HDR-FOX T2 HDD Replacement

I was just reading through everything quickly and saw something about removing the encryption on HD which was a nice sounding surprise, but I didn't read in-depth enough to understand. I don't have the relevant CF on my foxsats (yet!) I don't remember if encryption can be removed on HD recordings on the Fox T2 too, maybe? So a bit of reading to do. I usually record in SD, to save space mostly but.........

Anyway, I've got a new HDD on the way so that's priority. And er.... I might have another Fox T2 that could be fixed too................ ;-) Though I need to see what working condition it's in, as I can't remember exactly what went wrong. So I'll concentrate on them. Besides, my ethernet cable is very long and hanging through the stairs and I need to make sure elderly parents don't trip on it.. Which then hampers being able to connect 'permanently' as I can't keep the cable attached.

Reading to do :)

Decryption on HDR-FOX requires some setting up, but all the information is on the forum and/or wiki.

On Foxsat, IIRC it's only HiDef which gets encrypted on disk, and the only way to deal with that is "Nowster's Patch" which is separate from the Custom Firmware. The patch just prevents new recordings being encrypted, it does not decrypt anything already encrypted.

Hello. Hoping you might be able to advise.

I've been experimenting with a spare 6TB Seagate SkyHawk (ST6000VX001). I've had a look through previous posts and read that drives larger than 4TB can cause issues with the Humax software. I formatted the drive using the excellent CF GPT option in the maintenance telnet menu. Here is the reported disk size from the Humax interface:
humax-size1.jpg
It seems to be very keen to reserve 3/4 of the drive. The web interface sees a more reasonable free size.
humax-size2.jpg
I am able to fill it beyond 2TB, but as soon as the Humax software "Available Size" goes below 0MB then it declares the drive as full.

My current thinking was to shrink partition 2 down to 2TB. Shift partition 3 to the end of that and add a 4th partition of 4TB to the end. Then mount it as a directory within /media/My Video (or as a drive in the /media directory, eg. /media/drive4) so I can access it from the Humax interface. Does that seem like a reasonable way forward? Please let me know if I'm missing anything obvious :).

Otherwise, I'm happy just use it in reduced "1/4 drive mode".

I am able to fill it beyond 2TB, but as soon as the Humax software "Available Size" goes below 0MB then it declares the drive as full.
The Humax software is confused since it expects the drive to be no larger than 2TB. Ignore it if everything works fine.

Have a guess. RTFM.
The wiki has nothing about vbigdisk, so what manual do you speak of? My understanding is that the current custom firmware supports very large discs out of the box, so it isn't obvious to me why a package would be needed.

The CF does, but the Humax software doesn't, as per the recent discussion. This is an attempt to fix it or rather workaround it.
I don't have anything bigger than 4TB, so I've never tried it personally.

The "Available" tab on the Package Management page in the WebIf says Fakes the size of disks > 4TB so that the Humax software copes.

Have you tried installing the vbigdisk package and rebooting?
Thanks @prpr! I hadn't spotted that package in my searches. It worked a treat and now I have:
Available Size3693.8 GB
Used Size20.0 GB
Reserved Size2307.2 GB
Total Size6001.0 GB
Very happy :).

Thank you for the excellent info. However, not having any experience with this sort of thing, I would appreciate a little clarification:

Our HDR-FOX has had a couple of glitches for a while - for a few years it has sometimes 'crashed' when asked to move a file or folder (freeze, reboot with flash of green-screen), but for the past two weeks has intermittently been rebooting itself through the start cycle when switched on from standby (only cure is to unplug for a few minutes before trying again).
We've never had it connected to the internet, just the TV, and only use the SD channels.

I have no knowledge of firmware!
When we switch on, it says Ver a7.31. Looking on the Humax website, for the HDR-FOX T2 it offers software update – Application version : FHTCP-1.03.13 – Loader version : a7.34
I don't know if I should try installing this or not - is it likely to fix the issues, or just cause new ones?

Based on what I've read here, if it is a failing HDD and in need of replacement (I'm willing to try, thanks to your instructions), I plan to use a Seagate Skyhawk 1TB. I was considering a 2TB, but you said not to use anything with a spindle speed above 5900rpm (the 2TB is listed as 7200rpm). Is it workable with a 2TB, or will the spindle speed cause a problem?

You didn't state what your existing firmware version is. The a7.31 is the loader (part of the boot process), not the operating software.
If it's 1.03.12 then no, otherwise yes.

Unless you are specific about model numbers of disks, it is not possible to say whether it's recommended or not. Mostly anything will work, but some are better suited than others.

Of course, your best bet is to install the custom firmware for some proper disk diagnostics, rather than just guessing.
It sounds like it might not be the disk anyway, but a motherboard component problem.

@SilverRose
The remote buttons to which firmware version you are currently using are:
MENU >> Settings >> System >> System Information
then look 2 rows down at what the "Software Version" states.
It will start with FHTCP and then be followed by the version number.

I use 1.02.20 on one machine and 1.03.12 on another, but 1.02.29 and 1.03.13 may also be OK for you.
If in doubt go for 1.03.12.

Documented details of the still relevant versions are at https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Which_Version .
There is an out of date detail on that page: 1.03.12 (and 1.03.13) no longer supports iPlayer.

As prpr states, you are currently guessing that you have a hard disk problem. The "Custom firmware" starter is available from this forum site packaged with each of the prime versions. It does not directly impact the menus you see on your TV. If you do update the Humax firmware you might as well include it in the update as when you install a Custom Firmware a Humax firmware version is always also included. https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Firmware_Downloads2

Last edited:
Thank you for the excellent info. However, not having any experience with this sort of thing, I would appreciate a little clarification:

Our HDR-FOX has had a couple of glitches for a while - for a few years it has sometimes 'crashed' when asked to move a file or folder (freeze, reboot with flash of green-screen), but for the past two weeks has intermittently been rebooting itself through the start cycle when switched on from standby (only cure is to unplug for a few minutes before trying again).
We've never had it connected to the internet, just the TV, and only use the SD channels.

I have no knowledge of firmware!
When we switch on, it says Ver a7.31. Looking on the Humax website, for the HDR-FOX T2 it offers software update – Application version : FHTCP-1.03.13 – Loader version : a7.34
I don't know if I should try installing this or not - is it likely to fix the issues, or just cause new ones?

Based on what I've read here, if it is a failing HDD and in need of replacement (I'm willing to try, thanks to your instructions), I plan to use a Seagate Skyhawk 1TB. I was considering a 2TB, but you said not to use anything with a spindle speed above 5900rpm (the 2TB is listed as 7200rpm). Is it workable with a 2TB, or will the spindle speed cause a problem?
Your starting point should be a different place, which will explain all: Quick Guide to Disk Recovery (click)

@SilverRose
The remote buttons to which firmware version you are currently using are:
MENU >> Settings >> System >> System Information
then look 2 rows down at what the "Software Version" states.
It will start with FHTCP and then be followed by the version number.
Thank you - as said, I'm an absolute novice at this! It appears we are on 1.03.12

I'm at a loss on firmware - the custom ones seem to relate to if you connect the Humax to the internet (sorry if I've misunderstood that), which we don't, so no need for anything releating to iPlayer.

Back