How do I replace internal hard drive

geordie

Hi,

I would like to know the process of replacing the internal hard drive as mine is repeatedly failing.

I know that this has come up before but as technology moves on, the recommended brands of drive and processes are no longer valid.

So can anyone help and tell me the process of replacing the internal hard drive? I use a Windows 10 laptop so I cannot just swap the hard drives to configure it.

Also, can you recommend the drive to use (ideally a 2T one but I will use 1T if that is easier).

Thanks
Jason

The process of replacing the HDD is simply to choose a suitable new one (up to 2TB), fit it, and leave the HDR-FOX to format it.

The process of replacing the HDD is simply to choose a suitable new one (up to 2TB), fit it, and leave the HDR-FOX to format it.
Providing the Humax is using firmware version 1.03.xx. I fitted a Seagate ST2000VM003 nearly two years ago and have been pleased with it.

THIS is what I used. Same as what ML suggested above. Physically changing the HDD is not difficult, and is pretty straight forward. Not 100% sure if the actual procedure is detailed anywhere here, but I feel that it is somewhere.
One of THESE will save you a few bob if you don't need the extra capacity.

Last edited:
If you are prepared to run the custom firmware you can put in a larger drive too - The 4TB Seagate ST4000VM000 is a good choice.

Not 100% sure if the actual procedure is detailed anywhere here, but I feel that it is somewhere.
There is no procedure that needs detailing, as long as the new HDD is no larger than 2TB (for Humax firmware 1.03.xx) or 1TB (for firmware older than that). Just fit the new drive, and if the Humax doesn't automatically offer to format the drive go to Menu >> Settings >> System >> Data Storage >> Format Storage.

With the new drive fitted, it is straightforward to transfer content from the old drive by fitting it in a USB adapter and connecting it to the Humax USB port.

As af123 says, users of the Custom Firmware have the option to install much larger drives (no practical limit). See HERE (click) for details, and below for an introduction to custom firmware.

Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click)

There is no procedure that needs detailing
Yes there is for the inexperienced. (I agree it's pretty obvious for the experienced). But. Which screws do you remove? Which cables should you disconnect? Should you take anti static precautions? Are there any capacitors that retain their charge? Can you damage the PSU by shorting out anything? Should you disconnect the box from the mains? Etc. Etc. I'm certain I have seen this lot listed somewhere here.

No, I don't think so. I have toyed with the idea of doing a set of instructional videos on YouTube, and I think there is already a tear-down video.

There's nothing to it really, it just takes confidence that there's nothing to lose and everything to gain by getting out the screwdriver. After that it's just a methodical approach - don't be slapdash about it. Same applies to most things, as long as you can get into them in the first place - which is easier said than done in modern consumer design for dispose-rather-than-repair. In this case: it's easy.

That the OP is contemplating swapping the drive at all indicates he is comfortable with a screwdriver, so the remainder is just the assurance that no special preparation of the drive is required, which was my interpretation of the query.

Last edited:
As a quick guide. With the unit unplugged from the mains, open the main case (3 screws at the rear). The disk is housed in a plastic caddy (with the fan). Locate and disconnect the drive SATA data cable and power cable (ATX type 4 pin plug) from the main board. Disconnect the fan from the main board (small plug to the rear of the caddy). Locate the 4 screws that fix the caddy to the main board and remove. The caddy can now be lifted out. There are four large mounting screws that hold the disk drive in the caddy.

Locate and disconnect the drive SATA data cable and power cable (ATX type 4 pin plug) from the main board.
I find it easier to disconnect the cable from the drive rather than the main board. You have to do that whilst removing the caddy.
The hardest part is the fan cable.

I find it easier to disconnect the cable from the drive rather than the main board. You have to do that whilst removing the caddy.
The hardest part is the fan cable.
The fan connector on the main board of the revised hardware version is rotated by 90 degrees. This makes it much easier to disconnect.

Just replaced the original Seagate Pipeline 1TB that came in my HDR Fox T2 with a Western Digital WD Purple 2TB Surveillance hard drive. Pretty simple operation.

Three screws release the case. Three connectors to unplug (and remember to plug back in again after), four screws hold the disk caddy to the motherboard, four screws hold the drive into the caddy. No tricky plastic or spring clips holding anything together.

Two main gotchas:
1) I couldn't work out why the case wouldn't come off having taken the three screws out. Then I saw the security seal, that needed snipping/unpeeling. :oops::rolleyes:
2) As mentioned above the fan is built into the hard disk caddy, and the connector on the mainboard on mine was a little tricky to unplug, though loosening the four screws holding the disk caddy to the motherboard helped, as that gave a little extra wiggle room.

I found it easier to unplug the cables on the motherboard

When all screwed back together, plugged in and switched on, the system said the disk needed formatting - pressing ok on that message took me straight to the menu for formatting. Just say yes, format it, yes I know it'll delete everything, enter the passcode (0000 unless you changed it) and within it a couple of minutes it was all done. 1.8TB available space.:cool:

Then a couple of minutes later, it started recording something I'd scheduled before the disk replacement.

Just replaced the original Seagate Pipeline 1TB that came in my HDR Fox T2 with a Western Digital WD Purple 2TB Surveillance hard drive. Pretty simple operation.

Three screws release the case. Three connectors to unplug (and remember to plug back in again after), four screws hold the disk caddy to the motherboard, four screws hold the drive into the caddy. No tricky plastic or spring clips holding anything together.

Two main gotchas:
1) I couldn't work out why the case wouldn't come off having taken the three screws out. Then I saw the security seal, that needed snipping/unpeeling. :oops::rolleyes:
2) As mentioned above the fan is built into the hard disk caddy, and the connector on the mainboard on mine was a little tricky to unplug, though loosening the four screws holding the disk caddy to the motherboard helped, as that gave a little extra wiggle room.

I found it easier to unplug the cables on the motherboard

When all screwed back together, plugged in and switched on, the system said the disk needed formatting - pressing ok on that message took me straight to the menu for formatting. Just say yes, format it, yes I know it'll delete everything, enter the passcode (0000 unless you changed it) and within it a couple of minutes it was all done. 1.8TB available space.:cool:

Then a couple of minutes later, it started recording something I'd scheduled before the disk replacement.

If you warm the security sticker with a hair dryer it can be removed at one end, and it sticks back again once it has cooled down.

Just replaced the original Seagate Pipeline 1TB that came in my HDR Fox T2 with a Western Digital WD Purple 2TB Surveillance hard drive.
Surveillance drives aren't usually recommended for PVR applications so interesting to hear how it works out in the long term.

the system said the disk needed formatting - pressing ok on that message took me straight to the menu for formatting. Just say yes, format it, yes I know it'll delete everything...
On a new disk there is nothing to delete!

I recently replaced the hard drive on my Foxsat with a WD AV-GP 1TB and had to put a jumper across pins 5 and 6 to slow the data transfer rate (as advised in the AVforum). When it comes to replacing the hard drive in the Fox T2, I haven’t seen any similar advice. Does that mean there is no requirement for the use of a jumper with a Fox T2 HDR?. (I run the Custom Firmware on both boxes.)

Many thanks, Black Hole. Seriously, exploring and playing with the Custom Firmware on both boxes is often far more intetesting than the broadcast content. I hope everyone involved - the developers and forum experts - realise just how much their work is appreciated and how much pleasure it brings to those who use it.

Back