HDR LAN(Wi-Fi) Settings Mysteriously Corrupted

Well, I don't even always get a good address with DHCP. Got hold of my Edimax now so I'll see whether that makes any difference.

Too early to draw a firm conclusion, but the Edimax dongle "feels" more responsive... and is still on the right IP address this morning!

I doubt you'll have much trouble then.
But this is the same HDR-FOX as I was complaining about in the first place. Presuming things carry on as sweetly as they have the last couple of days, the only difference is the WiFi dongle.

But this is the same HDR-FOX as I was complaining about in the first place. Presuming things carry on as sweetly as they have the last couple of days, the only difference is the WiFi dongle.
Oh right. That's interesting. I wonder if it is the same problem even, or a different manifestation.

I've got two hypotheses (one does not discount the other):

1: These "RT3070" dongles available now are actually clones cashing in on Google and eBay searches for RT3070, with poor performance compared with genuine RT3070.

2: The observed problem of IP address switching only occurs if the WiFi connection to the router is not stable.

Obviously, if 2 is true then 1 exacerbates the problem, but it could also be that the Edimax dongle has a proper aerial and therefore potentially a better WiFi signal.

Please note these are hypotheses - ie suggestions to account for observed behaviour but which remain to be proven or disproven by further experiment and observation.

I've got two hypotheses (one does not discount the other):

1: These "RT3070" dongles available now are actually clones cashing in on Google and eBay searches for RT3070, with poor performance compared with genuine RT3070.

2: The observed problem of IP address switching only occurs if the WiFi connection to the router is not stable.

Obviously, if 2 is true then 1 exacerbates the problem, but it could also be that the Edimax dongle has a proper aerial and therefore potentially a better WiFi signal.

Please note these are hypotheses - ie suggestions to account for observed behaviour but which remain to be proven or disproven by further experiment and observation.

The box uses 2.4 GHz WiFi networks only (not 5GHz) .

Another possibility:

With 2.4Ghz and a router selecting auto channels ,the router connects to the dongle on all channels 1 to 11 .
However if the 2.4 GHz channel is 7 or above in my experience the box doesn't communicate with the dongle

Best to set 2.4 networks to 1 to 6 but not higher.

At least that is the case with the WiFi dongles I used.

However if the 2.4 GHz channel is 7 or above in my experience the box doesn't communicate with the dongle
Really? The common belief is that it can't use channels 1-4 (and I have experienced that myself). In any case:

1581066481375.jpeg

...and the Edimax remains sweet as a nut, whereas the unbranded "RT3070" was a right pain.

I think it's time to swap back to the "RT3070" and see if the symptoms return. Anybody know how I can check the strength of the signal?

For the record, Edimax dongle:
Code:
HDRFOX4# iwconfig wlan0                                                                         
wlan0     RT2870 Wireless  ESSID:"XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"  Nickname:"RT2870STA"                       
          Mode:Managed  Frequency=2.452 GHz  Access Point: 44:94:FC:E8:34:9A                     
          Bit Rate=54 Mb/s                                                                       
          RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off                                                         
          Encryption key:XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX [2]                             
          Link Quality=100/100  Signal level:-57 dBm  Noise level:-83 dBm                       
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0                               
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

And the cheap Ebay Dongle :-

Code:
Humax3# iwconfig wlan0
wlan0     RT2870 Wireless  ESSID:"XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"  Nickname:"RT2870STA"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency=2.432 GHz  Access Point: D0:2D:B3:XX:XX:XX
          Bit Rate=54 Mb/s
          RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX [2]
          Link Quality=97/100  Signal level:-67 dBm  Noise level:-83 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0