How to run diagnostic

Well, I could be wrong in detail, but IIRC there is a track history of LBA0 errors being non-recoverable. OK, so the one does not imply the other, but it seems to fit.

If you were going to special-case something, considering how critical LBA 0 is to PCs, do you not think the disk manufacturers would put extra effort in to make sure it was usable? It would seem completely bizarre for them to deliberately special-case it down in priority.

That looks much better. The reallocated sector count has increased significantly. Keep an eye on it because if it is increasing by a few sectors a day on a regular basis then that will be sign that the hard drive will need to be replaced; if its stays constant then all is well.
Do you mean an increase in the reallocated sector is good (I thought the opposite) or do you mean disk looks better, but as the reallocated count has increased its an issue for future?

Faulty sectors pending reallocation are bad, faulty sectors reallocated is good - unless the number goes up rapidly to suggest there are a large number of surface defects developing, which could indicate some debris is eroding the surface.

Do you mean an increase in the reallocated sector is good (I thought the opposite) or do you mean disk looks better, but as the reallocated count has increased its an issue for future?
I certainly don't mean an increased reallocated sector count is good but it is inevitable in that clearing the current_pending sector and offline_uncorrectable counts to zero will reallocate some sectors. It is much better to have the counts of those attributes zero to avoid future problems. I am suggesting you have a peek at the reallocated sector count once a week and if it is steadily increasing then consider changing the hard drive; if it is not increasing and the Humax is performing OK then leave the hard drive alone.

Edit: The concern about reallocated sectors is that there is only a finite number which may well vary from drive to drive. In your case the remaining life figure of 86% for the reallocated sector count suggests that for your drive there are about 2800 sectors available in total, ie about 2400 unused so there is no immediate need to worry.

Last edited:
Back