HDR-FOX T2 to HDHomeRun, my journey

With or without cataracts, it's clear to see that HD is getting worse over time, while SD is benefitting from the bandwidth saving advances trialled on HD. Broadcasters seemed to be fixated on reducing bandwidth ('cos they pay by the bit), only stopping short at transmitting blocky pictures. HD bandwidth has reduced from 20 megabits per second in the early days, to around 4mbps currently. Encoding H264 hasn't improved fivefold in the intervening time, so removing detail, texture and sparkle has made up most of the gap. Meanwhile SD has shown the benefits of greater processing power, and improved slightly.

Not to mention that the number of pixels on the displays never match the number of pixels being transmitted, so receivers have to scale the pictures, with some being worse than others, followed by artificial enhancements to make the results 'acceptable'.

No, I'm not in a bad mood...

Last edited:
I was on the point of getting the aerial installer out to have a look and have been recording CH4 HD on the humax as well the HomeRun.

We started watching Lost Treasures of Rome last night, recorded on the HomeRun and the picture was perfect, no glitches or anything. I'll try another couple of programmes, but it's very odd

Has anyone managed to use the HDHomeRun app (Windows or Anroid) over a VPN? I have tried both OpenVPN and Windows Server VPN and the HDHomeRun device cannot be detected by the HDHomeRun client app. The IP address of the HDHomeRun is visible, and I can watch TV by pasting the relevant URL into VLC, but the HDHomeRun app doesn't detect the tuner.
???

Presumably it needs a layer 2 connection, not a layer 3 one. Like everything that uses broadcast discovery.

Presumably it needs a layer 2 connection, not a layer 3 one. Like everything that uses broadcast discovery.
The HDHomeRun has a deliberate TTL (Time To Live on the networking side) setting of 1, this means it will only go one hop so is forced to stay on the same local network. I think this is due to legal reasons and so that HDHomeRun can not be considered a broadcasting device of live TV.

Struggling to install SqlLocalDB.msi - install fails trying to start SQL Server service - insufficient privileges ? Win11 Pro OS 64bit with x64 Proc. Have re-installed fresh copy of windows, same error. Installed ok on my Desktop PC but not my Intel NuC. Suggestion welcome!

Attachments

• IMG_2789.jpeg
    IMG_2789.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 8
@steve2525 it's nice to see someone else giving DVROnTime a go! You could try working through THIS thread. Most people with this error seem to have a missing Visual C++ Runtime DLL...

Well my 6 year old Humax FVP400T is grinding to a halt.
While looking for a replacement I came across this thread and it looks v.interesting.
Question - How do you set a recording? Is it web based only or can you have an nice wife friendly interface on a TV?
Currently running Kodi on a NUC so can that be used?

SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro​

HDHR Flex Quatro is currently £155 on Amazon - Is that the correct tuner and is that a sensible price?

Hoping I finally find a Topfield+MyStuff replacement after all these years :)

Cheers

Well my 6 year old Humax FVP400T is grinding to a halt.
While looking for a replacement I came across this thread and it looks v.interesting.
Question - How do you set a recording? Is it web based only or can you have an nice wife friendly interface on a TV?
Currently running Kodi on a NUC so can that be used?

SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro​

HDHR Flex Quatro is currently £155 on Amazon - Is that the correct tuner and is that a sensible price?

Hoping I finally find a Topfield+MyStuff replacement after all these years :)

Cheers
Same price from Silicon Dust https://shopuk.silicondust.com/shop/
You might find lower on eBay, I did, but some people were asking more than retail when they were out of stock!
Don't buy their recording software, not needed with DvrOnTime

Recording is via webpage but if you have a Smart TV you can probably view webpage on the TV

AFAIK you can't schedule recording via Kodi, no interface plugin - there is no API to allow access to DvrOnTime EPG and recording schedule.

For wife friendly recording and Playback also take a look at the Humax Aura

I'd like to run dvrontime on a machine that doesn't need to run 24/7. Obviously it would need to be "awake" to access the UI, but will it wake the host machine from sleep mode to make scheduled recordings?

I'd like to run dvrontime on a machine that doesn't need to run 24/7. Obviously it would need to be "awake" to access the UI, but will it wake the host machine from sleep mode to make scheduled recordings?
We have discussed this before and @lc200 (the DVROnTime author) confirmed sleep mode does not work unfortunately, see HERE

Yes, agreed. I also have a NAS which is on 24/7 too and unfortunately DVROnTime won't run on that either ☹️ I had a look at what Channels DVR uses on Windows (as it's similar to DVROnTime and uses HD Homeruns) and it works out when the next recording is and sets a sleep wake timer (can be viewed via Powercfg) to wake the PC up 3 mins before the recording is due. Whilst recording it also prevents the PC from sleeping. @lc200 is that what you were doing with DVROnTime when it did not work?

Last edited:
I've dipped in and out of this thread for a few months. Just to save me reading twenty two pages of really interesting info, could someone/anyone give me the bare bones on this machine.

I've got that it's Freeview and records programs to a windows machine.
Can I connect this to my network via the modem router that is installed where the T2 is. This has a CAT 6 cable to a switch which has PC's, Nas's and all the usual clutter on it?
I believe I don't need to pay the yearly program guide subscription (I had a "lifetime" one with TiVo) if I use alternative software.
Can I play recorded, or live, content on smart TV's using the GUI that comes with it?
Is the content encrypted or can it be played on any TV or PC ETC that is on the network?

That's about all for now, and there is no urgency, but I'd like to click the buy button on Amazon within the next 2 hrs and 36 minutes, so I can get it on Friday. :)

TIA

Can I connect this to my network via the modem router that is installed where the T2 is. This has a CAT 6 cable to a switch which has PC's, Nas's and all the usual clutter on it?
I believe I don't need to pay the yearly program guide subscription (I had a "lifetime" one with TiVo) if I use alternative software.
Can I play recorded, or live, content on smart TV's using the GUI that comes with it?
Is the content encrypted or can it be played on any TV or PC ETC that is on the network?
The HD Homerun tuner connects to your LAN and as long as the Windows PC can see it on the network you should have no issues. Hardwiring the PC and the HD Homerun via a switch/hub is the best way to go. There are no subscription charges. Most smart TV's recognise the HD Homerun tuners for Live TV. You can't play back content via the DVROnTime UI, that is only used to access the guide and schedule recordings. To watch recorded content you would need a video player capable of playing back the recordings over the network (.TS or .M2TS files which are not encrypted). Kodi or Plex is normally recommended. If your Smart TV is Android based you'll probably have the most options...

The HD Homerun tuner connects to your LAN and as long as the Windows PC can see it on the network you should have no issues. Hardwiring the PC and the HD Homerun via a switch/hub is the best way to go. There are no subscription charges. Most smart TV's recognise the HD Homerun tuners for Live TV. You can't play back content via the DVROnTime UI, that is only used to access the guide and schedule recordings. To watch recorded content you would need a video player capable of playing back the recordings over the network (.TS or .M2TS files which are not encrypted). Kodi or Plex is normally recommended. If your Smart TV is Android based you'll probably have the most options...
Thank you for the heads up, I looks like you've covered everything. It has to be worth it for what it has to offer.

I have one Android smart TV and one Philips which is not Android but I have VLC on it.

Pete

Back