How do I stream to PC?

You do have to wait for the file to be indexed by the DLNA server, which happens asynchronously. I would have thought it would be there by now though.
I have only just discovered this thread.:eek:

A new version of auto-unprotect will fix this problem. It should be available in a day or so when I have completed testing.

Hi. I'm continuing some posts from the installing custom firmware thread.

I'm having a few issues and wondered if I could explore them here. I've searched and had a read around but wanted to consolidate my own experience here and maybe get some direct advice

Relevant to streaming and downloading I've now installed the custom firmware and loaded the following packages:

auto-unprotect
Samba
mediatomb

I have share content ON and FTP ON on the humax.

I've just added virtual disk also but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

I'm running a current model macbook pro and have installed xbmc. I also have VLC available. I also have a winxp netbook available if I need to compare MBP v PC functionality with the humax on my network. My network has a QNAP server on it.

My humax objectives:

1. Stream HD content over network from the humax to MBP laptop (and possibly iphone) without the need to copy and decrypt files in advance
2. Possibly download humax HD and SD content to my QNAP for archiving (but for playback on any devices later)

Issues:

1. Though I've read in this thread that HD content is streamable from the humax I am struggling to get this to work satisfactorily. XBMC now seems to have picked up the HD content on the humax (thanks i think to auto unprotect). This is via the HDR FoxT2 Media Server (ie. the uncustomised server I think, rather than media tomb). Yet when I play the files I have no sound. I've fiddled with the xmbc sound settings but no joy. VLC won't even recognise the upnp humax server, or mediatomb. Other HD content (sony camcorder) from my QNAP via twonky media plays fantastically
2. XBMX is crashing on a particular couple of HD files. I think the file may be corrupt. The file was on the humax prior to the custom firmware install. I will test other files and see whether the problem re-occurs.
3. Samba - despite originally seeing the humax share yesterday in Mac Finder when i first installed samba, last night and this morning it is nowhere to be seen. This is stopping me testing the option of playing via a share, rather than a 'stream' so to speak. I think the the mac Finder is flaky however as I have had trouble with other network shares before but that was down to a dodgy router. My cisco network generally now is in good shape. I have tried to connect via windows xp on the netbook but also cannot get that to work. Would it be sufficient to enter the following in the Run tool to connect the share? \\humax\

what does ffmpeg do by the way. I recall seeing it on a thread but have lost it. The package description is limited.

Will continue messing about and see what happens.

Hi, dooferdog,

I don't have a MBP but I also sometimes find the windows XP finder a bit slow, so I usually type the IP address in as \\xxx.xxx.x.xxx into Windows Explorer and it finds the box straight away. Also, I have now configured the Humax boxes to be fixed IP addresses outside the DHCP range on the router, which means they're always the same and easy to find.

I believe the ffmpeg may be a dependency for the mplayer package - neither of which are necessary for what you want to do. I believe?

I can't help with issue 1. Sound works for me here, kids use the windows XBMC with no problems.

For issue 2, I suspect you need to use the web interface to right-click->decrypt the files that are crashing XBMC.

Issue 3, Samba works well for me. You have to have the auto-decrypt package installed to play files from Samba shares (it decrypts the files via the Humax media server after auto-unprotect has done it's work. Samba is great for sharing files both ways.

Hope that helps, and join me in thanking the guys for doing all this work. It makes the Humax boxen the best PVRs going...

Thanks for the responses so far guys. Making some progress. I have upgraded xbmc to v11 Eden beta. This has solved the sound problem. So for simple Enc de-flagged files I these will stream in HD to xbmc on my mac with sound. The big issue with this process is the lack of transport on the file, so ff/rw etc for such files would be number 1 on my wish list jsut now (will have to find the wish list thread somewhere now). No crashes on the troublesome files either.

I think my samba issue was simply the humax powering down after non-use so that seems to be resolved too.

Bear in mind that transport controls of the Humax media server are not part of the customised firmware. If xbmc implements them correctly, then they'll work, otherwise you'll need to try another DLNA client. Since Samba, I now use VLC to play the files from the share and have full transport control.

Hi everyone, I'm going to ask the question, everyone hates but, I am obviously missing something simple. How do I stream media from my Hummy to my Desktop PC or Laptop running Windows 7??

I have posted here before but with no luck or solution. I can stream form my Desktop or Laptop or Android phone TO my Hummy no problem, but cannot stream FROM Hummy to either PC or Android phone. If I try using WMP then I can navigate to the Humax device but will not see any specific video or music files, I just get an error message saying 'Cannot find any files to share' (or words to that effect).

I have tried using XBMC with the same outcome in that I can see the Hummy but no specific files.

I have enabled all sharing options on both PC's disabled firewalls, turned on all sharing options on the Hummy running software version 1.02.20.

Tried other software & Codecs until the cows come home, but always the same outcome, can see Hummy but no files.

If I can share TO the Hummy what other setting need to be looked at to enable sharing the other way round?

Anyone??:confused:

If nothing that has been posted so far has helped (bearing in mind this is post 68), I don't really know what to suggest. You seem to have ticked most things off the check-list: XMBC can see the Humax so if there was any content you should be away (do you get as far as "My Contents"? You did add the HDR-FOX T2 as a source?). Click down through My Contents (perhaps you don't understand that's a folder name not a page title) to My Video and then the Humax media listing is within that. StDef only.

From Post 62, are you sure media sharing is on? If so, you might need to reboot the box and it may take some time for the media server to index the recordings to list them for sharing.

As far as using XMBC goes, I can add the Hummy as a source but once I try to navigate to it I click on it and go to an empty folder, nothing.

As far as media sharing goes, it is definitely turned on.

I have tried FTP and can see all the files this way, but when I try to transfer to PC it takes over 5 mins to try to open any file and then freezes. I will try to find a free .TS to .AVI converter and hopefully this may be a way to play my Hummy files on a PC.?

I have tried FTP and can see all the files this way, but when I try to transfer to PC it takes over 5 mins to try to open any file and then freezes. I will try to find a free .TS to .AVI converter and hopefully this may be a way to play my Hummy files on a PC.?
Are you aware that the files on the internal drive are by default encrypted?

I have posted here before but with no luck or solution. I can stream form my Desktop or Laptop or Android phone TO my Hummy no problem, but cannot stream FROM Hummy to either PC or Android phone. If I try using WMP then I can navigate to the Humax device but will not see any specific video or music files, I just get an error message saying 'Cannot find any files to share' (or words to that effect).
Perhaps the Hummy's database is corrupt.

Try turning content sharing off in the Humax UI.
Delete the file /mnt/hd2/dms_cds.db
Then turn content sharing back on and wait at least 10 minutes for it to recreate the database.

Perhaps the Hummy's database is corrupt.

Try turning content sharing off in the Humax UI.

Delete the file /mnt/hd2/dms_cds.db
Then turn content sharing back on and wait at least 10 minutes for it to recreate the database
How on earth do I delete the file /mnt/hd2/dms_cds.db??? I'm using an unmodified software version 1.02.20, how do I access this data??
I have suspected the software so have downloaded the software direct from Humax again and update via usb stick with no results.
I have tried leaving internet settings at DHCP & tried setting a static IP address with no change either, I have even tried connecting my wireless dongle supplied from Humax (I was part of a beta trail) with no change.
On a slightly separate issue, does anyone know if there will be any future OTA updates to the software to enable the IPTV channels for example??

How on earth do I delete the file /mnt/hd2/dms_cds.db??? I'm using an unmodified software version 1.02.20, how do I access this data??
Sorry, I assumed you were running Customised Firmware since this is the Customised Firmware forum.

I am not 100% certain that a corrupt database is the cause of your problem but if you you have ruled everything else out, try one of the following options:
  1. Load the custom firmware and delete the file using FTP or,
  2. Reformat the disk - you will lose any saved recordings.
  3. Return to Humax - you may end up with a different box.

Surely, if Shopps is using the unmodified software, then only the HDR media server can be used, and that will ONLY stream to another certified client/device which is HDCP approved (maybe only for HD content)? At least, that was my understanding, and as far as I'm aware, XBMC is not so approved.

That applies to HiDef. If I remember correctly StDef streams to anything (as per Black Hole's Trail Guide).

Bear in mind that transport controls of the Humax media server are not part of the customised firmware. If xbmc implements them correctly, then they'll work, otherwise you'll need to try another DLNA client. Since Samba, I now use VLC to play the files from the share and have full transport control.
Can you guide me through what you're doing to stream with VLC? I'm currently using XBMC Beta 2 (Eden) which streams HD from the HDR FoxT2 with auto-unprotect enabled in the customised firmware - now fed up with lack of transport control.
Thanks.

Simple - if you want transport control, you have to download the file first. All you need to do for that is make sure you are running auto-unprotect (not necessary for StDef), and then use the Download option on the WebIF media browser OPT+ button. With the file downloaded you play it locally with any number of media players (although not many cope with HiDef, Splash Player Lite being one of the best).

The advantage of using VLC as the media player at this stage is that it is unique in being able to start playing the file while the download is still in progress.

You can stream with VLC by pasting the URL from the WebIF recording information panel (click on the recording name) into VLC's Media..Network Stream option, but that doesn't get you transport control.

Back