HDR-FOX T2 Overheating hard disk solution

David Wood

I've been getting the message 'too hot' on the front panel for some time now often the disk will be over 50 degrees. Even under normal operation the disk runs very hot so I decided to put some cooling in.
I have bought a hard disk heat sink & fan which 'just' fits on top of the disk after cutting out the plastic on top of the disk enclosure. The fan is plugged into the main feed so is on all the time when active but totally silent (since it's a 90mm one not the small type which are always noisy) Next I've cut a hole in the cover and bought a stick on filter/cover to make it look decent.
Results so far: from being around 48+ degreees the temperature is now 28 degrees, currently recording 2 HD channels plus playing iPlayer. Obviously this should improve the lifespan of the disk - the Humax solution seems not to work since it doesn't come in until the disk is very hot already 50 degrees and the little fan too noisy.

And keeps it cool inaudibly with no add one stuff. But your method sounds like a goodish mod and your HDD runs cooler than mine which runs at 44 deg with 54% fan.
Presumably, as you have posted in the custom firmware section, you are already aware of the fan package though.

Custom firmware must be installed, as he has the tempmon package installed.

Yes I have custom firmware and really this does away with the small Humax fan although it will kick in at 50 degrees. I've checked again and the average drop in temp is 20 degrees using Sysmon the temp has literally dropped off a cliff!
I'll put photos on when possible

Hi,
How do you connect the fan up internally, do you replace the existing fan, meaning that there is no air extraction at the back?
The last picture looks like you've made a hole in the top of the case, is that so, or is it a reflection of something above?
EDIT: After fully reading your first post I see you had to cut holes, a bit drastic, but it looks like it does the job.

Last edited:
That looks interesting, but I cannot see where it says what voltage it is.

I suspect 12v, but hoping for 5v.

Can you tell me please?

I've been getting the message 'too hot' on the front panel.
Without the 'Fan' package, the normal Humax fan operation won't switch on until a temperature of 56 Deg C is reached, so if the Maximum 'Too Hot' message is below say 60 Deg C, then there has never been a problem with the unit overheating. Most units will have a 'Worst' (maximum ever) temperature of about 56 - 58 Deg C, this is normal

The temperature at which the 'Too Hot' message is displayed can be changed in 'Settings', I have suggested in the WiKi notes, (Click HERE) that the default of 50 Deg C should be raised to 60 Deg C

Last edited:
I ask because, my ASUS router, an RT-AC88U, gets rather hot. It's running Merlin firmware and the CPU temperature is reported to be 75 degrees. I have sat it on a laptop cooler stand, which has two fans both powered from the router's USB port. It has lowered the temperature to 56 degrees which I am happy with.

The minor issue I have is that the fans, although quite quiet, are still audible and have become a bit annoying. if I can have a larger fan spinning slower, then that might be the answer.

Hi,
How do you connect the fan up internally, do you replace the existing fan, meaning that there is no air extraction at the back?
The last picture looks like you've made a hole in the top of the case, is that so, or is it a reflection of something above?
EDIT: After fully reading your first post I see you had to cut holes, a bit drastic, but it looks like it does the job.

The fan connects to the direct main feed (i.e. the one to the disk) not the one for the back fan. I've left the back one & it will come on if the temp happened to get high.
It is a bit drastic so you need to be careful - the top of the plastic enclosure is very brittle so do it bit by bit after marking the area needing cutting.
The case I cut through with a hole saw again easy goes! One other think I used CPU grease to connect the heat sink to the hard disk to get good conduction.

I don't think the circulation was that good anyway to the rear fan

It can't be 'top quality '. I am waiting for an email saying that he made a mistake and retracts out of the sale.

Me too. So long as they don't sound like a Massey Ferguson, that's fine by me.:)

Last edited:
Back