How do I stream to PC?

Try FTP.

I've had a little play and confirmed that you do not need to decrypt first. However, I have found that XBMC does not see the HiDef files in the top directory - only files that have been stored in series folders. Odd. The biggest problem I had is buffering and stuttery playback - but that could be my system/network I suppose. When it plays, the XBMC picture is excellent.

Only a suggestion. Do you have FTP Commander installed, or anything like that? It provides a file-manager-like interface. See Black Hole's Trail Guide.

I just did a test using Directory Opus (it has FTP built in), and deleted a disused folder in /mnt/hd2/My Video. You will need to go via /mnt, it seems to crash any other way.

Again, I'm not aware that Splash is capable of streaming from a DLNA server. Or at least it didn't the last time I looked at it.
Not by streaming, we lack a suitable streaming client, but the custom software can be used to download a decrypted version which can then by viewed with Splash Player Lite. Alternatively, recent developments mean you can decrypt the file automatically on the HDR and then mount the drive as a network share, which then makes the file accessible to Splash as if it was local.

You can do this without custom software, if you are prepared to use FTP and a PC program called Foxy to tweak the recording files, and then copy them to a USB drive to transfer to the PC. All is covered in the references.

Not by streaming, we lack a suitable streaming client, but the custom software can be used to download a decrypted version which can then by viewed with Splash Player Lite. Alternatively, recent developments mean you can decrypt the file automatically on the HDR and then mount the drive as a network share, which then makes the file accessible to Splash as if it was local.

You can do this without custom software, if you are prepared to use FTP and a PC program called Foxy to tweak the recording files, and then copy them to a USB drive to transfer to the PC. All is covered in the references.

Correction: XMBC will, in fact, access the HDR-FOX T2 content by DLNA streaming using the standard server including HiDef recordings, as long as auto-unprotect (not Foxy) has been used to clear the content protection the HDR-FOX imposes. It runs a little stuttery on my system. For some reason it does not find HiDef recordings listed in the top level directory, only subdirectories.

OK, been playing with this some more:

In fact, as you confirmed, XBMC will stream HD with only auto-unprotect installed, but I can only see the .ts files in XBMC for new recordings made since installing the custom F/W and auto-protect. The only way to play existing recordings, it seems, is to copy them to the virtual-disk first.

Two other points:

I found that XBMC will see and play HD recordings at the top folder level on the FOX T2 - i.e. they don't have to be in a sub-folder, but they do apparently have to be a certain size. I haven't measured this , but small test recordings would not play - larger test recordings left to record for a few minutes and getting to 400 / 500 MB in size would play with no problem.

I think the reason for the stuttering you experienced is probably a combination of net speed / 'on the fly' decrypting. Copying the file to the virtual-disk thus decrypting first produces a smoother result. Also, XBMC will not Fast Forward / Rewind unless the file is on the virtual disk. So for short programs, maybe streaming 'direct' is fine. If you've recorded a block-buster movie, you probably want to copy it to the virtual-disk first and then stream, so you can skip.

Anyway, interesting to play with this to see what's possible / usable. I have had absolutely no luck at all with Splash Player - it just crashes and burns on my system.

Useful input, thanks.

In fact, as you confirmed, XBMC will stream HD with only auto-unprotect installed, but I can only see the .ts files in XBMC for new recordings made since installing the custom F/W and auto-protect. The only way to play existing recordings, it seems, is to copy them to the virtual-disk first.
Auto-unprotect watches for new recordings and unprotects them when the file is closed. I'm not sure what you have to do for old recordings. IIRC the function has evolved a bit, it used to walk the folders un-Enc'ing any files it came across, but now it de-protects (that's more than just un-Enc) for the server as well but only as new files are recorded. This might be why I can't find top-level files - possibly they were un-Enc'ed but not de-protected.

I think the reason for the stuttering you experienced is probably a combination of net speed / 'on the fly' decrypting. Copying the file to the virtual-disk thus decrypting first produces a smoother result.
I can't agree with this entirely, my network and on-the-fly decryption supports smooth playback through the HD-FOX (complete with arbitrary skip forward/back), so the PC/XBMC must have some element to play in the stutters.

Again, I'm not aware that Splash is capable of streaming from a DLNA server. Or at least it didn't the last time I looked at it.
i decryped hellboy hd at the weekend

i tried watching it on the laptop using splash lite, and then on the main pc using wmp and nero kwik media

splash and kwik media both worked

wmp no sound

Very interesting. How did you get Splash to see the server? Perhaps you have a more up-to-date version.

Edit: I see my copy is offering me a "free update". I'll try it later.

latest version

open file
desktop
network
humax
media
my video
hellboy

advantages over XBMC, you keep within the windows enviroment and you can skip using the slider

That's where my current copy fails - nowhere to go from Network.

I think we have a new champion, and with the slider working it's as good as the HD-FOX (once the files have been auto-unprotected).

works fine on my pc

open file
network (left hand side near bottom)
humax
hellboy

desktop icon wont work, but when starting from all programs its fine

works fine on my pc

open file
network (left hand side near bottom)
humax
hellboy

desktop icon wont work, but when starting from all programs its fine

Nope. Where are you seeing the humax under Network? There's nothing there other than 'computers' on the network...

I suspect you have Samba installed. You're seeing a samba share under Windows (as do I). Can you play recordings that are still encrypted by this route, or only those that have been copied to virtual or decrypted-in-place?

Back