HDr t2 network help

bwizz

Can anyone help me set up my wifi network on my hdr t2 box. I am able to access the internet via my wifi dongle but , I not able to access my networked computers
everything obvious has been enabled, thanks in advance for any help

If I am interpreting your post correctly, it sounds like you can get the TV Portal up and access iPlayer. That's a good way forward, and indicates there is no problem at the Humax end.

Two things which might catch you out:
  1. Your router. Some routers separate the WiFi network from the wired network, so that both can see the Internet connection but ad-hoc WiFi connections cannot gain access to (potentially) sensitive data on the wired network. I mention this first to get it out of the way, just something to bear in mind if the next item is not your problem.
  2. Presuming you are trying to access devices on your network using Media >> Storage (blue) >> Network, the Humax can only "see" devices which announce themselves using the DLNA protocol. This is not standard for Windows computers, you have to install and run a program which provides DLNA server capability, and within that program enable the server and select which media you wish to share. XBMC will provide what you need. NAS devices marketed as media servers have DLNA built in (but may need enabling through the control panel).
For more info see entry "DLNA" in the Glossary (links below).

In the spirit of adding information, which I hope will be useful, the Glossary reference talks about DLNA clients on the PCs, but not DLNA servers.
From what I've seen, XBMC is a bit of overkill if you aren't thinking of a full-blown media server, so it would be worth mentioning some of the other solutions (eg, the one I use, TVMOBiLi or twonky). Also a word of caution that some people have problems with some products.

We know XBMC works, we also know that v7 of Twonky causes the HDR to crash when content sharing is turned on. Serviio is an alternative, without the client baggage of XBMC (although XMBC can also be used to play Humax content on the PC).

However, thanks for the comment re the Glossary, I will look at refining it.

In the spirit of adding information, which I hope will be useful, the Glossary reference talks about DLNA clients on the PCs, but not DLNA servers.
Having reviewed it, I see no need to change the entry. DLNA servers are mentioned in the penultimate sentence.

Hi ,thanks for quick responce, I have downloaded xbmc as recommended , i will install and report back.

1. Hi I have installed XBMC and selected media to share "in the program" But i'm not understanding this part "( NAS devices marketed as media servers have DLNA built in) (but may need enabling through the control panel).I have installed the prog and selected media files to share .but when i select network on my humax .PC on obviously!.
  2. I still get the same message "No Network found" ?

The Humax tends to be slow to pick up the presence of a DLNA server first time. However, if it has been a while you could try detecting the XBMC server using VLC to see if it is set up properly.

If all else fails you could try Serviio, which is only a server and I gather may be easier to configure.

Don't know if this helps or not, but I was unable to see the Humax on my network until I installed the Custom Firmware and installed the Samba package. The Humax then became visible as a computer on the network and in my XBMC setup, using 'add videos' as part of Windows network (SMB) where I was able to navigate to the videos folder.

I have custom firmware !I don't know what samba package is or smb is for that matter. Tried again this morning , humy box still gives me the message "no network found" Not downloaded Serviio yet .

Samba is one of the add-on packages for the custom firmware. It enables Linux/Unix machines to be seen on a Windows network. Install it (go to the web interface > packages > available) and you should be able to see the Humax after a couple of minutes.

Aha!

I have been answering this on the basis that custom firmware is not part of the equation. As you are a CF user, there are better ways.

By using the network-shares-automount package, you will be able to mount any existing Windows network shares to be accessible as if they are external USB drives. The relevant introduction is HERE (click), specific tips for setting up a share on a Win7 PC as follows:
Firstly set up a Share folder on the PC.
To create a share folder in win7 - Open Windows Explorer and select the drive or directory where you want to place the Folder. –> File New –> Folder
Name that folder -> HumaxPCMedia –> right click that newly created folder. select sharing –> advance sharing –> click on “share this folder” –> ok and close
Confirm it is shared by checking in Network –> Your PC. It should be present there.
Now setup another Network Share on the HumaxHD to enable access to the “HumaxPCMedia” from it. – Name it HumaxPCMedia
Once it has been created, input the following:
Domain=Workgroup (or whatever your workgroup is named) (To find out what it is actually named – Control Panel – System and Security – System – The name will be to the right of Workgroup. Also take a note your PC name on the same page)
Folder= HumaxPCmedia
host=the network address of your PC
mac=ABABABABABAB (only needed for wakeUp)
password=your PC access password (that’s the password you use to login to your PC)
sharefolder=off
user=your pc name (found in Control panel – System – Computer name (as above). If the name has –PC after it, ignore that part. So if it was alpha-PC – you only need to use alpha)
wakeup=off
Then restart the HD box – check webif-diag-scanmounts.log to see if it has mounted and confirm by Media-blue button-USB on the remote. This should give access to the Sharefolder on the PC.
-----------
Any additional folder/s created within the “HumaxPCMedia” shared folder on your PC will also be shared, so you can have video, music etc. as required by your personal preference.

I have more or less the above setup and it has been working for quite a long time now.

Samba is one of the add-on packages for the custom firmware. It enables Linux/Unix machines to be seen on a Windows network. Install it (go to the web interface > packages > available) and you should be able to see the Humax after a couple of minutes.
We're trying to go the other way!

I installed the firmware quite some time ago ,early 2012. as I am not up to date with recent developments maybe its not the firmware mentioned here

I see the mods have moved this to the custom section; I am a bit disappointed because the initial help applies to non-custom.

I installed the firmware quite some time ago ,early 2012. as I am not up to date with recent developments maybe its not the firmware mentioned here

As you see from my signature, I am still running 2.12 on a HDR-FOX and virtually all (if not all) the packages etc are valid for it. If you have not updated the packages for a while though you will be missing all sorts of goodies (particularly the WebIF updates). Presuming your HDR is connected to the Internet, auto-update is a good package to install.

Just my humble opinion but that automount procedure seems like a lot of work when a one-click install of Samba allows one very easily to browse to any shared resource on a Windows network

I'm gettin a bit nearer now , I have installed Seviio, and the humy box now sees a network.but no files! Even though I have done a complete install of the prog I can't see how to access any settings from my pc. Also i don't see the humax box in workgroup computers "Windows XP" Is it a good idea to install the samba software?

Also i don't see the humax box in workgroup computers "Windows XP" Is it a good idea to install the samba software?
You won't see the Humax in Workgroup unlss you install Samba. Can I clarify what you are trying to achieve; are you attempting to play content recorded on the Humax via the PC or are you attempting to play content on the Humax that is stored on a PC?

Back