HDR FOX T2 reboot cycle

I don't recommend removing the orange filter if it is too bright already. The display does dim over time so it is probably just that the board is newer that is making it bright. If you don't need RF passthrough, you can turn the standby clock off (Menu button>settings>system>power management>power saving in standby>on). If you have custom firmware you can install the redring package and this gives you a lot of control over the display and illuminated ring, including the brightness of each.

I will install the CF, you you know where to learn how to get the red ring package? At the moment I'm using blue tack (like a sticky putty, not sure what it's called in usa) to cover the ring, looks rubbish but it's only in the bedroom like I said earlier. Thanks again.

Search the forum and wiki for "redring" (or just install it from the WebIF package management - obvious once you install the CF - and configure under Settings). There is no control over the VFD brightness; that will dim with age.* The VFD will dim with age.

* I stand corrected.

Last edited:
@Jailbrkr21. There are options to change both the VFD and LED ring brightness in redring. As a low tech solution for dimming the VFD you could remove the old board from the original plastic front (this takes a bit of wiggling and pressing of lugs) then remove the orange filter from the display of the old board, and use both orange filters with the new board.

@Jailbrkr21. There are options to change both the VFD and LED ring brightness in redring. As a low tech solution for dimming the VFD you could remove the old board from the original plastic front (this takes a bit of wiggling and pressing of lugs) then remove the orange filter from the display of the old board, and use both orange filters with the new board.

That's a good idea but I think the software route is best because I can change it to brighter and then dimmer more easily. Thanks.

Ok calm down people, I didn't know it was a uk forum, I don't get to see web addresses on this phone app and I tend to get more replied when I'm sleeping or very late, so wake up to them, that's why I thought it must be a US site.

One thing that has been on the to-do list for a while is to add a dynamic slider to the redring settings page so that you can change the brightness in real-time in order to find the right setting.. haven't had any tuits (of any shape) unfortunately but I might try and do that over the weekend.

I've not fully tested the led ring options, but it appears that while it is possible to set the intensity to zero whilst on or in standby, while half awake, the minimum is 10%.

Ok calm down people, I didn't know it was a uk forum, I don't get to see web addresses on this phone app and I tend to get more replied when I'm sleeping or very late, so wake up to them, that's why I thought it must be a US site.
Nobody's uncalm, we're just having banter - can't you take a leg-pulling? Don't tell me you're using Tapatalk! Some of us don't sleep much, and in any case there will be more going on at night than daytime - particularly weekdays.

AFAIK the HDR-FOX is marketed in the UK, not the US.

Nobody's uncalm, we're just having banter - can't you take a leg-pulling? Don't tell me you're using Tapatalk! Some of us don't sleep much, and in any case there will be more going on at night than daytime - particularly weekdays.

AFAIK the HDR-FOX is marketed in the UK, not the US.

Yes I take a joke and like banter, I know it was just banter hence my comment was made tongue in cheek,

Maybe it's for me to know and you to guess.

I still see no benefit in using "AFAIA" when "AFAIK" means practically the same thing.

Back