HDR-Fox T2 keeps resetting to factory settings

My HDR-Fox T2 has twice reverted to "factory" settings today - powering itself off and asking me to set the language, tuning, etc when I start it up. I'm running custom firmware. Any idea what might be causing this?
Edit: having just reconfigured everything (including LAN settings) and restored my backup schedules using the web IF, I rebooted and it had forgotten the LAN settings - I had to re-enter them
???

Last edited:
it might just be getting too hot.
Do you have the Sysmon and Fan packages installed?
They allow you to monitor temperature and adjust fan speed to avoid peaks.

Also boot-settings packages resets settings that sometimes get lost (but not LAN settings)

Last edited:
My HDR-Fox T2 has twice reverted to "factory" settings today - powering itself off and asking me to set the language, tuning, etc when I start it up. I'm running custom firmware. Any idea what might be causing this?
Edit: having just reconfigured everything (including LAN settings) and restored my backup schedules using the web IF, I rebooted and it had forgotten the LAN settings - I had to re-enter them
???
Have a look at this thread here. Next time it happens do a factory reset (without HDD format) using the remote control.

Thanks for all the feedback. Yes I have now seen warning messages re. temperature exceeding 50 degrees. I do have the fan and sysmon packages installed - I have minimum fan speed set to 69% - should I increase it? (it's currently running at 46 degrees according to sysmon).

I do have the fan and sysmon packages installed - I have minimum fan speed set to 69% - should I increase it?
I've had to increase mine this week. I don't know what the correlation is between hard disk temperature and flash memory though. None that I can see...

You could also check that the air vents are clean unless you have done that already.

So the problems continue....I did a factory reset and a system flush, but the box keeps shutting down, losing scheduled recordings, favourite channels and network settings. I still see the temperature warnings (above 50 degrees), even though I have the fan set to 85%.
Is it time to put the box out of its misery?

OK so I finally got around to opening it up tonight and the fan wasn't spinning at all. No problem, I thought, as I had an old HDR-Fox T2 in the loft (which had been retired due to not responding to IR commands), so I borrowed the fan from that and replaced the faulty one. But the replacement fan doesn't spin either. Could it be a problem with the fan connector on the motherboard? Any suggestions for what to try next?

Apologies - I had missed your previous post. With the box operating at a "normal" temperature (less than 35 degrees) I just restored a recording schedule from a couple of weeks ago (having viewed it first to verify it), then rebooted. The schedule was not restored (i.e. the schedule was still empty). Does this indicate a problem with the NVR?
(Edit: it is also forgetting my favourite channels every time it reboots, and every time I schedule a recording from the web IF it tells me that a reboot is required. So all in all, it's pretty screwed at the moment!)

No. I'm hoping it's just the heat, or that a system flush or factory reset might fix it. Not getting any help though...

Ok so I've replaced the fan, done a factory reset, then a system flush. The network settings and favourites were forgotten after the reboot, but the scheduled recordings were remembered this time. Setting the fan to 100% doesn't get it to start up, even though the temp is up above 55 now, so I'm progressing with investigations as per your post. I haven't set up a test rig for the fan itself, but since I've tried another fan I'm assuming (!) that the fan is OK but the driver isn't.
Before hard-wiring the fan to a permanent supply, I'm curious to know why the problems persisted after the box had been factory reset and flushed, and was still operating at 35 degrees (prompting to reboot whenever a recording was scheduled via the web IF, forgetting favourites and network settings, ...). With the box operating at a normal temperature, does this indicate that the fan is not the only problem?

With the box operating at a normal temperature, does this indicate that the fan is not the only problem?
Maybe. I'm waiting to find out whether there are in fact any helpful logs for the schedule restore operation before I investigate further - I can't find anything.

I'm waiting to find out whether there are in fact any helpful logs for the schedule restore operation
There aren't, but it displays progress as it goes. Nobody has posted any of their output, so I assume it doesn't say anything that would indicate there's a problem.
it is also forgetting my favourite channels every time it reboots
What does sqlite3 /var/lib/humaxtv/channel.db ".dump tbl_fav" from the command line say, both before and after?
every time I schedule a recording from the web IF it tells me that a reboot is required
That sounds like something wrong with RTS. Check nugget status or nugget ping from the command line.

Back