HDR7500T - FTPing Can't create directories (Folders) in the "My Video" Directory

furbies

My current HDR-7500T has started playing up and the supplier has sent me a new 7500T and I'm in the process of FTPing 300GB (?) of recordings that I've yet to watch and I've run into an issue.

Using FileZilla on Ubuntu 22.04, I've managed to copy all the single recordings and series (in directories) to my PC and I've been able to FTP the single recordings to the new 7500T but I get an error when trying to FTP across the series directories:

Status: Starting upload of /media/furbies/OWC480GB/Humax/Adam Hills_ The Last Leg/.series
Command: CWD /mnt/hd2/My Video/Adam Hills_ The Last Leg
Error: Connection closed by server
Error: File transfer failed

Is there a way to get FileZilla to copy the series directories from my PC to the new 7500T without me having to manually create all the series directories and then copy over the series recordings ?

regards

furbies (from downunder)

HDR-7500T? Never heard of that before! (But I note you are Antipodean)

I doubt anyone here can advise (sorry).

It would be worth checking anything you are able to copy back is actually playable, before you embark on a long-winded process. On HDR-FOX, for example, content on HDD is encrypted and FTPing it to a different unit would be of no use at all.

It would be worth checking anything you are able to copy back is actually playable, before you embark on a long-winded process. On HDR-FOX, for example, content on HDD is encrypted and FTPing it to a different unit would be of no use at all.
Recordings are not encrypted.

It's just copying series recordings (directories) that's biting me :(

regards

furbies

The "connection closed by server" is usually a sign that the particular FTP command isn't supported. If you can manually create the directories this looks like your best solution. Then you should be able to change to the directory on the PC and the equivalent on the Humax and FTP the contents across. Tedious, but given the Humax is complaining about FTPing a directory (creating the directory and copying the contents) I can't see that you have any other viable solution.

The "connection closed by server" is usually a sign that the particular FTP command isn't supported. If you can manually create the directories this looks like your best solution. Then you should be able to change to the directory on the PC and the equivalent on the Humax and FTP the contents across. Tedious, but given the Humax is complaining about FTPing a directory (creating the directory and copying the contents) I can't see that you have any other viable solution.
EEPhil, yeah that's what I'm currently doing and is a one hell of a PITA...
I had hoped that FileZilla would be able to talk to the Humax(es) but no....
The Humax(es) have to be difficult...

Oh well, I'll keep going...

cheers

furbies...

HDR-7500T? Never heard of that before!
It's identical (in looks) to an HDR Fox T2. It is therefore not unreasonable to assume it shares the same crappy FTP server, which we all know and hate and have replaced in our CF. I expect it might well be able to be customised, if anybody had the desire, skill and time.
It would be interesting to see detailed internal photos to see how similar they are.

It's identical (in looks) to an HDR Fox T2. It is therefore not unreasonable to assume it shares the same crappy FTP server, which we all know and hate and have replaced in our CF. I expect it might well be able to be customised, if anybody had the desire, skill and time.
It would be interesting to see detailed internal photos to see how similar they are.
These are from one I have that "failed"

Hope they're useful ?

(Edit)
I thought I attached some pics but theyre not showing up ?

These are from one I have that "failed"
What are?

It's identical (in looks) to an HDR Fox T2. It is therefore not unreasonable to assume it shares the same crappy FTP server,
Pie in the sky, but if it is that similar and yet does not encrypt, it might be possible to figure out why that is (some configuration bit for the SoC).

From Newbies Guide (click through for details of limits):
Images & Media

Sometimes an image can explain a problem (or a solution) far more effectively than mere words, and 'still' (non-video) image files such as JPG or PNG can be attached to a post and inserted into the post itself. Some browser/OS combinations allow a file to be dragged into the post directly, otherwise click the "upload a file" button below the editor window (if you don't see it, try "more options")...

Pie in the sky, but if it is that similar and yet does not encrypt, it might be possible to figure out why that is
Yes, the thought had crossed my mind.
Anyway, I've unpacked the 7500T firmware and can confirm that the tinyftp module therein is binary identical with the one in the HDR-Fox T2.
The whole thing has a VERY familiar feel to it.
I'll try and edit them down and post again later...
Don't do that. Just stick the full resolution ones on a file sharing site or somewhere. I can send you a Dropbox link if you want to upload to mine.

Apparently it is similar under the bonnet as well as the looks to an HDR-FOX T2.
I've just downloaded the firmware for the 7500T and it looks very similar to that on the T2 including the way it is packaged and checksummed.
The architecture's the same too - I've just run one of the 7500T binaries on my T2 without issues.

That's good news - it should certainly be possible to enable telnet and install the package management (opkg) tool and a lot of the existing basic T2 packages should at least run on there with the right tweaks to the filesystem layout..
I don't know how much success you'll have with them though, particularly the more integrated ones.

Pie in the sky, but if it is that similar and yet does not encrypt, it might be possible to figure out why that is (some configuration bit for the SoC).
The HDR-7500T started out as encrypting both SD and HD, and had non means of decrypting, including not decrypting on USB coping- (https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1787675). Humax did sate that they were looking into changing the encryption stance and a post in 2014 implies that this did occur and it would decrypt on USB copying.

https://forum.icetv.com.au/iceforum/index.php?topic=3773.msg18761#msg18761

Recordings are not encrypted.
How did you ascertain that the recordings are not decrypted? If you extracted them via USB then the HDR would have decrypted the copy.

How did you ascertain that the recordings are not decrypted? If you extracted them via USB then the HDR would have decrypted the copy.
While I was ftping the original recordings from the failing 7500T I opened and played one on my PC and on the replacement HDR-7500T

The recordings are just TS files

Perhaps this provides the answer to the original question (https://forum.icetv.com.au/iceforum/index.php?PHPSESSID=e0e00b1b82d9f5a9980303680fdabdac&msg=18974):

Filezilla bug

We have discovered that Filezilla is unable to upload a folder full of files. Uploading files 1 at a time works, but not uploading folders.

So if you want to copy a folder full of media (music, photos, videos or sub-folders) in one go from your PC to the Humax's hard drive you will need to use a different FTP client program. The free version of CoffeeCup FTP works.

For Windows only:
http://www.coffeecup.com/free-ftp/

Edit: Replaced Cute FTP with CoffeeCup FTP

I wonder why Humax conferred the 7500 with NTFS capability but didn't include that in HDR-FOX updates.

Back