Help With Custom Firmware Please

It's great that it does, but what does it use?
When working, which it sounds like it is, it enables you to do such things as set up/cancel scheduled recordings, see a now/next and 7 day EPG (OK it might be 8 or more days). Browse your media files and tidy them up etc. Copy files from HDR to PC , stream video to other devices and a load of other stuff (including recording HD in an unencrypted state by using nowster's patch) that has been well documented in the Documentation section. Presumably you can see all that lot on your computer. If not we are in a bit of bother, but you implied earlier that you could.

I can see it all in the web browser. I can download media files using the web browser, including hd with nowsters's patch.

I just wondered why that worked when i can't get telnet or filezilla to work.

WINDOWS\system32 is shown (amongst others) at the 'path' command and telnet.exe welcomes me to the Microsoft Telnet Client. But the command o followed by the hummy IP address (as suggested earlier) fails.

I can see it all in the web browser. I can download media files using the web browser, including hd with nowsters's patch.
I just wondered why that worked when i can't get telnet or filezilla to work.

It uses http so it works in the same as downloading a file from the internet using Internet Explorer. The file is being sent by the web interface server (lighttpd)

Last edited:
Can you 'see' the HDR in your 'Network Places' or whatever It's called in XP's file explorer? It should show up as FOXSAT-HDR along with your XP computer, whatever that is called and anything else you have got hanging on your network?

No i can't see anything at all obvious. I can see Mshome under Microsoft Windows Network, but if i click on it, after a while i get an error message saying "Mshome is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available". I have no idea what all this means or even if i'm looking in the right place.

Yes, you're looking in the place that I indicated, (but couldn't accurately describe as I've recently updated my XP machine to W7)It seems like a permissions thing that is not allowing you to 'see' the network.

Here is a bit of a guide on trouble shooting network problems such as yours. You should be able to 'see' and access the HDR (and any other network resources) in the Mshome workgroup under Microsoft Windows Network location. just like (in the case of the HDR) a hard drive located in your computer. So you should be able to drag and drop files around between HDR and your computer with no problem.
What I don't understand is why the ping doesn't work properly. It could be a permissions thing again. But whu it is intermittent is a mystery to me.
Have a look at the stuff that I have linked to, (and perhaps have a google of the error message that you have quoted above)

I think there was/is some sort of hardware problem. I had a fiddle with the ethernet cable at both ends. Now i get a 100% successful ping. And after telnet.exe and 'welcome to MS telnet', the command o xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx produces 'Foxsat-HDR ~#'. AND the Foxsat now shows in explorer under mshome!

I'd have suspected a hardware problem before but thought it highly unlikely because the web interface had been working perfectly. I guess most people thought the same as no-one mentioned the possibility.

Thanks everyone for taking the time and helping me get at least a handle on how everything works. I'll probably be back with a few more queries when i explore some of the other possibilities this splendid software offers.

Now the HDR shows in MSHOME then you should now be able to map its folders as network drives if you want.

I don't believe this. It's stopped working again - all except the web interface (and bbc iplayer). Ping gives destination host unreachable and i get the permission error message in mshome. I've tried fiddling with the ethernet cable and swapped it with another one. Reset rebooted. But i'm back to where i was last night. It's quite disheartening. Anyone got any ideas at all about what the hell is going on?

Could it be a problem with Windows XP firewall ? Try turning it off temporarily and see what happens. Click HERE to find out how.

Back