HDR-FOX T2 vs DTR-T1000

saorsa

I've cancelled my contract with Virgin, which runs out on the 8th of August, and decided to buy a freeview box instead.

After reading online about different makes, etc I decided to go for the HDR-FOX T2.
I went onto John Lewis to check prices and noticed the DTR-T1000 is now available.

It's hard to decide whether to shell out £250 on the HDR-FOX T2 now or go for the DTR-T1000.
From my limited knowledge the HDR-FOX T2 has much better features but lacks the on demand features/youview compatability of the DTR-T1000.

Just wondered if I could get a bit of advice which box to go for, or should I hold off just now till the new youview boxes get better specs, features.

Thanks for in advance.

This is a difficult one and I have to say you will probably encounter some bias on this thread as we are HDR owners, obviously the 7 day catch-up is a plus point for YouView as is the promise of Future additions that you will not get on the HDR, however PVR owners could not live with the YouView restrictions listed HERE

It's hard to decide whether to shell out £250 on the HDR-FOX T2 now or go for the DTR-T1000.
From my limited knowledge the HDR-FOX T2 has much better features but lacks the on demand features/youview compatability of the DTR-T1000.
If you are buying now get the HDR. The problem with YouView is that the software is produced centrally rather than by the box manufacturer and at the moment it is missing an awful lot of refinement. It may eventually evolve into something more useful but unless you are expecting to be a heavy user of the catchup services, I wouldn't wait.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
Just not sure whether to wait a month or two before buying either box.

Maybe the HDR-FOX T2 might drop a little in price with the release of the DTR-T1000.
And it might give youview time to improve it's features. Then again suppose it could take ages for that to happen.

@Erza
Thanks for the link. I take it all the features missing on the DTR-T1000 are available with the HDR-FOX T2 ?

In case you are interested, the HDR-FOX T2 500GB is currently available fom Maplin for £239.99, with another £7 off if you qualify for discount vouchers.

Ok thanks Erza.

Black Hole, you can pick up the 1tb version for £244. I'd go for the bigger hard drive if I opt for the Fox T2.
Cheers

I got a 500GB model and took out the orange filter in front of the display and fitted a 1TB disk at the same time. Not had any problems.
I agree, quite a few people who bought a native 1TB machine have reported problems. I guess either I am lucky or the disk I choose 'works better' in the HDR.
Of course I invalidated my warranty.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

That's easy. It's ASDA price!

Sorry, couldn't help myself - I need to get out more.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

the HDR-FOX T2 has much better features but lacks the on demand features/youview compatibility of the DTR-T1000.

I had the same dilemma. I decided that if I wired up the Fox to the Humax portal (or better still the custom one) I could get iPlayer etc etc, and that this would give me most of the Youview features on a tried and tested platform.

Mine was £150 from XSItems on Ebay, ex-display but as far as I can see unmarked and fabulous.

Review of the new box here ... Seems to think it is repurposed HDR-FOX T2 hardware with a new front panel ...

It's basically the HDR box with the Word 'YouView' added, it does have some internal hardware changes in order to make the catch-up TV work but the big difference is the two programs running on it, one part written by Humax to interface with their hardware and a big chunk of code specified by the YouView group that controls virtually everything else. This has the advantage that all YouView boxes (when the others arrive) will operate the same, however it also means that Humax have their hands tied when it comes to changing what the box does, so there is likely to be a lot of " That's how it works and it can't be changed" being said by Humax I think

I don't view a fixed UI as being a good plan by YouView. It shows an arrogance that they have the best and only design - it would be better to let the different manufacturers have their own stab at the UI (even if only a skin over standard guts), and then customers would be able to vote with their feet.

The spec allows for an additional GUI layer to be added by ISPs but I'm not sure how far that extends.

Back