Hotel TV System

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
I'm away at the moment, and the hotel bedroom TV has all the usual Freeview services, plus LCN 400 - which carries the hotel's own service presumably injected into the distribution system.

It has a music audio feed, and a cycle of background still photos, plus navigable text information much like the Red Button "teletext" service.

All in all, very slick.

I have yet to explore the sauna, library, walk-in wardrobe, games room, ballroom, chill zone, observation deck, infinity pool, and planetarium - I have no idea what delights await me there.

From the sublime to the ridiculous. I am now in a Travelodge with a crappy analogue TV distribution system. There's about a dozen TV channels converted from the DVB, and a smattering of radio channels. For some reason it looks like the centre 4x3 of the picture is analogue-ised, and then displayed by the TV at 16x9!

It was only a one-nighter, no big deal, just reporting.

In fact the telly was a Samsung, with the normal Samsung TV handset (I have a couple at home myself), but pressing the menu button only got "function blocked" (or words to that effect) on the screen.

Chromecast wouldn't help much anyway - no free WiFi (and I ain't streaming TV on my mobile package)!

It's only one night and it is only TV after all. Go to the bar and get drunk for a change instead of festering in front of the idiot's lantern.

Go to the bar and get drunk
There are usually no such facilities in Travlodges.
There are not usually any facilities aside from a box room (IME - which is limited as I subsequently refused to stay in such places for work on the odd occasions I was away) and you have to venture outside even to eat at the overpriced greasy spoon chain next door.

Fortunately it was the briefest stop-over, arriving 12.45am and leaving 8am - I was only comparing and contrasting the provision with the other place!

With my tinnitus I prefer to have some (quiet) background sound even when going to sleep, and BBC NEWS serves nicely. On the occasions when I have used Radio 4, they have gone over to the World Service, and I might wake in the night to hear details about the extreme inhumanity of ISIS, or FGM, or anything else I might prefer not to contemplate in the middle of the night (not that I think these are unimportant!).

Back