HDR T2 sudden problems

Hi Guys,

T2 has a number of symptoms.

Web interface tells me the machine crashed and some packages may have been disabled as a precaution.
View crash log for more details but I've no idea how to do that.
This message will not go away no matter how many reboots and clicking aknowledge.

Under package management - Installed it only shows two items and neither are familiar to me.
! failed Boot-time reservation sync service
Collected !
There is info for both which may as well be in latin .....
>> What Collected depends on

Collected errors:
* rm_r: Failed to open dir : No such file or directory.

>> What depends on Collected

Unit is no longer auto backing up the schedule and will not let me delete old backups.
Do this manually and it says it is doing it but it produces nothing.

Samba connection been working for years fails to connect.

Grateful for any help, please assume you're talking to someone who knows nothing.

Thanks.

Bob.

Although very accomplished and easy to use so long as nothing goes wrong, the custom firmware was never intended for people with no technical knowledge.

Crashes are a regular occurrence in HDR-FOX-land, and the CF goes into a protective mode if one is detected, in case it was something to do with the CF that caused it (it usually isn't - the Humax code is more buggy than the CF is, and it isn't usually possible to capture crash info from the Humax code). All you need to do is take it out of protective mode:

WebIF >> Diagnostics >> Diagnostics >> Run diagnostic "fix-flash-packages" (select from the drop-down list)

I don't know whether that will fix all your issues, we will have to wait for your report.

More info.
looks like harddrive has failed. You get no response to pressing "media" on remote
tried an HD test it failed with a suggestion to format.
Tried format, it failed capacity too large.
drive is/was 2TB.

HELP!

Bob.

Although very accomplished and easy to use so long as nothing goes wrong, the custom firmware was never intended for people with no technical knowledge.

Crashes are a regular occurrence in HDR-FOX-land, and the CF goes into a protective mode if one is detected, in case it was something to do with the CF that caused it (it usually isn't - the Humax code is more buggy than the CF is, and it isn't usually possible to capture crash info from the Humax code). All you need to do is take it out of protective mode:

WebIF >> Diagnostics >> Diagnostics >> Run diagnostic "fix-flash-packages" (select from the drop-down list)

I don't know whether that will fix all your issues, we will have to wait for your report.
Thanks for the help.

I didn't wish to imply I had no technical knowledge but it has been a few years since I looked at the CF on my Humax and all is forgotten.

I ran the fix as you suggested. It gives a stream of errors but the most common is that it cannot write to a file because everything is read only file system.

Hard drive is gonna isn't it?

Bob.

Not necessarily; the file system going read-only has been reported before, and is fixable. See my previous post.

the file system going read-only has been reported before, and is fixable.
It might have been, but it isn't now as he's attempted to format the disk.

Reboot and try the format again. Then you'll have to re-install the WebIf. If that works, then we can see the state of the disk. You have lost all your recordings at this point.

Hi guys,

BTW, the unit has CF version 3.03 installed.

I shut it down as left it for some minutes, strted it back up.
Still no response to "media" button on remote.
Tried both format menu options and neither would start.
The one asked for the password and then went stiff for a minute, cam back and asked for the password again.
repeat repeat.

What's my next move?

I do have a dead T2 with a 1TB drive in it but I've found 2TB much better.

If I got a new 2TB drive would I be able to format it?

Should I update the firmware, if so can I push you and ask which one?

Thanks.

Bob.

Another update guys,

I installed CF 3.13 which actually worked, I suppose no HDD needed.

used telnet started disc fixer. Keeps finding problems which it then says it has repaired.
It says it will take 2.5 hours.

There is also a waiting countdown going on, don't know what the numbers indicate.

I'll be back when this all ends, one way or another..

Bob.

I don't think this drive is going to repair.....

Please select option: check

# 1 Extended offline Completed: read failure 90% 10857 0

It looks to me like an HDD failure.
The faulty drive is/was a 2TB drive and I would like to replace it with the same.
Anyone know of an available drive that is known to work or likely to?
Is there likely to be a problem formatting a 2TB drive or was the problem I had due to it being faulty.

Thanks.

Bob.

Tried format, it failed capacity too large.
drive is/was 2TB.
That's not necessarily the case. The Humax code does not expect anything unusual (such as custom code having got in first and locked the drive), so it can produce misleading error messages. As one last-ditch effort at recovery, you could use the Telnet options to halt the CF and then have another go at formatting from the standard menu.

Thanks for your help everyone.
During the rapair process it all went wrong and the machine told me there was no HDD in the machine at all.
So I dug out the old dead machine with a 500GB drive and fitted that.
Okay, as I expected lots of things on the drive but of course, it would not let me watch any of them.
Never have got decrypt to work.
But the machine now seems to record and work fine so it looks like it was just the drive.
Then I looked at the drive, not 2TB at all just 1TB
Drive was :Seagate ST1000VM002.

Thanks.

Bob.

Thanks, yes I am trying to get my head around it all. I have used the decrypt option in the web interface and it seemed to work.
Question though, is there a page somewhere that tells me about all the menu options in the web interface?
Another question, I've decrypted a prog then moved it to a pc where it played lovely but it will not allow mw to move it back, says it is out of room yet the disc is only about 5% full.
Something to do with reserved size? Is there a fix?

Thanks.

Bob.

Question though, is there a page somewhere that tells me about all the menu options in the web interface?
Well, there's the forum and there's the wiki - both of which have search boxes, and if that's too limited you can do a focused Google search by prefixing your search term with "site:hummy.tv". Newbies' Guide to the Forum (click).

Another question, I've decrypted a prog then moved it to a pc where it played lovely but it will not allow mw to move it back, says it is out of room yet the disc is only about 5% full.
Something to do with reserved size? Is there a fix?
What are you talking about? Moved? Moved implies you copied to the PC and then deleted the original. Did you really do that? Why? If you didn't delete the original and it's still there, you wouldn't be able to copy it back because of the name conflict.

It's very hard to work out what's going on (probably user error) from woolly descriptions like this. Much better if you illustrated with screenshots so we can see what's what.

I'm sorry I thought the word moved was very explicit and not in the slightest woolly. It was shortened text. What actually happened was that I had copied a decrypted prog to my PC to test that it was indeed decrypted, it was. Later I was placing programmes into folders and noticed that there was no longer a copy of the decrypted prog on the humax. It could have happened in a number ways but it wasn't there. Rather than BS people I shortened it all out and said I moved it. I may have done but it wasn't intentional.

Is that clear enough? Does all that text help at all? Or was I right to just say I moved it?

I would be grateful if you could tell me why I can't move it or copy it back. The PC says there isn't room on the humax drive but on the TVs output it says there is over 400GB free. I suspect it is something to do with reserved space whatever that is for.

Thank you.
Bob.

I would be grateful if you could tell me why I can't move it or copy it back. The PC says there isn't room on the humax drive but on the TV's output it says there is over 400GB free. I suspect it is something to do with reserved space whatever that is for.
No, that won't be the problem (unless you prepared the disk in some weirdly special way).

Seems like it must be some issue with the way the PC is accessing the Humax drive.

We can assume that the drive is writable if you are able to record. Even so, maybe check what happens if you copy the recording files to a USB stick on the PC and try to copy them back from the stick plugged into the Humax.

Is the Humax specifically sharing its folder read-only?

Is there an issue with compatibility between your CIFS client (Windows 10?) and the antique version of Samba that runs on the Humax? For instance, your Windows session may be unable to authenticate if it isn't allowed to degrade its protocol support to the level supported by this Samba.

Back