Help With Custom Firmware Please

Thanks, but those are the settings i finally decided must be correct and it doesn't work. I get

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Error: Connection timed out
Error: Could not connect to server

Can you ping the IP address from a command prompt ?

Thanks, but those are the settings i finally decided must be correct and it doesn't work. I get

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Error: Connection timed out
Error: Could not connect to server
I entered 'ping http://192.168.0.3' in cmd.exe

I got ping statistics Packets sent 4 received 2 lost 2

I'm guessing i've done what you suggested and that's not a good result?

Doesn't sound good. How is your Foxsat connected to your router ?

Now you are taking the p*ss! :)

I'll gladly give it a go, but as you might gather from my comments above, i would not know where to start.

Now you are taking the p*ss! :)

I'll gladly give it a go, but as you might gather from my comments above, i would not know where to start.

Open a command prompt. type telnet xxxxxxxx (your box IP address). First check your PC has telnet enabled.

If you get in type service and press enter

You should get something like this

Foxsat-HDR~# service
Name Installed Autostart Running
---- --------- --------- -------
lighttpd Yes Yes Yes
telnet Yes Yes Yes
vsftpd No No No
dropbear No No No
tinyftp Yes Yes Yes
samba Yes Yes Yes
mediatomb Yes Yes Yes
twonkymedia Yes Yes Yes
inadyn Yes Yes No
NASMount No No No
crond No No No
Syntax:
service start <service>
service stop <service>
service toggle <service> (toggles service state)
service auto <service> (toggles autostart)
Foxsat-HDR~#
Foxsat-HDR~#

Last edited:
I have telnet.exe in system32, but it does not appear in services.msc so i'm not sure if it is enabled. I tried anyway and got a failure. Then i tried ping again and got a complete failure for that too.

I have telnet.exe in system32, but it does not appear in services.msc so i'm not sure if it is enabled. I tried anyway and got a failure. Then i tried ping again and got a complete failure for that too.

In Windows 7 you have to use control panel to add the service, did you try this first ?.

Windows 'Path' may be screwed. Does this help?

Good Idea.

In Command window type path

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Users\Graham>path
PATH=C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Clien
t\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files
(x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA C
orporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;
C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\
Shared;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Progr
am Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\
Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Int
el(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem
\
C:\Users\Graham>

Forget telnet to check services status. Do it the easy way and just look under the "Services" page in the web interface. That will tell you if samba and telnet are (a) installed (b) set to autostart on boot, and (c) are actually running. If you have installed tinyFTP then I recommend you remove it via "Package Management" page and install vsFTPd instead. It will probably cure your FTP timeout problem.

I saw that page yesterday in my efforts to understand what is going on. I think the problem is that i have xp home and not professional. If i type telnet.exe in cmd, i get 'welcome to microsoft telnet client. But if i then type 'services' or 'telnet xxxxxxxx', i get invalid command.

Whoops, two more posts to read

Yeah, so then you need the command to open a connection "o xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" (whatever your IP address is). My Trail Guide isn't complicated, you just have to read it properly rather than skimming it on the assumption you won't understand it.

I saw that page yesterday in my efforts to understand what is going on. I think the problem is that i have xp home and not professional. If i type telnet.exe in cmd, i get 'welcome to microsoft telnet client. But if i then type 'services' or 'telnet xxxxxxxx', i get invalid command.

Whoops, two more posts to read
Instead of just typing 'telnet' in the cmd window, enter 'telnet 192.168.0.7' (or whatever your HDR's IP address is).
If you enter 'telnet' on its own it will just open the telnet client application and present the 'Microsoft Telnet>' prompt.
However, you can then enter 'o 192.168.0.7' or 'open 192.168.0.7' to access the HDR. You can also enter 'help' for a list of telnet commands.

Last edited:
Once you have confirmed that samba is actually running on the Foxsat check your Windows XP workgroup (Info on how to find and change the workgroup can be found HERE). This needs to match the HDR's workgroup name which can be found (and changed) via the web interface 'Settings' page under the 'System Settings' tab.

raydon said:
This needs to match the HDR's
Just like wot I said at post 5 which was poo pooed by others? But best to change the HDR's Workgroup to match the PC's so as not to possibly screw up the rest of his network.

Much as i really appreciate all the responses, there's a lot of suggestions that i've already tried and reported upon.

I've already changed the workgroups to match and that's made no difference.

One thing i hadn't tried was telnet.exe then o xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, but that doesn't work either. TinyFTP was not installed. I installed vsFTPd but it made no difference to the time out problem in filezilla. Service Management reports telnet (and samba) 'ON' in both auto startup and status columns. But telenet won't work. BTW, i didn't say the guide was too complicated, but it is too advanced for me. I'm struggling with very basic stuff. And as i said earlier, i don't understand why/how the download in the web interface works. It's great that it does, but what does it use?

Graham, i ran 'path' as suggested, but i'm not sure why?

When you ran the Path command you should be lookin for the directory in which 'telnet.exe' resides. You told us that it was present and correct in System32 (presumably c:\Windows\system32'
In a Windows command prompt, when you type a command such as telnet.exe windows first looks in the currently selected directory (Typically, in W7 C:\users\{username}) for the command. if it can't find it there, It then looks in turn in the directories listed in the windows 'Path' for it. If it can't find it then it errors.

If I type 'fred' in at a command prompt, the command 'fred' does not exist, so the command prompt returns an error. The error that I get is C:\Windows\system32>fred. (The prompt C:\Windows\system32 indicates that I have opened the command window as an administrator.) The error message is:
"'fred' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
operable program or batch file."

Back