HDR-FOX T2 to HDHomeRun, my journey

Any idea why the Guide no longer shows information for BBC4 HD (Ch 106) whereas the standard BBC4 SD (Ch 9) information comes through fine. (And yes - I have done a manual refresh of the Guide)
FYI - Ch 207 (BBC News HD) also doesn't seem to have info.

Like to record in HD where available so this is an issue for BBC4.

Tony

Any idea why the Guide no longer shows information for BBC4 HD (Ch 106) whereas the standard BBC4 SD (Ch 9) information comes through fine. (And yes - I have done a manual refresh of the Guide)

Me too. Tried to fix by re-tuning DvrOnTime (and remembered to scroll down and save the results) but still no BBC4 HD. Then tried tuniong HDRHomeRun and found that BBC4HD is available (London, Crystal Palace) on HDHomeRun, and also works on my Humax Fox T2. Tried again with DvrOnTime (v1.0.4), but without success.

Last edited:
Can't see a reason why BBC4 HD would have an issue, fine here and just retuned and it is there.

Have you checked the frequencies you have set to tune for in DvrOnTime? If you visit the link below it will tell you what channels you should be tuning into. Hope that helps.

Code:
https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/coverage-checker/detailed-view?postcode=<Add your postcode without space>

Can't see a reason why BBC4 HD would have an issue, fine here and just retuned and it is there.

Have you checked the frequencies you have set to tune for in DvrOnTime? If you visit the link below it will tell you what channels you should be tuning into. Hope that helps.

Code:
https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/coverage-checker/detailed-view?postcode=<Add your postcode without space>
All of the HD channels should be on the same mux PSB3/BBC B so it shouldn't be possible to have some HD channels without the others
I retuned DvrOnTime and confirm that it found all 11 channels on the mux - the same as the Humax.

All of the HD channels should be on the same mux PSB3/BBC B so it shouldn't be possible to have some HD channels without the others
I retuned DvrOnTime and confirm that it found all 11 channels on the mux - the same as the Humax.
I agree with your logic totally. However, there used to be 7 muxes here in London, now reduced to 6.

After further investigation, I can see the HDHomeRun tuner has found the new BBC4 HD on the PSB3/BBCB mux on Channel 30 (546MHz) here in London.

DvrOnTime, after re-tuning, still thinks BBC4 HD is on the now defunct mux that is not broadcasting on Channel 55 (746MHz), and so does not display the guide.

Is there a way to tell DvrOnTime to forget this old info and look for the new info?

I agree with your logic totally. However, there used to be 7 muxes here in London, now reduced to 6.

After further investigation, I can see the HDHomeRun tuner has found the new BBC4 HD on the PSB3/BBCB mux on Channel 30 (546MHz) here in London.

DvrOnTime, after re-tuning, still thinks BBC4 HD is on the now defunct mux that is not broadcasting on Channel 55 (746MHz), and so does not display the guide.

Is there a way to tell DvrOnTime to forget this old info and look for the new info?
Have you made sure the frequencies/channels on the Tuner page before you start tuning are set to include all the new ones, so it should have channel 30 in the list so that it can pick up on it?

However, there used to be 7 muxes here in London, now reduced to 6.
Correction! There are still seven muxes in London. There is local stuff on Channel 35. I found a lot of out of date info on the web before finding digitalbitrate.com which monitors what is on air today.

That doesn't solve my problem, though. The more I look, the worse it gets. I now realise I am missing lots of recent additions to the channel lineup, and still have many stations that are no longer operating.

This is what happens when I retune:

On the Settings page, I press the Tune Channels button.
I check that all the frequencies and channel numbers are correct for my area for today, and press the Start Tuning button.
I confirm by pressing Start Tuning again on the pop-up.
I watch the tuning process and notice that all muxes are found as the number of TV and Radio channels are listed for each.
When the tuning process finishes, I read the whole list of station names that have been found, including all sorts of new stuff (BBC3HD, Great Movies, etc) and no old stuff (Forces TV, etc).
Then I press the Set These Channels button at the foot of the list of station names.
The pop-up warns these will replace all currently tuned channels and that the guide will be emptied and repopulate over the next few minutes.
I press the Yes Update To These Found Channels button.
At this point the Guide reverts to its previous condition exactly. No new stations are displayed in the guide. No old stations are removed from the guide. And the guide is not cleared and does not update until the next scheduled update time. After the scheduled update (or a manual one) still nothing changes.

In case it matters, I am recording to a network drive, and had to adjust database file permissions to get it to work in the first place, and still on v1.0.4 because I can't get v1.0.5 to work after updating.

I would like to say that I think this software is fantastic, and it's free, and is now my main recording method. I am just trying to chase down this small snag in an otherwise brilliant system. So thank you again to lc200.

Correction! There are still seven muxes in London. There is local stuff on Channel 35. I found a lot of out of date info on the web before finding digitalbitrate.com which monitors what is on air today.

That doesn't solve my problem, though. The more I look, the worse it gets. I now realise I am missing lots of recent additions to the channel lineup, and still have many stations that are no longer operating.

I check that all the frequencies and channel numbers are correct for my area for today, and press the Start Tuning button.
I watch the tuning process and notice that all muxes are found as the number of TV and Radio channels are listed for each.
When the tuning process finishes, I read the whole list of station names that have been found, including all sorts of new stuff (BBC3HD, Great Movies, etc) and no old stuff (Forces TV, etc).
Then I press the Set These Channels button at the foot of the list of station names.
The pop-up warns these will replace all currently tuned channels and that the guide will be emptied and repopulate over the next few minutes.
At this point the Guide reverts to its previous condition exactly. No new stations are displayed in the guide. No old stations are removed from the guide. And the guide is not cleared and does not update until the next scheduled update time. After the scheduled update (or a manual one) still nothing changes.

In case it matters, I am recording to a network drive, and had to adjust database file permissions to get it to work in the first place, and still on v1.0.4 because I can't get v1.0.5 to work after updating.

I would like to say that I think this software is fantastic, and it's free, and is now my main recording method. I am just trying to chase down this small snag in an otherwise brilliant system. So thank you again to lc200.

Okay something odd is happening as it should be saving the newly found channels then updating the guide. Could you forward me the log or paste it here to see if it sheds any light onto the issue. You can get this from Settings and Download log for the day, I think this was in 1.0.4. It will not contain any personal information as the software doesn't have anything personal, but by all means check the log and forward in a message to me if you wish.

Correction! There are still seven muxes in London. There is local stuff on Channel 35. I found a lot of out of date info on the web before finding digitalbitrate.com which monitors what is on air today....
Sort of...
There use to be 8 muxes. Now it's down to 7.
(After the removal of C55 COM7 HD DVBT2 746MHz.)

Now there was a bug in an earlier version where the save didn't work at the confirming the tuned channels on a certain browser, so try using a different browser, think the issue was with Firefox or IE, Chrome was okay, I remember fixing it for newer versions so it might be that.

Now there was a bug in an earlier version where the save didn't work at the confirming the tuned channels on a certain browser, so try using a different browser, think the issue was with Firefox or IE, Chrome was okay, I remember fixing it for newer versions so it might be that.
YES! That was it! Using latest Firefox, the Save didn't work on v1.0.4. Tried with IE on Win7 and that worked. All new station names in guide, all old station names gone. Guide has populated, it started automatically, but new stations are showing 'No Program Data' message as yet. I'll give it a while.

Thanks again @lc200

Last edited:
I have what I think is a new problem with DVROnTime, I'm running 1.0.6.2027 and just recently I've been having problems with poor signal strength on the 2 BBC MUXes which are channel 36 and 48 on the Midhust transmitter. Stupidly, I tried to initiate a re-tune on DVROnTime to see if changes to the MUX allocations might be causing my signal strength problems as a retune on my HDRFOX-T2s seemed to alleviate the picture breakup on them (you can probably tell that I don't know much about the way that DTV works!). However, when I try to re-tune these 2 channels on DVROnTime, the service crashes with an untrapped error. Nothing shows in the DVROnTime logs that seems to relate to the retunes and Windows event viewer shows error entries saying that no tuners were found on the local network for each attempt. If I leave these 2 channels out of the re-tune all is OK. I can retune the HDHomeRun boxes (2 DUO and 3 Quattro) without a problem from the Silcondust apps without any errors.

I have what I think is a new problem with DVROnTime, I'm running 1.0.6.2027 and just recently I've been having problems with poor signal strength on the 2 BBC MUXes which are channel 36 and 48 on the Midhust transmitter. Stupidly, I tried to initiate a re-tune on DVROnTime to see if changes to the MUX allocations might be causing my signal strength problems as a retune on my HDRFOX-T2s seemed to alleviate the picture breakup on them (you can probably tell that I don't know much about the way that DTV works!). However, when I try to re-tune these 2 channels on DVROnTime, the service crashes with an untrapped error. Nothing shows in the DVROnTime logs that seems to relate to the retunes and Windows event viewer shows error entries saying that no tuners were found on the local network for each attempt. If I leave these 2 channels out of the re-tune all is OK. I can retune the HDHomeRun boxes (2 DUO and 3 Quattro) without a problem from the Silcondust apps without any errors.

It sounds like some issue finding the tuner on the network when it wants to try and get the channels, possibly a bug in the code not handling something different about your set up. If you go to Settings, look at 'Devices found and Priority', in here you will you see all the tuners on your network. Do you have one or two? If you have one make sure it is set as preferred. If you have two, make sure one is set as preferred, and if its, try swapping them around so the preferred becomes the backup and the backup becomes preferred. See if that helps.

It sounds like some issue finding the tuner on the network when it wants to try and get the channels, possibly a bug in the code not handling something different about your set up. If you go to Settings, look at 'Devices found and Priority', in here you will you see all the tuners on your network. Do you have one or two? If you have one make sure it is set as preferred. If you have two, make sure one is set as preferred, and if its, try swapping them around so the preferred becomes the backup and the backup becomes preferred. See if that helps.
I have 5 and they're all set as preferred. This has worked OK in the past. I think the problem is linked to the stream breaking up due to the signal strength being poor.

Thanks lc200 , probably best if we leave it for now as I'm in Spain until the beginning of February. I have access to my PCs in the UK but obviously can't do anything with the aerial setup to alleviate the poor signal on the 2 MUXes.

I have a small problem with dvrontime. Last night it was set to record beyond paradise bbc1 at 8 then death in paradise bbc1 at 9. Also desperate measures channel 5 at 9. Beyond paradise & desperate measures were ok but there was nothing recorded for death in paradise . Web interface claimed recorded but maybe not entirety . I have a twin runner . Log file attached. Any ideas please.

Attachments

• eventlog (1).txt
    12.1 KB · Views: 4
Back