How do I stream to PC?

You can stream with VLC by pasting the URL from the WebIF recording information panel (click on the recording name) into VLC's Media..Network Stream option, but that doesn't get you transport control.

Streaming is what I want, as this is to be used by 'ordinary users' on the home network who simply need to click and play...so VLC in that regard offers no advantage over XBMC which streams beautifully, albeit with no transport control. I get the feeling that the guys over there have dropped this one - it's an issue that's been around (as a bug on their system) for a while, still not addressed in the Beta and seems to be something to do with streaming MPEG-2 files. Other users, apparently, have said that other formats work - which is of no help on the FOXT2!

Ah well....I'll forget it for now and maybe buy a couple of HD FoxT2's.

With Samba installed, you could browse to the network share and open the file using VLC, as long as the auto-decrypt in place has done it's stuff. Then VLC is being played locally, with transport control, but you're still "streaming" in that you don't have to copy the file in the first place. Thinking about it, you could probably get XBMC to play these "local" files with transport control.

I might give that a go this evening....

With Samba installed, you could browse to the network share and open the file using VLC, as long as the auto-decrypt in place has done it's stuff. Then VLC is being played locally, with transport control, but you're still "streaming" in that you don't have to copy the file in the first place. Thinking about it, you could probably get XBMC to play these "local" files with transport control.

I might give that a go this evening....
I installed Samba, 'HUMAX' then became visible under 'Network' (Win 7), I could browse to a .ts file, select 'Play with VLC', VLC would start up...and then just sit there...nothing happened. All files decrypted. XBMC will not do this either and, sorry, I don't get what you mean by 'local' files. They aren't local, surely...they're sitting on the Humax.

Yes, they're sitting on the Humax, but with network file sharing installed the player application doesn't know they're not local and should treat them just like local files. It's not streaming, but it is a fine distinction.

Yes, they're sitting on the Humax, but with network file sharing installed the player application doesn't know they're not local and should treat them just like local files. It's not streaming, but it is a fine distinction.
It doesn't work anyway. Flogging the proverbial dead horse here...

Well I have just done it. Running the auto-unprotect script is not enough. Make sure the file has been decrypted. I used the menu option to decrypt, which when completed replaced the original with the decrypted item. Then it will play in VLC from the network share. I used "local" to indicate that you do not have to stream the file as it plays as if it's local, even though it's networked.

Well I have just done it. Running the auto-unprotect script is not enough. Make sure the file has been decrypted. I used the menu option to decrypt, which when completed replaced the original with the decrypted item. Then it will play in VLC from the network share. I used "local" to indicate that you do not have to stream the file as it plays as if it's local, even though it's networked.
Nope, doesn't work here. Nothing happens - VLC just sits there and does nothing. Look, don't worry - I don't want to spend any more time on it. Going back to the standard firmware.
Thanks anyway.

EDIT: Just discovered this by accident while browsing around. The Humax file shares in Windows Explorer that I'd decrypted (as you suggested) were causing the WMP previewer to display the player in the preview pane, so I simply clicked the file and it streamed perfectly in WMP, BUT...no way will it do the same with VLC!

Anyway, the object is defeated so to speak - you still have to manually decrypt. What we need is XBMC with transport control. But I don't think it's going to happen.

No, I hadn't seen it. Thanks very much. Are you using this? I find the idea of specifying the folders to decrypt appealing. I'll have a play.... Do you need unencrypt and auto-unprotect?

Yes both is the way. It's often misunderstood and unfortunate terminology that started in Humax land (they obviously weren't catering for modded firmware at the time;)).

The main thing to remember is that unprotect and auto unprotecting only changes a small flag on the file that shows itself on the Hummy as "ENC" and replicated to display the same way on the webif as well.

The absence of this flag will trick the Hummy into decrypting the file IF it's copied to a USB drive (or anything that it thinks is a USB drive e.g. the virtual USB drive if you have the package installed). Std Def files do not have this flag in the first place and so decrypt on copy anyway, but HiDef files needed to be encrypted as a condition of being a Freeview HD box. Using unprotect on a file by file basis or auto-unprotect to remove the flags all the time automatically just means anything being copied off the box to USB will be decrypted.

On top of that more cleverness has been employed to use the streaming capability to effect a Download command on the webif (rather than the Hummy on screen Copy command) which will pull the file onto your PC/Laptop and decrypt it on the way.

So the last part is that auto-unencrypt will work on whatever you specify but is best supported by automatically removing the ENC flags on everything i.e. the auto-unprotect.

I put auto-unprotect on there ages ago and forgot about it. Once it's on you can just work on whatever you pull off the box (APART FROM FTP which I personally have no need for these days) will get decrypted whether you use Copy to USB or Download on the webif.

Also to complete the explanation (although I know your OP was about streaming to a PC) if you are simply moving stuff off the Hummy to make room but you only want to play back on the same Hummy then you don't need to decrypt at all - there, now that covers it all I think!!!!!

Yes both is the way. It's often misunderstood and unfortunate terminology that started in Humax land (they obviously weren't catering for modded firmware at the time;)).

The main thing to remember is that unprotect and auto unprotecting only changes a small flag on the file that shows itself on the Hummy as "ENC" and replicated to display the same way on the webif as well.

The absence of this flag will trick the Hummy into decrypting the file IF it's copied to a USB drive (or anything that it thinks is a USB drive e.g. the virtual USB drive if you have the package installed). Std Def files do not have this flag in the first place and so decrypt on copy anyway, but HiDef files needed to be encrypted as a condition of being a Freeview HD box. Using unprotect on a file by file basis or auto-unprotect to remove the flags all the time automatically just means anything being copied off the box to USB will be decrypted.

On top of that more cleverness has been employed to use the streaming capability to effect a Download command on the webif (rather than the Hummy on screen Copy command) which will pull the file onto your PC/Laptop and decrypt it on the way.

So the last part is that auto-unencrypt will work on whatever you specify but is best supported by automatically removing the ENC flags on everything i.e. the auto-unprotect.

I put auto-unprotect on there ages ago and forgot about it. Once it's on you can just work on whatever you pull off the box (APART FROM FTP which I personally have no need for these days) will get decrypted whether you use Copy to USB or Download on the webif.

Also to complete the explanation (although I know your OP was about streaming to a PC) if you are simply moving stuff off the Hummy to make room but you only want to play back on the same Hummy then you don't need to decrypt at all - there, now that covers it all I think!!!!!
Sorry, you lost me a mile back.

All I want to do, is have the Hummy auto-decrypt what I tell it to, by folder / file, enabling others on the network to stream the result using VLC or WMP on their PCs. I thought this package would enable that to happen, but setting it up seems very complicated. I'm certainly not following this at the moment. Maybe I've reached the limit of my ability / willingness to tweak!

The way I understand it is:

HiDef files have a 'flag' called ENC. and if this flag is removed (unprotect the file) the file can be decrypted.

SDef files do not have this flag so can be decrypted.

All files must be decrypted either in the box or by downloading before VLC can play them.

The easiest way to deal with the ENC flas is to install the 'auto-unprotect' package and forget about ENC :)

The way I understand it is:

HiDef files have a 'flag' called ENC. and if this flag is removed (unprotect the file) the file can be decrypted.

SDef files do not have this flag so can be decrypted.

All files must be decrypted either in the box or by downloading before VLC can play them.

The easiest way to deal with the ENC flas is to install the 'auto-unprotect' package and forget about ENC :)
Yes, that bit I get. I think the point of what I want to do has been lost. I want to use the 'unencrypt' package, but I don't understand how.

What unencrypt' are you referring to? I think you mean the 'decrypt' package.

In webIF browse to the file you want to decrypt.

At the right of the file name is a OPT+ option, click on this and select 'decrypt'

The file will decrypted and will replace the existing file. It can then be streamed.

I am not aware of an automatic 'decrypt' facility 'in box', only by copying or downloading.

At the right of the file name is a OPT+ option, click on this and select 'decrypt'

The file will decrypted and will replace the existing file. If can then be streamed.

I am not aware of an automatic 'decrypt' facility.

No, I mean 'unencrypt 0.1.4' as described here; http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/decrypt-in-place.706/

The file will decrypted and will replace the existing file. It can then be streamed.

I am not aware of an automatic 'decrypt' facility 'in box', only by copying or downloading.
It sounds like you have still got lots of reading to do.;)

Back