

I've still got a working desktop that came with Windows 98. At some point something went wrong and I could only get Damn Small Linux to run. Managed eventually to install Windows 2000. The 3.5" floppy drive still works but the Iomega Zip drive gave up the ghost. My original PC with 5.25" floppy drives went to that great scrap heap in the sky. That probably had Windows 3.1 on it.

Amiga 500, Tandy Win95 ,Dell Win98 desktops and a HP win7 laptop all gathering dust in the loft, writing this on a HP Win8.1 laptop that refuses to give up the ghost even though QJKZXandV are the only letters that are still visible on the keyboard and a Win11 gaming laptop I bought in the last Black Friday sales that I am keeping unclutered.

I also have a still working Humax 9200 in the loft my trusty T2 and a Aura that I have not even plugged in yet that I bought last year as it was at a bargain price.

Last edited:
Back