How do I stream to PC?

I've not tried that yet. The Humax media server does not 'serve' the virtual disk, so it would be necessary to copy the files back to /media or run mediatomb (can the Hummy run two media servers at the same time?). Anyway, at this point the process is becoming unacceptably cumbersome. The point of streaming is convenience. This ain't convenient.

I have seen WMP11 in Vista described as "broken". Since MS seems to have no interest in mending it, it's best to regard uPnP as a lost cause in Vista. XBMC is the only reasonably reliable solution anyone's come up with so far. (Personally, I can't live with the interface).

I've also had very little success using WMP as a DLNA server in Vista. I can, however, confirm that Serviio does work and is free. If you try it, be patient - it takes a long time to index a large media collection. Also, like most DLNA servers, it will not serve most HD content. Even .mkv files that will run if imported on to the Humax will not play over DLNA.

Suggestions: for viewing Humax files on a Vista PC, it's easier to decrypt the file by copying it to the virtual disk (using modified firmware) and transfer it to the PC with FTP. Use VLC or Splash Player to view it.
Similarly, to view PC files on the Humax, transfer with FTP, but be prepared for a high failure rate with .mkv files in particular.
For the enthusiast: download LiLi (Live Linux) and an ISO of Linux Mint and create a bootable linux usb stick (it's actually dead easy!). Mint comes complete with VLC and the Linux version of VLC will happily play files from the Humax media server, using uPnP. Don't bother to look for the same functionality in Windows VLC - it's not there.
Well that explains it at least - I'm running Vista and WMP 11, so it looks as if I'm stuffed. The other options are way too cumbersome for me. It was only ever a 'nice-to-have' feature anyway.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.

The plot thickens. I copied some of the HD files I mentioned above - those that were not viewable or picture-only - to virtual. Then I (re)installed mediatomb. Answer to my own question: yes, the Hummy can run two media servers at the same time.

The files in virtual are all available to VLC in Linux through mediatomb - but all play without sound. I suspect we're seeing the problem someone mentioned elsewhere in these forums. The first few seconds of each file have sound but when the programme proper begins, the sound stops. Presumably, the parameters of the audio stream change at this point and VLC can't make the transition.

I still haven't tried copying the files in virtual back into a folder the Humax's own media server can handle, but from the evidence so far, I suspect that the result would be the same. Also, as far as I can see, the only way to do this is with FTP. Convenience again.

One step forward....

Like I've already said I have no problem streaming sd using WMP, once the video has buffered i can scroll back and fore no problem but I am using K-lite 4.6. Never use media player classic so have not updated it, however if I do update it then I've got all sorts of problems no sound,stuttering sound, frozen video in other words unusable. Reading different forums it seems to be a problem with what splitter you are using on the mpeg stream could this be the same problem you're getting with the HD playback maybe you might try a different splitter. After much messing about with different settings etc I realize my life is slipping by:) so I just reinstalled the old K-lite pack and am now going to do something more useful like cutting the grass !!

Can someone give the latest on streaming from Humax to PC (XP). I can see the Samba enabled Humax media .ts files, but the computer only wants to download them at ftp speed (slow) I guess it would eventually play, but it won't stream. I've read all these threads I guess I need codecs/WMP etc but before I go that route would welcome advise. BTW I can't get the Humax on my local network, just an internet network (192.168.1.64 etc). My networking knowledge is limited, so need easy steps help.

I think it would be helpful if you were clear about exactly what you are trying to do. Your query mentions streaming, samba, ftp and speed issues. These are not all parts of the same discussion. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "I can't get the Humax on my local network, just an internet network (192.168.1.64 etc)". If you cannot network your Hummy, you can't stream, however, if you can see the Hummy with samba then you have a network connection...(?)

- 'Streaming' most usually refers to using the Hummy's DLNA server to make content available to other DLNA devices on your network.
- Samba is used to make your Hummy's hard drive directly addressable by a Windows file manager or other application on your PC.
- FTP is used to transfer files between your Hummy and your PC. In this case, samba can do the same things more conveniently.

If, as I suspect, you just want to play on your XP Windows machine content that is stored on your Hummy, there are several possibilities:
1) Switch on the Hummy's media sharing feature and access the files from your PC using DLNA. In practice, only users of Windows 7 or Linux have found this a straightforward process and I would not personally recommend it for an XP machine.
2) Again, switch on the Hummy's media sharing and use the Download function in the webif to decrypt the file and copy it to your PC. You will then need a suitable media player to play the file. The one that has consistently proved to be most successful in handling Hummy .ts files is Splash Player - either the free 'Lite' version or one of the paid options.
3) Install virtual-disk on the Hummy and use the OPT+ button on the remote to copy Hummy files from the Media folder to the virtualdisk, thereby creating a decrypted copy. Then use Samba to access the virtual disk from your PC and play the file, just as you would using any external or remote disk. Again, you will need a suitable media player - such as Splash Player - on your PC to play the file.

All processes that involve copying or moving files from the Hummy to your PC will be only as fast as your local network. If your Hummy is connected wirelessly, it may well be quite slow. This is particularly true of option 2 - if, for example, your XP machine has only a 802.11g wireless adaptor. However, under most circumstances, you should not notice any speed problems using either option 1 or option 3 above as the transfer needs only be as fast as the running time of the content you are watching. On balance, if you have a fast network connection between your Hummy and your PC I would recommend method 2. If you have a slow connection, I would prefer method 3.

I think one of the issues here is what is meant by streaming. Currently I can play a video stored on my pc via the wireless connected humax on its attached TV (as if it was on the Humax etc). Having most of the modified software installed, but not all and sharing switched on the control & playback of the video is perfect. This is what I call streaming.
Now in reverse playing video stored on the Humax on the PC (I don't want to copy it to my pc). It insists on just downloading at 1.5mbps (ftp speed I assume). BTW doing it this way the files then play correctly. Where I think my problem is is with my network, where I have no knowledge. Now as far as I can work out my Humax is connected to my computer via its IP address, in My Network Places its 'Network Location' is described as 'internet' and 'Computer' as 'Samba HDR-Fox-T2 (192.168.1.64)'. Whereas both my Home hub and my shared PC files are on 'Local Network'. Hopefully all that makes sense to you.
Perhaps I'm expecting too much, is it possible to do it in reverse? I don't want to copy it to my pc, just play it. I repeat I have no networking knowledge. It's not a question of being able to play the files, VLC & Splash Lite both play the .ts files Hidef & Stddef once they are downloaded, its not an encryption issue with auto-unprotect installed on the Humax all files transfer to a ntfs drive (either direct to my computer or via a USB hard drive) correctly. If I understand Fenlander it seems I won't be able to just 'stream' as I expect. Perhaps I need a computer with Win7. Thanx for help and understanding.

""1) Switch on the Hummy's media sharing feature and access the files from your PC using DLNA. In practice, only users of Windows 7""
Question: does this allow streaming without copying?

Yes, but you will need to use a DLNA client on your PC - it will not appear in Windows Explorer. Most people use Windows Media Player, which has DLNA capability, but as I mentioned this has proved problematical on anything less than Windows 7.

I'm still not sure you fully understand about encryption. All the media files on your Hummy are encrypted. If you stream them to another device using DLNA, the Hummy's DLNA server will look after the decryption on the fly. If you use any other method to access the files - samba, ftp, whatever, the files will still be encrypted and will not play. Auto-unprotect does not decrypt the files (this is a common misconception): it merely removes a flag in the system that tells the Hummy not to decrypt HD files. Copying a file to a USB device using the OPT+ button on the remote will cause the file to be decrypted as it is copied: in the case of HD files, this only works if the protection flag has been cleared. The virtual disk appears to the Hummy as a USB device, so copying to it makes an unencrypted copy there. You can then connect to the unencrypted media files on the virtual disk from your XP machine using samba. Open the link you see as 'Samba HDR-Fox-T2 (192.168.1.64)' in Windows Explorer, navigate to the copied files on the virtual disk, right click the file you want to play, and use the 'Open with' option to choose which media player you want to view it with.

Crystal Clear Thanx. "Auto-unprotect does not decrypt the files (this is a common misconception),,, is the thing:)

I have corrected my post #31 and thanx to Fenlander for putting me straight. My network was in fact set up correct:disagree: I have now successfully installed the virtual disk copied both Std & Hi-Def to it and WMP11 streams the Std :) but only plays sound with frozen picture on Hi-Def. Perhaps due to the age of my PC. Incidently WMP11 does not recognise .ts but will play them after you ask it to try anyway. Is it worth trying a different program?

What would be interesting Fenlander is where you think we go from here. What elements of the network play the biggest part in a successful Hi-Def stream. What would be the ideal setup do you think to achieve it? Is there likely to be an automatic way to copy the file to the virtual disk?

Without knowing the details of your system, it's hard to say whether it will be able to cope with the HD files. My 5 year-old 1.6MHz laptop struggles with 1080p but is quite happy with 720p.
I would suggest:
1) If you haven't already got it, download Splash Lite (free) or Splash Pro (£12). It works much better on a low-spec PC than either VLC or WMP. Splash does not need any external codecs. The only media player I've found that's even lighter on resources is Pot Player with the Core AVC H264 codec - but that doesn't handle Hummy .ts files properly.
2) You mentioned earlier that your network transfer speed is about 1.5mbps. This is marginal for HD files. Try to find a way to improve this performance: ideally, the Hummy and the PC should both have either wired ethernet connections or, at least, 802.11n wireless. If you go for the 802.11n wireless option, you should also use an 802.11n router. Homeplugs are another option, but not one I can offer any advice on.
3) Depending on how old your PC is, the graphics card may just not be up to the job. You might be able to upgrade the video in a desktop, but if it's a laptop, there's not a whole lot you can do. If your PC can play HD files on its own hard disk successfully, this is not an issue.
I don't think there's an ideal system - there are too many variables. Is there a particular reason why you need to stream as opposed to copying the file you want on to a portable USB drive and then plugging the drive into the PC? Do HD files really look that much better than SD on your old PC? (The Detail Enhancement function in Splash Pro makes SD video look a lot crisper.) How much time, effort and expense is it really worth to achieve HD streaming on marginal equipment, as opposed to some less elegant compromise method?

I don't think there's any automated method of copying to the virtual disk. As you will have noticed, even virtual disk copying is quite slow. If you have good network speeds, copying via the webif to the PC's hard disk is actually quicker than making the virtual disk copy that you will need before you can stream with samba. You can also do it without actually needing physical access to the Hummy.

I had already decided my system didn't cut the mustard so to speak, but was interested to hear your views. I plan on renewing things and I shall bear in mind your comments. It is also important to know for others to be able to referr to on this forum.
Things are changing so quickly these days, what with internet enabled TV's, USB 3 hard drives (which I have) but nothing USB 3 enabled to plug it into YET. I wonder what next we will be pondering over?
I have found Splash Lite is just marginally better at playing .ts files than VLC. I've not tried XBMC, wondered if that might help.
I guess my ultimate is to be able to stream (with ease) to all my TV's and computers from the hummy in Hi-Def, this obviously needs a wired network and a few other improvements, which I shall have to do in the coming months and years:bye:.

After months of being smug " Wmp works for me so nah - nah -na" went to watch something on my pc and no sound, video ok, audio made a gurgling sound and died. Anyway even though I have XBMC installed I wanted to know why all of a sudden WMP had given up the ghost. Didn't really find out why but I did find a solution http://shark007.net/win7codecs.html Installed these codecs and now all fine. If you're using 64 bit you'll need the 64 bit add on's as well. Hope this helps someone.

I have moved Jeremy's question about streaming, to it's own thread in the HD/HDR-FOX T2 Customised Firmware forum HERE.

Back