HDR FoxT2 DEAD

How cost effective is paying for a PSU repair? Back in March, ABMorley bought a new one from Humax for £20 incl. delivery: see here. Of course, purchasing a PSU board from Humax depends on stock availability. A point to note, if ordering a replacement, is that the HDR-FOX and the HDR-FOX RE version have different power supply models (with 8 and 6 pin main board connectors, respectively). The RE version uses the same power supply as the Humax YouView DTR-T1000.

How cost effective is paying for a PSU repair? Back in March, ABMorley bought a new one from Humax for £20 incl. delivery: see here. Of course, purchasing a PSU board from Humax depends on stock availability. A point to note, if ordering a replacement, is that the HDR-FOX and the HDR-FOX RE version have different power supply models (with 8 and 6 pin main board connectors, respectively). The RE version uses the same power supply as the Humax YouView DTR-T1000.

Useful to know. I stopped using my DTR-T1000 and kept it for HDR Fox T2 spares, expecting to be able to use the case, PSU and hard disc. At least now I know the PSU is a waste of time apart from the RE box which is my most recent purchase.

I bought my HDR new in Jan 2012 and it has worked perfectly till last evening, just connected to a Panasonic TV via HDMI, no network.

I went to rouse it from standby with the remote, no response. Pressed the front button (showing orange), no response. Changed remote batteries, no response.

Switched it off at wall socket and on again, now nothing. No light in the on/off button on the front. Spoke to Goldstar who advised me to look here and that it could well not be a power supply problem.

I lifted out the HDD and checked the volts on the connections to the mother board, all looked OK: 12v,12v,,, 6.6v, 6.6v

Replaced HDD, switch on and nothing is running, no fan, no HDD.

Is this unit completely dead, so I need to buy a replacement?

Thanks for advice, Jerry

The fault could be on the main board or the front panel board. Look for any obviously dead components/ bulging capacitors etc. You could disconnect and reconnect the front panel board in case the connection has gone dry. If the main board is dead it might not be economical to fix it. If it is the front panel board this is relatively cheap. The easiest way to test this is to swap the front panel board and see if the HDR-FOX starts working again but, of course, you need a spare board to try this out.

The fault could be on the main board or the front panel board. Look for any obviously dead components/ bulging capacitors etc. You could disconnect and reconnect the front panel board in case the connection has gone dry. If the main board is dead it might not be economical to fix it. If it is the front panel board this is relatively cheap. The easiest way to test this is to swap the front panel board and see if the HDR-FOX starts working again but, of course, you need a spare board to try this out.

............... which I don't have :thumbsdown:

Ta anyway. Will try looking at front panel and places for obvious failure but nothing has leapt out so far.

So, if I have to buy a new PVR, what? And if my existing HDD is OK and I have another Humax, can I use this HDD as an additional, external drive (in a caddy, I presume)?

On balance, it looks best to upgrade to the 2000T and gain additional connectivity (IPlayer etc.)

Martin, could you clarify pls. If I put my Fox HDD in a standard SATA caddy and connect this to the 2000T PVR via USB cable, will I have access to the programs already recorded? Thanks

Martin, could you clarify pls. If I put my Fox HDD in a standard SATA caddy and connect this to the 2000T PVR via USB cable, will I have access to the programs already recorded?
Only if they had been unencrypted prior to the failure of the HDR-FOX T2.

If you do go the HDR-2000T route (we have one and it performs well as an out of the box PVR) then I am sure somebody here would be interested in whatever bits of the HDR-FOX t2 you don't want to keep.

Well, as you may be able to tell, I'm not too savvy on these things.

a) I would not know if the Fox files are encrypted. I did not set it up so they would be ........ could I have??
b) I'm not into custom firmware
c) I just read in the HDR-Fox T2 manual that it would do IPlayer - I did not know. Maybe the later 2000T would be simpler to drive?

Really, I'm just a "use it as it comes" type, even though I can extract HDDs and replace them - simple jobs like that :thumbsup:

Took the front board out, looks perfect. Cannot see any damage anywhere.

Could it be an HDD failure?

a) Yes they are. All of them on the HDR-Fox T2. SD and HD.
c) It does do iPlayer and other stuff (Humax portal with a network connection), but not ITV player
Could it be an HDD failure? Unlikely, but anything is possible. Disconnect the HDD and try to start it.

Unfortunately your recordings will be encrypted and can only be decrypted by the hardware on the main board in your particular HDR-FOX. The HDR-FOX will boot up without a hard drive installed so it is unlikely be a hard disk fault.

Rat pie!!

What's the point of encrypting the files?? Are you saying the encryption is specific to my motherboard and even plugging this HDD into another HDR-Fox T2 would not allow access to the files??

HDD appears to be OK. It spun up and installed driver software on my laptop but of course remained unrecognised by Win Explorer.

So then, I still need to decide which PVR to get. If the old HDD is not readable by another Fox T2, I may as well get the latest PVR, I recon.

Back