How do I stream to PC?

Yes both is the way. It's often misunderstood and unfortunate terminology that started in Humax land (they obviously weren't catering for modded firmware at the time;)).

The main thing to remember is that unprotect and auto unprotecting only changes a small flag on the file that shows itself on the Hummy as "ENC" and replicated to display the same way on the webif as well.

The absence of this flag will trick the Hummy into decrypting the file IF it's copied to a USB drive (or anything that it thinks is a USB drive e.g. the virtual USB drive if you have the package installed). Std Def files do not have this flag in the first place and so decrypt on copy anyway, but HiDef files needed to be encrypted as a condition of being a Freeview HD box. Using unprotect on a file by file basis or auto-unprotect to remove the flags all the time automatically just means anything being copied off the box to USB will be decrypted.

On top of that more cleverness has been employed to use the streaming capability to effect a Download command on the webif (rather than the Hummy on screen Copy command) which will pull the file onto your PC/Laptop and decrypt it on the way.

So the last part is that auto-unencrypt will work on whatever you specify but is best supported by automatically removing the ENC flags on everything i.e. the auto-unprotect.

I put auto-unprotect on there ages ago and forgot about it. Once it's on you can just work on whatever you pull off the box (APART FROM FTP which I personally have no need for these days) will get decrypted whether you use Copy to USB or Download on the webif.

Also to complete the explanation (although I know your OP was about streaming to a PC) if you are simply moving stuff off the Hummy to make room but you only want to play back on the same Hummy then you don't need to decrypt at all - there, now that covers it all I think!!!!!

There is one little thing (actually it's a big thing) that you've missed out.

Clearing Enc only allows a copy to USB (or virtual drive) using the remote control to be decrypted in the process. Clearing Enc can be achieved in several ways - Foxy, or the OPT+ button in the WebIF, or auto-unprotect. To permit a decrypted download or stream, or an OPT+ decrypt operation or auto-decrypt (unencrypt), another set of parameters held in the database have to be properly configured (call them flags for brevity), and at the moment only auto-unprotect does that.

I mention this in case anybody thinks they can just click "clear Enc" in the WebIF and suddenly the file is available for decrypted download. I believe this will be rectified in the future.

When I select the storage button in media on the humax I get 'hdd' or 'media tomb' options, what is the media tomb for?
Is it a folder where i can put pc files to enable me to view them on humax?

Thanks
Geoff

mediatomb is a custom package which provides an alternative DLNA service (able to "see" the external and virtual drives in addition to the internal content accessible to the standard DLNA server), but the content has to have been decrypted first. I take it from the above that you have it installed, and if you don't need it you can uninstall it.

I'm not sure why you are seeing it under Media.. Storage, except to presume that it sets up a virtual drive of that name which is then seen as mimicking a USB drive. Note that you will not see this virtual drive if you do not have any real USB drives connected (the Humax has to be tricked into looking for the virtual drives).

Back