HELP!: Can't get WebIF up or login via SSH

I'm happy swapping out drives - I put a 500GB drive in my old Hummy when the 160GB got full.

However, since the HDR is only 6 weeks old, I'd rather not open it for warranty reasons! I got it at John Lewis and I seem to remember they said it had a 2 year warranty.:)

I've just picked up a 3TB external USB HDD. It's already formatted to NTFS. I'd like to keep 1TB for backing up the Hummy, and use the rest for backing up my NAS and PC's.

Do you think repartitioning from Ubuntu with a 1TB EXT3 file-system and a 2TB NTFS partition is the best thing to do?

I think that's your only option. You can't write to NTFS without help from the custom firmware, and FAT will baulk at files larger than 4GB.

If all the files check out you could try putting it into maintenance mode manually (by using the touch command and rebooting) and then run fix-disk. It will achieve the same result because that is all fix-disk does in normal mode (apart from put up a warning message).

I can't see how you would get the scrolling 'y' when typing 'yes' The only accepted responses are y or Y, anything else should just exit (i.e. abort). It seems to work fine for me.

Well copying the files to a directly plugged USB was more problematic than I thought. Some stuff would copy, then it would bomb out saying the HDD was full.

So to cut the story short - I plugged the 3TB USB drive into my PC and FTP'd the lot over to the HDD. It took a while!

So now when I come to finally format the Humax HDD - it says the HDD is too big - WTF?

Humax Error by ilmostro749, on Flickr

This is why no other users have fitted Hard Disk Drives above 2GB, The Humax won't format a drive bigger than 1GB. It is possible to format a 2GB outside the Humax while connected to a P.C. or using the Custom Firmware (Version 2.12 not yet available), But even these methods won't go above 2GB because the Humax Firmware was not written to allow drives bigger than 2GB
EDIT 1 SEP 2012
Custom Firmware Version2.12 is now available

You misunderstand. My USB HDD is 3TB, partioned as 1TB EXT3 and 2 TB NTFS. The Humax sees them as 2 separate drives.

But the problem is it can not format its own 1TB internal drive!

Yes, Sorry I saw the 'swapping out drives' and didn't get past the 'however', I think if the Humax is refusing to format the 1TB your only option is to use the 'maintenance mode' mentioned above or hang on until CF2.12 is available which has more HDD utilities

Phew - I deleted every recording off the box, did a reset and reboot, and the Hummy asked if I wanted to format the HDD. Format went ok, and I was able to put the factory Firmware back and then the custom one and WebIF.

So touch wood fingers crossed etc - it's looking ok.

Hope there not an underlying HDD fault.

I wonder if a power spike or power cut caused the initial problem? I might look at getting a small UPS for my Hummy and Ps3.

Back