Help Needed With Networking

John1234

Please may I join in at this stage as I too am unable to connect my new foxy-box but I do have the green and yellow lights showing alongside the network cable, so presumably at least I have a connection. I have tried to run the LAN-instal option in SetUp, but this fails.
I have just installed the latest software update for TV-Portal but may not be as tech-savvy as Xcellante above, so please can someone explain exactly what I have to do to connect the Humax?
Fingers crossed - it's all I can do!:(

Please may I join in at this stage as I too am unable to connect my new foxy-box but I do have the green and yellow lights showing alongside the network cable, so presumably at least I have a connection. I have tried to run the LAN-instal option in SetUp, but this fails.
I have just installed the latest software update for TV-Portal but may not be as tech-savvy as Xcellante above, so please can someone explain exactly what I have to do to connect the Humax?
Which Humax box do you have?

HDR-Fox T2; and I have installed the recent TV-Portal software update with no change in result, still saying Failed

HDR-Fox T2; and I have installed the recent TV-Portal software update with no change in result, still saying Failed
On the Humax remote press Menu then Settings then System then Internet Settings. Can you tell us what is reported please?

First screen says "Configure LAN / Network Disconnected", content share & FTP server OFF
When I go forward to Configure LAN screen then I see:
Configure IP = DHCP
Network mask = 169.254.190.115
Net mask = 255.255.0.0
Gateway address = 0.0.0.0
DNS address = 192.168.1.254
Then trying to APPLY leads to "Failed ..."
What next???

Configure IP = DHCP
Network mask = 169.254.190.115 This is indicative of DHCP not finding an address from the router or whatever
Net mask = 255.255.0.0 Nothing unexpected here
Gateway address = 0.0.0.0 Should have the router address (or equivalent) - again DHCP not working

In this situation I'd find out what other PCs etc have as IP addresses, and manually select a similar one, set the netmask, and set the gateway address to the IP address of the router (or whatever the PCs are using).
If there is a valid link, you should get some indication that it works.

First screen says "Configure LAN / Network Disconnected", content share & FTP server OFF...

This indicates the Humax has not made contact with your router to obtain network parameters. Is your router configured not to allow any new connections? You could try setting network parameters by hand, but as the Humax says "disconnected" it does not think you have a live link at all.

At this stage I would try a cable directly between your PC and the Humax to see if you can get any life at all, if you don't the conclusion is likely to be that the Humax is broken. If you are not familiar with networking it would be worth drafting in a friend who is so that you do not write off the Humax by mistake.

Presumably you are posting this in the HD-FOX section because you have a similar situation (even though you are using an HDR-FOX).

First screen says "Configure LAN / Network Disconnected", content share & FTP server OFF
When I go forward to Configure LAN screen then I see:
Configure IP = DHCP
Network mask = 169.254.190.115
Net mask = 255.255.0.0
Gateway address = 0.0.0.0
Then trying to APPLY leads to "Failed ..."
What next???
Have you connected the Humax to a router?

Fingers crossed - it's all I can do!:(

Back to basics then: have you actually tried to connect your Humax to the Internet via your home network? That is the first stage, to get the native TV Portal working before you try to get the custom TV Portal working.

Whew; more questions! But thanks to all - now in no particular order:
  1. Posting here because I didn't realise HD and HDR were two different things
  2. How do I find out what settings my lap-top is working on? If I run IPCONFIG I get one quick flash of white on black script which then disappears before I can attempt to read it
  3. What does connecting Humax to Home Portal mean? Are you suggesting I plug it in to the mail ethernet cable instead of my desk-top PC, in which case, I won't have a TV monitor ...?
  4. What does connecting a cable between the PC and Humax mean?
All these remarks should give a clue as to my technical ability; why oh why can't it work straight out of the box?

2) On the P.C. Start >> Run >> CMD >> OK >> IPCONFIG >> exit
3) Get the 'normal' Humax TV Portal working to prove the Humax has a working LAN connection
4) Create a network connection directly from the Humax to a P.C. (Not via a router)

I would concentrate on number 3 first

John1234, I'm sorry to say you must learn to walk before you try to run.

First, the HDR-FOX T2 is a FreeviewHD+ recorder. The HD-FOX T2 is a FreeviewHD+ receiver with no internal hard disk drive, but which can have a limited recording function added by fitting an external USB hard drive. More details HERE (click).

Your writings suggest you have installed custom firmware and the portal-xtra1 custom package, and as you do not seem to have an Internet connection we come to the assumption you have done so using the USB route. Is this in fact correct? I have to say that at this stage I really don't think you should be fiddling with any custom firmware/software, get the basics established first. The custom firmware will not help you overcome your networking difficulties.

Now what's this about your TV? What you have written suggests to me you are using your computer monitor as the display for your HDR-FOX, or your TV as your computer monitor. That is certainly a way to add live TV capability to a computer monitor, presuming it can accept a composite, SCART, or HDMI input. However, the "usual" configuration around here is to have the HD/HDR-FOX displaying on the TV while we also fiddle around using the PC (with its own display!). Not that that necessarily matters.

I interpret you enquiry as wanting help to get your HDR-FOX connected to your home network and the Internet. The only alternative I can think of is that you want to get a point-to-point network connection going between your PC and your HDR-FOX purely so you can access the web interface for the custom firmware - but like I said let's not go there yet. Connecting directly between the PC and the Humax is more complicated because there is no router in the middle to allocate networking settings.

Presuming the former, you do not connect the HDR-FOX to your PC by Ethernet. You need to connect the HDR-FOX to your network router - either by cable or using a WiFi USB dongle (details HERE - click). Once you have done that, with "DHCP" in the Internet Setting options you have already found, the router will allocate the appropriate IP address, mask, etc settings and you will have network access on the HDR-FOX. Then you should be able to press the "TV Portal" button on the handset and get access to iPlayer etc - "out of the box", very much the way it says to do it in the manual. That will complete the first step.

Before you then consider moving on to the custom firmware, I think we would like to discuss with you what you think it will do for you and what you want to get out of it.

Well, that's a fabulous reply but sadly, I seem to have misled you about my attempts to date.

First of all, my Humax is ONLY (not shouting, just emphasising) connected to a TV, not a computer. Your explanation of HDR rather that HD is relevant; all I really want is the time shift recording ability which the Humax does so very well. Having bought it, I then noted that if connected to the Web it could also pick up BBC I-player, so I could even watch something I didn't think to record when it was broadcast AND (emphasis again) access Internet radio, which I rather like. That's all I want to do, even now

When I connected another LAN cable to my wireless router to hard-wire connect the Humax and it didn't work, my first action was to look at he HUMAX web site http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/support/support_intro.asp and there I found this update and found there this update
Application: 1.02.29
- Resolved TV Portal > Internet Radio issues (to be made available on the Portal week commencing 27th August)
which did look as though it could refer to just my problem. You are quite right, I had to download to a memory stick and then update the Humax using this, but all/full instructions were provided on that site
Only when this also took me no further did I discover the Hummy discussion group, and here I am, wet behind the ears

Your penultimate paragraph (connect to the router) therefore is exactly and all that want and I have tried to do, and it is this Internet Settings option that runs but fails. Perhaps it's me ...:(

Yup, the Internet Radio works on 1.02.20 and 1.02.29, but you would not need to update your firmware to make iPlayer work or for the TV Portal to work at all.

If, as you say, you have the Humax connected to a router port by cable, there should be very little left to work out. The obvious things are: try a different cable; try a different router port; try rebooting the router (power down and switch on again after a few minuntes). That the Humax says "network not connected" is a big solid indication where to look - and if all attempts to make it recognise that it is on a network fail, we will have to conclude there is something wrong with it.

Connecting the Humax to a PC Ethernet port with a cross-over cable or through a cross-over adapter should make the Humax recognise it is at least connected, even if it does not actually communicate.

Glad we sorted the language barrier out, it is very difficult gauging the level of competence in text.

my router is a BT homehub 3.0 type A
I ran the IPCONFIG command on my PC and then entered exactly these references into the Humax
Good News - Humax connected
Bad News - TV Portal appeared to run on Humax but no screen info display, just stayed on background TV channel, but Humax display scrolling TV Portal ...
More Bad News - PC screen says IP conflict with another user on same channel while Humax is running on TV Portal

So, some progress but as yet, no banana

You do need a different IP address from the one your PC is on!

Connecting to the TV Portal takes patience, at least initially.

You can copy the info. from your P.C.s IPCONFIG and keep everything the same (as you did previously) BUT the IP address must change, so if for example the IP address on your P.C. is 192.168.0.3 then you need to pick a different last number, e.g. 192.168.0.5 otherwise there will be a conflict between the P.C. and the Humax. The last number can be any number between 2 and 254 but it must not be used by anything else

Back