HDR-FOX T2 to HDHomeRun, my journey

NBhummyuser said:

There seems to be a problem with the drama channel . It claims to start recording but doesn't stop and produces no file. This has happened to me several times now. Hopefully you can help I set up a test with debug turned on log file attached.

lc200 replied:
Thanks for the debug log, it seems to be a continuation of the same problem where it isn't obtaining the data required from the transport stream in order to know which packets to record so it doesn't record anything. I do have some time this week so will do some changes and get a test version to you. I'm suspecting the tuner isn't receiving the command and some small packets are getting dropped. Is it a wired network or is DvrOnTime connected via Wi-Fi?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did anything come of the investigation into programs failing to record?
I'm experiencing the same problem, failures seem to be mostly on minor channels such as 5Action, Great Movies Action, 5 Select and Legend but I've also seen the problem on CH5 HD where the second of 2 back to back Eggheads failed to record and then the next 3 programs set to record on CH5 HD failed to record as well then the next CH5 HD program in the schedule recorded OK.
This was on a fairly high end I7 PC using 3 HDHomerun Quattro boxes (12 tuners) running just DVROnTime to see how well DVROnTime scales.
The failed program problem also occurs on a lower power PC using 2 HDHomeRun Duo boxes (4 tuners). I have the logs from the I7 PC if lc200 is interested in looking at them and can provide all the details about the PCs and network configuration (all wired ethernet). Both PCs and the 3 HDHomeruns are connected to the same Gigabit Ethernet switch so dropped packets are unlikely.

NBhummyuser said:

There seems to be a problem with the drama channel . It claims to start recording but doesn't stop and produces no file. This has happened to me several times now. Hopefully you can help I set up a test with debug turned on log file attached.

lc200 replied:
Thanks for the debug log, it seems to be a continuation of the same problem where it isn't obtaining the data required from the transport stream in order to know which packets to record so it doesn't record anything. I do have some time this week so will do some changes and get a test version to you. I'm suspecting the tuner isn't receiving the command and some small packets are getting dropped. Is it a wired network or is DvrOnTime connected via Wi-Fi?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did anything come of the investigation into programs failing to record?
I'm experiencing the same problem, failures seem to be mostly on minor channels such as 5Action, Great Movies Action, 5 Select and Legend but I've also seen the problem on CH5 HD where the second of 2 back to back Eggheads failed to record and then the next 3 programs set to record on CH5 HD failed to record as well then the next CH5 HD program in the schedule recorded OK.
This was on a fairly high end I7 PC using 3 HDHomerun Quattro boxes (12 tuners) running just DVROnTime to see how well DVROnTime scales.
The failed program problem also occurs on a lower power PC using 2 HDHomeRun Duo boxes (4 tuners). I have the logs from the I7 PC if lc200 is interested in looking at them and can provide all the details about the PCs and network configuration (all wired ethernet). Both PCs and the 3 HDHomeruns are connected to the same Gigabit Ethernet switch so dropped packets are unlikely.

Hi, yes this was fixed for the person reporting the issue and I haven't yet done a new build simply because I wanted to test it for a while first and hadn't realised anyone else had the issue. I will send you a private message shortly with some updates you can apply and then will look to get a new build/version up packaged for installing.

Hi, yes this was fixed for the person reporting the issue and I haven't yet done a new build simply because I wanted to test it for a while first and hadn't realised anyone else had the issue. I will send you a private message shortly with some updates you can apply and then will look to get a new build/version up packaged for installing.
Would be interested to get this build as well as I too have had recording issues specifically on the Drama channel.

I have used the updated version that lc200 gave me access to ever since without any issues . Hopefully this will sort at least the drama channel out for you.

I've but the new files up at the link below. To install, stop the DvrOnTime service, then copy these new files over the existing ones in the installation folder at Program Files\DvrOnTime then restart the service. A good idea to take a backup of the original files and store them outside the DvrOnTime folder just in case you need to restore them. I will sort out a new setup as soon as I can, hopefully will have chance this coming weekend.

Thanks lc200, it seems to have fixed the problem of some programs failing. I thought at first that it hadn't as 3 consecutive Sky Arts programs failed after the update but looking at the log it was saying that there were no tuners available.
It wasn't using anywhere near the 12 allocated at the time and nothing else should have been using the HDHomeRun boxes allocated but it seems to have sorted itself out since then without a restart. The most tuners I've seen in use at the same time so far is 7.
Is there any point in me setting up a schedule with more than 12 programs being recorded at the same time to see what happens? I guess the processing logic is the same regardless of the number of HDHomeRun boxes/tuners available.

Thanks once again for the effort you've put into creating DVROnTime and making it available for those of us without the skills to do it.

Thanks lc200, it seems to have fixed the problem of some programs failing. I thought at first that it hadn't as 3 consecutive Sky Arts programs failed after the update but looking at the log it was saying that there were no tuners available.
It wasn't using anywhere near the 12 allocated at the time and nothing else should have been using the HDHomeRun boxes allocated but it seems to have sorted itself out since then without a restart. The most tuners I've seen in use at the same time so far is 7.
Is there any point in me setting up a schedule with more than 12 programs being recorded at the same time to see what happens? I guess the processing logic is the same regardless of the number of HDHomeRun boxes/tuners available.

Thanks once again for the effort you've put into creating DVROnTime and making it available for those of us without the skills to do it.

Thanks for the update that it is working all okay now. Great to hear it is working with so many tuners, I've only tested with 8 tuners (2 Quatros) so nice to know it is scaling up okay.

Not sure why it couldn't find all the tuners after updating, although sometimes if a tuner is left without being stopped (when the software is stopped) it can take several minutes before the HomeRun relinquishes it, so it might have been a few were stuck in use for a while. If you wanted to test with all 12 that would be great to know the results.

Ones things for sure @phit03, I don't think you'll be running out of tuners anytime soon! 🤣 I have two Quatro's and have never hit the max.

Ones things for sure @phit03, I don't think you'll be running out of tuners anytime soon! 🤣 I have two Quatro's and have never hit the max.
I'm in a similar situation to lc200 in that I originally got the HDRHomeRuns to use with plex and ended up with lots of recordings that were either missing the start or end of the program because plex didn't have the AR functionality. The first was purchased to allow us to watch UK live TV via plex while abroad and then more as a future replacement for the HDRFOXes when they died. It's a pity I didn't have a crystal ball as the authorities seem intent on killing off Freeview in favour of Internet delivered content so their future is seeming uncertain anyway!

Thanks for the update that it is working all okay now. Great to hear it is working with so many tuners, I've only tested with 8 tuners (2 Quatros) so nice to know it is scaling up okay.

Not sure why it couldn't find all the tuners after updating, although sometimes if a tuner is left without being stopped (when the software is stopped) it can take several minutes before the HomeRun relinquishes it, so it might have been a few were stuck in use for a while. If you wanted to test with all 12 that would be great to know the results.
I went one step further and tried recording from 16 tuners at once. I setup the test to start at 18:00 but problems started before then when tuners were being reserved for programs due to start recording at 18:00.

Quite a few problems reported in the log :
X-HDHomeRun-Error: 805 All Tuners In Use
12/06/2023 17:45:24 Error Could not connect to a tuner on device 12401394, status code returned , response was HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable (not all the same device).
12/06/2023 18:15:03 Warning => Corrupt packet total 3 (logging of corrupt packets suspended for 1 minute) (task manager showed the service was utilising about 50Mbps bandwidth at 18:15).

Test was on an i7 PC with 4 cores (Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.41 GHz), 16GB memory running Windows 10 64bit with a single Gigabit ethernet connection (no wi-fi). PC and all 5 HDHomeruns (3 Quattro and 2 Duo) were connected to the same ethernet switch. Recording disk is an external USB3.0 2.5" mechanical 500GB drive dedicated to DVROnTime. System drive is a 500GB SATA SSD.

Other problems noticed include:
Program recording not ended at the end of a program and if back to back episodes, the next program recorded in the same file.
Recording schedule showing a program as recording, folder was created but no file was created.
Programs scheduled to record but no folder was created.
I have the logfile for the whole day if you would like to look at it.
If you don't have time, no problem, it was an academic exercise unlikely to be replicated in the real world.

In normal use, I'm still seeing the same error messages in the log and getting a few failed programs every day but a lot less than before installing the beta version.

I went one step further and tried recording from 16 tuners at once. I setup the test to start at 18:00 but problems started before then when tuners were being reserved for programs due to start recording at 18:00.

Quite a few problems reported in the log :
X-HDHomeRun-Error: 805 All Tuners In Use
12/06/2023 17:45:24 Error Could not connect to a tuner on device 12401394, status code returned , response was HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable (not all the same device).
12/06/2023 18:15:03 Warning => Corrupt packet total 3 (logging of corrupt packets suspended for 1 minute) (task manager showed the service was utilising about 50Mbps bandwidth at 18:15).

Test was on an i7 PC with 4 cores (Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.41 GHz), 16GB memory running Windows 10 64bit with a single Gigabit ethernet connection (no wi-fi). PC and all 5 HDHomeruns (3 Quattro and 2 Duo) were connected to the same ethernet switch. Recording disk is an external USB3.0 2.5" mechanical 500GB drive dedicated to DVROnTime. System drive is a 500GB SATA SSD.

Other problems noticed include:
Program recording not ended at the end of a program and if back to back episodes, the next program recorded in the same file.
Recording schedule showing a program as recording, folder was created but no file was created.
Programs scheduled to record but no folder was created.
I have the logfile for the whole day if you would like to look at it.
If you don't have time, no problem, it was an academic exercise unlikely to be replicated in the real world.

In normal use, I'm still seeing the same error messages in the log and getting a few failed programs every day but a lot less than before installing the beta version.
There will be some practical limit to how many things it can record at the same time so you might be hitting that. If you can attach the event log or private message it to me I will take a look, certainly the normal use failures are worth investigating and fixing.

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but what is the procedure for installing DVROntime v1.0.7 over the top of v1.0.6?
I've downloaded the zip file for v1.0.7 and it advises that the upgrade procedure requires uninstalling then re-installing DVROntime, but there is no setup.exe file in the v1.0.7 zip.
???

The instructions appear to be there in post #485
Thanks. The reason for downloading is that the DVROntime service keeps stopping on my Windows 10 machine. The latest version doesn't seem to resolve this.
Since there's very little else installed on this machine I'm not sure what can be causing it.

Last edited:
Thanks. The reason for downloading is that the DVROntime service keeps stopping on my Windows 10 machine. The latest version doesn't seem to resolve this.
Since there's very little else installed on this machine I'm not sure what can be causing it.
I just found this in the Windows Event viewer from last night. I'm not sure what's happening as the service was running fine, and there is a DvrOnTime.mdf file in C:\Program Files\DvrOnTime\ - it's 73MB. The service had been running fine up to that point. Any ideas?

Code:
Error connecting to the database, please make sure LocalDB is installed and the database is at C:\Program Files\DvrOnTime\. Error is: System.Exception: Stored Procedure [dbo].[up_DatabaseVersionNumber] reported an error from the database:  Connection Timeout Expired.  The timeout period elapsed while attempting to consume the pre-login handshake acknowledgement.  This could be because the pre-login handshake failed or the server was unable to respond back in time.  The duration spent while attempting to connect to this server was - [Pre-Login] initialization=20508; handshake=119;

I just found this in the Windows Event viewer from last night. I'm not sure what's happening as the service was running fine, and there is a DvrOnTime.mdf file in C:\Program Files\DvrOnTime\ - it's 73MB. The service had been running fine up to that point. Any ideas?

Code:
Error connecting to the database, please make sure LocalDB is installed and the database is at C:\Program Files\DvrOnTime\. Error is: System.Exception: Stored Procedure [dbo].[up_DatabaseVersionNumber] reported an error from the database:  Connection Timeout Expired.  The timeout period elapsed while attempting to consume the pre-login handshake acknowledgement.  This could be because the pre-login handshake failed or the server was unable to respond back in time.  The duration spent while attempting to connect to this server was - [Pre-Login] initialization=20508; handshake=119;
I simply restarted the DVROntimes service and it's now running again, but on past form I expect it to be down again in a day or two...
???

I simply restarted the DVROntimes service and it's now running again, but on past form I expect it to be down again in a day or two...
If you go into Services windows and select the Properties pages for DVROntime service you should be able to modify the automatic restart options for the service

If you go into Services windows and select the Properties pages for DVROntime service you should be able to modify the automatic restart options for the service
OK will do. It does sound like a sticking plaster rather than a fix, though - is this a common problem?

???
This can happen if the database service takes a while to start after a reboot (or it could be crashing for some other reason?), so it is worth while setting the DvrOnTime service to delayed start, this allows all other services to come up before DvrOnTime. See if that helps.

Back