HDR selective back-up to NAS options

The one thing I still need to work out is why the new 32GB pen drive can't be set as the system drive on the HD. As it stands, it's a big waste of a 32GB pen drive leaving it plugged in the back of the HD just for the CF. Surely I could use a much smaller pen drive for that. So I guess I need to either
a) work out why the 32GB can't be used as the primary hard drive for the HD, or
b) replace it with a smaller one and not worry about recording on the HD, which I don't really care about anyway.
Cheers.

It's a bit difficult comment without actually trying this, as far as I am aware everyone that has tried <32GB Flash drives for recording on the HD-Fox has reported failure and one person using a 32GB has reported success, but it was a bit vague and follow-up questions were not answered, so we don't really have solid proof that flash cards can be recorded to at all. To run the Custom Firmware only a 2GB flash will do the job

Thanks for all the input guys. I've managed to set it up as the HDD by using the suggested diagnostic. The result is a bit weird in that I can record OK (from one quick trial just now), but I can't pause live TV, which is all I really wanted to be able to do! It also shows up as the wrong size on the settings page of the box. It seems a bit odd and it's very clunky compared to the HDR. So bearing that in mind, I'm perfectly happy just recording everything on the HDR and just using the HD as a viewer, rather than a recorder.

So this means that maybe I'll swap the USB stick for a 4GB stick instead, but that raises the question:

- what happens if I remove the usb stick with the CF and put a new one in instead?

Will I be presented again with the 'install full custom firmware webpage' like when I initially installed the firmware? Or could I copy all the files from one USB stick to another and it would just work with the same packages that I installed? Finally, can I leave the 4GB stick as FAT32, as I'll only use it for the CF?

Thanks very much again for the help, it's been really useful.

You have to enable live buffer in the system menus (don't ask me where). We've been waiting for somebody to try it out, I will have a go eventually (I acquired a 32GB UPD for the purpose), but it is thought to be extremely wearing on solid state storage. In general people with a less pioneering spirit are advised to steer clear of recording or buffering to a UPD, stick to HDD.

Plugging in a different UPD gets you the "install" page unless you copy the /mod folder across first (that's where the custom software modules get stored, the custom firmware is only the small part that gets embedded into the internal Flash storage).

Let's not get bogged down in minor details again, the /mod folder is created by the Custom firmware and wouldn't be there without it, it is part of the Custom Package

As Black Hole has said, you need to turn on an option in the menus before you can pause live TV. I can't remember where either but I think it is called Time-shift something. Worth a try before you give up on it.

The "weak" link in my network chain is 200Mbps HomePlug.
For the record, with by HomePlug link having blown up and temporarily replaced with a bit of wire, I'm getting HiDef playing fine. I'll see what happens with 500Mbps Devolos.

Thanks guys. I'll try to find the time-shifting option and turn that on and give it a go before giving up. If I do give up it sounds like I can swap the 32 pen drive for a smaller one I've got and just copy all the files across first, which will hopefully then just work as it was.

Anyway, I'll stick with the 32 drive for a bit and see how it goes and then report back.

Cheers.

Don't forget the format.

I don't have a suitable drive connected, but the option you want is probably on Menu >> Settings >> System >> Data Storage >> Select the HDD for PVR.

thanks I won't. If I give up on the 32 and swap to my old 4GB card for the CF then I'll format it to Ext2 first.

Back