How do I stream to PC?

I suspect you have Samba installed. You're seeing a samba share under Windows (as do I). Can you play recordings that are still encrypted by this route, or only those that have been copied to virtual or decrypted-in-place?
decrypted
when trying to play anything that is still encrypted splash lite locks up

running off your desktop, can you see the humax on your network
Yes, I can now, and I can play back, although it's a long wait for the recording to start. Disadvantage with this is that you have to copy the files to the virtual-disk before playing back, whereas XBMC will stream SD direct and HD is faster to load.

decrypted
when trying to play anything that is still encrypted splash lite locks up

Yep, that's a samba share. Not everyone's on the quite the same discussion here.
Using the Hummy's DLNA server you can stream files to a DLNA client (like XBMC or WMP) on a PC, TV, etc. The files don't need to be decrypted first as the DLNA server does it on-the-fly.
Using a samba share you can access any file on the Hummy from another PC, but the files must already be decrypted and you need a PC - not another DLNA-enabled device, like a TV. I'm not sure if we should refer to this as streaming. It's really just file sharing across the network.

That's exactly what I've been trying to tie down.

Please everybody, understand the difference between streaming (the content is served from the Humax DLNA server on demand), and importing (the file is random-access from a local copy or from a network share). There are technical differences, especially when it comes to the custom software on the HDR-FOX:

If the file is streamed, it is passing through the standard DLNA server and is capable of being decrypted in real time as long as the various DRM flags are appropriately set. This is no bother for an StDef recording (with no DRM except the Hummy's content encryption), but for HiDef recordings it requires auto-unprotect to clear the DRM flags first.

If the file is imported, whether StDef or HiDef it needs to be decrypted first - again, by using auto-unprotect and the WebIF "download" button, this can be achieved by leveraging the DLNA service to download a decrypted file to the local PC. Alternatively, if you want to mount the HDR-FOX's HDD as a network share, the file still needs decrypting but this time the options are to do an OPT+ copy to the virtual drive, or to use the new-kid-on-the-block decrypt-in-place.

If you are using an HD-FOX the options are more limited, as it does not have a DLNA service. In this case you need HDR Mode to be able to do OPT+ copies (to decrypt), and samba or cifs mounts to see the HD-FOX's external drive on the network.

So it looks like XBMC still has the crown for streaming HiDef. There was I thinking Splash had updated to include a DLNA client.

you still cant watch HiDef with XBMC unless it is decrypted first

"Streaming video is content sent in compressed form over the Internet and displayed by the viewer in real time. With streaming video or streaming media, a Web user does not have to wait to download a file to play it. Instead, the media is sent in a continuous stream of data and is played as it arrives. The user needs a player, which is a special program that uncompresses and sends video data to the display and audio data to speakers. A player can be either an integral part of a browser or downloaded from the software maker's Web site.":)

you still cant watch HiDef with XBMC unless it is decrypted first
You can, because I've done it. I do not have file sharing set up. The decrypting is done on the fly as it comes through the Humax server, as long as the flags are cleared by auto-unprotect. I'm just restating what I've said before.

i ve tried with the flags cleared but still cant see the hd file unless it is decrypted first

i still dont understand why you would want your pc to be a dlna client, where you have little control over the stream. when the files could be decrypted and you could then stream to any number of players, and have more control.

UNENCRYPT may be able to do it on the fly one day, which would be better

You can, because I've done it. I do not have file sharing set up. The decrypting is done on the fly as it comes through the Humax server, as long as the flags are cleared by auto-unprotect. I'm just restating what I've said before.

Indeed you can - I'm doing it too. I also copy the occasional recording to the virtual-disk, which decrypts in the process, allowing me to stream with FF/FR control. In my case I've just put XBMC on 4 laptops in the home network.

One reason why, in my case, I want a DLNA client is that when my daughter comes home and takes over the TV, I can tell her to go watch Hollyoaks in her own room, in which case all she needs to do is look in the XBMC library and play the file - nothing else to do. :)

i still dont understand why you would want your pc to be a dlna client
First off, this conversation started (before the thread was split) before we had efficient decryption, neither did we have network shares, and the riggamarole required to get a decrypted HiDef recording onto a PC to view on a regular basis was only for those with plenty of time on their hands. Streaming eliminates all those negatives (and they are still inconveniences even with the present state-of-the-art), and it can be done complete with skip because the HD-FOX does it. We're still waiting for the perfect client (other than an HD-FOX). There is another topic somewhere "search for the perfect client".

Once decrypt-in-place comes out of beta I agree network sharing will be a very attractive proposition - except that you still have to wait for the file to be prepared after the recording has completed.

Interesting, having established that XBMC will stream HD, I recorded an episode of BBC's Frozen Planet last night - XBMC will not even 'see' the .ts file. Auto-unprotect is installed and seems to be working...

Interesting, having established that XBMC will stream HD, I recorded an episode of BBC's Frozen Planet last night - XBMC will not even 'see' the .ts file. Auto-unprotect is installed and seems to be working...
You do have to wait for the file to be indexed by the DLNA server, which happens asynchronously. I would have thought it would be there by now though.

For anyone interested and on the subject of streaming HD particularly - the Nightly builds of XBMC are worth a look. I'm finding excellent stability, much improved controls once you're actually streaming, and very fast start up. The latest two builds, interestingly. are seeing all my HD recordings immediately and streaming them beautifully (although I note that auto-unprotect is now at v1.05, so maybe something improved there). The only outstanding issue is that there is no skip / rewind control which is a pain. I'd like to think they're working on it....

Useful info; I'm less keen on XBMC than Splash because of the way it takes your PC over. Splash however has it's own limitations!

Back