Hello there

AlastairK

Hi folks, I used to have a *looks around and whispers* Toppy which went pear shaped a few years back and I replaced it rather hastily with a TVonics box which is now starting to play up so Humax here I come.

I'm currently looking at a HDR FOXT2 and am here to read what owners think of them, positives and negatives and also look around to see if there's another model that perhaps I should be looking at.

You'll find plenty to keep you busy, the links at the bottom of this post will get you started.

Be aware that it looks like the HDR-FOX is getting superseded with the HDR-2000T, but as we know very little about it so far (and know every nook and cranny of the HDR-FOX), or whether it will prove customisable, I don't think it's going to get much of a welcome around here.

Cheers Ezra.

Holy smoke I think I'm going to be happy, it runs Linux rather than Windas, WOOHOO!!!!!

Welcome to the forum!

We have a thriving community here and you are most welcome to join in.

I would recommend that you use the search facility before asking questions and, indeed, check out the Wiki pages. They are packed with useful information.

A word of caution if you have a new HDR and wish to install the custom firmware. It seems that the latest HDR boxes are being sent out with firmware version 1.03.06. This is fine as it stands. The problem is that the current CUSTOM FIRMWARE is currently NOT compatible with this version. Users have downgraded their new boxes to the official version 1.02.32 and this has cause major issues.

Hopefully when Humax release v1.03.06 to the public in a downloadable form those users, me included, can install it and get their boxes back working again!

So, if you new box has official firmware 1.03.06 there is no custom firmware available yet and don't downgrade your box thinking you can install the current custom firmware release.

My inner geek is getting excited LOL

The one I see on the Argos site is the HDR-2000T, should I shop around for a HDR FOXT2 or just go with the 2000T? I'm a bit afraid that it won't be customisable as Black Hole alludes to above?

EDIT: Just read your post on the 2000T, I'll look around for a T2 as the TVonics isn't going to last long however, if Argos get some 2000T's in stock I can be one of your first triallists.

Welcome from another Winter Hill user, and current Toppy owner (No whispering required).:)

The one I see on the Argos site is the HDR-2000T... I'll look around for a T2
By all reports, Argos do not in fact have any HDR-2000Ts and are selling HDR-FOX instead. (BTW, "T2" is not a satisfactory short-form of HDR-FOX T2 as there is also the HD-FOX T2.)

They're supposed to have a 2000T at a store 10 miles away, I'll ring them in the morning and check what it is before possibly setting out for it.

Of course there's an HD, apologies, I consider myself suitably chastised.

They'll probably only check the computer. Trust me, nobody has even seen a HDR-2000T in the wild, so if Argos say they've got one go and buy it, check what it is before you take it away, and you can turn it in for a refund either way (it's either not what you wanted or not what was advertised!).

An alternative is a Graded unit from Humax Direct - one year's warranty and good enough new (display stock or refurb), £140.

As mentioned above, if it turns out to have 1.03.06 firmware, leave as is until further research (see Things Every... section 1).

I have just checked the Argos website, and the HDR-FOX T2 seems to have finally been removed. A search for catalogue number 5322604 returns "Sorry we didn't find any results.".

Yeah, cheers Black Hole, I'll go and have a look at Humax Direct for graded. I've just found a 'new, other' one from a place on eBay for £150 delivered within 24 hours that I can always go back to.

I have just checked the Argos website, and the HDR-FOX T2 seems to have finally been removed. A search for catalogue number 5322604 returns "Sorry we didn't find any results.".

Still coming up for me via Ezra's link in the 2000T thread

Yeah, cheers Black Hole, I'll go and have a look at Humax Direct for graded. I've just found a 'new, other' one from a place on eBay for £150 delivered within 24 hours that I can always go back to.
That's very cheap for "buy now" - second hand used ones have bid higher than that!

Decisions decisions, I either go for the eBay one at £150 which nets me 150 Nectar points that are pretty much worthless anyway :D from a 'top rated seller' which has
a few small dents/marks on the lid caused by the mains plug in transit and is either x-display or an unwanted return
and, as it's going in a cupboard where I won't even see the top it doesn't matter or a Humax Direct Graded one delivered for £146 hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I think I'm leaning towards the Humax Direct approach :)

Back