When powered on displays:

FACTORY LOADER
FACTORY LOADER
UKSFAA 0.0E
Press 'STANDBY' button to restart...
20150420-072127
FACTORY LOADER
FACTORY LOADER

I appreciate you're taking your time to read this message and i would be highly grateful if you could share any knowledge on this issue or any way to go about fixing such a fault.
Please advise.

Edit - NB: The title of this thread is not informative. The OP says he has loader 0.0E, and for some reason thinks he needs to update that to 1.09 (although whether there ever was a 0.0E official release remains unclear, "E" could mean "engineering prototype").

UKSFAA 0.0E
I'll take that as a typo. It looks like the boot loader is corrupt.

I think the only chance you have is to follow the firmware update instructions here: https://uk.humaxdigital.com/support/?category_id=13&product_id=857&curr_page=sw_release, let's hope the corruption doesn't stop a firmware update - and that a firmware update can restore the boot loader!

Note that "FAT32" is probably not enough: Windows has a tendency to format UPDs with its own incompatible version of FAT32.

Last edited:
I'll take that as a typo. It looks like the boot loader is corrupt.
This is not a typo it displays the bootloader as 'UKSFAA 0.0E'

When i hold the volume down button to force a software update it brings the message 'Data downloading...Failed!'
I have tested the USB Drive and know that it successfully updates a box without this issue.
Do you think that the USB needs to be formatted differently for it to work in this case?
If not is there anything else you could suggest?

the firmware update instructions here:
This link doesn't seem to be working for me.

Please Advise

Alfie

In which case your title is a typo. It's one or the other.
Neither are typos.
Apologies the bootloader number i have put in the Title of this post is what the Bootloader should be.
UKSFAA 1.09

The bootloader that is being displayed on the faulty box displays UKSFAA 0.0E
Please find attached pictures of the screen i am getting.20200708_141744.jpg20200708_141729.jpg

I have a Humax HDR1100s.
When powered on displays:

FACTORY LOADER
FACTORY LOADER
UKSFAA 0.0E
Press 'STANDBY' button to restart...
20150420-072127
FACTORY LOADER
FACTORY LOADER

I appreciate you're taking your time to read this message and i would be highly grateful if you could share any knowledge on this issue or any way to go about fixing such a fault.
Please advise.

There is no fault.

There is no need to download and install a update to the downloader installed at the last Humax firmware update dating back to the 2016 olympics. This was to fix the the box problem to not be able to record the redd button olympic streams.

The previous factory loader update was purely for Humax to be able to diagnose issues, no normal user has ever needed it or never will.

Frankly this thread has some of the most ignorant and pointless posts ever.

It's a non issue. If you have the 20i6 update, your box is using the latest software,

And as OTA updates via satellite were stopped a while ago by the DTG. That means the only update path is via internet connected boxes. It's not surprising there are no updates found.

Last edited:
Frankly this thread has some of the most ignorant and pointless posts ever.
There is a clear fault here.
I don't quite understand what the point of you even posting in this thread was.
I am asking for help to fix a fault that i have and wanted to see if anyone has a similar issue but you're all clearly just telling me the same things that i already knew trying to force a system update.

Thanks anyways.

There is a clear fault here.
I don't quite understand what the point of you even posting in this thread was.
I am asking for help to fix a fault that i have and wanted to see if anyone has a similar issue but you're all clearly just telling me the same things that i already knew trying to force a system update.

Thanks anyways.

Why are you attempting to download a new bootloader that will make sod all difference to the box ? What fault do you have that you think a newer bootloader will fix ? The newer one only gave Humax engineers a way into the box to find bugs. It is of no use to anyone other than Humax.

Not aware of any problems since the last emergency update to enable red button recordings during the London Olympics coverage. Other than this there is no newer software updates. The BBC late last year took over the recording CRID codes using a different codeing system that can produce multiple recordings from the BBC Regional - SD channels and the Nations- HD channels. The BBC won't go back to the older system. The only fix for this is delete all other SD regions other than your local one and delete the other nation - HD channels.

This is what happened when my Foxsat attempted to record the Xmas special of SCD. The CRIDS were carried over from the final of the main series.

All 4 Strictly Nations Scheduled.jpg

Why are you attempting to download a new bootloader that will make sod all difference to the box ? What fault do you have that you think a newer bootloader will fix ?
Okay so i think you have misunderstood slightly.
The problem is not that i am trying to use a new bootloader on this box, i believe the bootloader is missing from the box completely deeming it useless without the bootloader.
The bootloader that is showing on the box currently is UKSFAA 0.0E

Okay so i think you have misunderstood slightly.
The problem is not that i am trying to use a new bootloader on this box, i believe the bootloader is missing from the box completely deeming it useless without the bootloader.
The bootloader that is showing on the box currently is UKSFAA 0.0E

Ah without a bootloader the box cannot start up from sby. Mine is UKSFAA 1.08 . That's the latest with the redundant feature for Humax use.

The latest software is UKSFA 3.00.96 that came in 2019 without any details from Humax. Afaik it was never released for usb flashing.

The newest update. HDF file dates back to 2017 not sure if it will update your loader or if you can indeed load it without a working loader. I will upload a copy to my fileshare site and PM you a link.

Longshot - I have a HDF that carries out the same function as a factory reset. It is useful if you get a box and don't know the PIN. Mystified how you managed to get a box without a loader. It's not something you can delete as a users

Ask if you want to try this

Thinking about this. If the box can't load a update file the only way I can see is persuade someone with a working box is to remove the drive and using software like macrium reflect to image the drive to a new one connected in a PC drive cradle.

You could also try removing the drive and installing a blank sata disk. The box can auto setup a blank drive up to 2TB capacity. If that works you should at least get a working bootloader. Mine is now on it's 3rd 2TB Seagate pipeline. You even get the recording reservations (this is held in NVRam).

Last edited:
Boot loader stored on the HDD - are you sure? I have no specific knowledge of this box, but it would be out of step.

Thinking about this. If the box can't load a update file the only way I can see is persuade someone with a working box is to remove the drive and using software like macrium reflect to image the drive to a new one connected in a PC drive cradle.
How can that possibly work? The bootloader must be in NVRAM to allow the box to boot without a hard drive.

An enquiry inappropriately added to this thread has been relocated (follow link-back or click here):
I'm trying to reload the firmware to reset the box. It's not recognising remote commands properly (it's not the remote) and a factory reset has been suggested but i cant do that if it doesnt recognise the remote so im going to use the firmward upgrade process, even though its with the version it already has, to reset the box.

I'm having problems with humax's instructions. They say:

1. Download and Extract the ZIP file to your PC or laptop.
- its not a zip file its a .hdf and 7zip says its not an archive file.

2. Check the file name is “hdr1000s_upgrade.hdf” (you will not need to rename the file or change the extension)
- this is the name of the downloaded file

3. Connect the USB memory stick to the PC / laptop and copy the file to a root folder of the USB. (Do not place the file in a folder)
ok

4. Remove the USB memory stick from your PC or laptop and insert it to the front or rear USB connection on your Humax Freetime recorder.
ok - i'm assuming 'the freetime recorder' is the hdr1100s? In fact i have a choice of side or rear usb socket and i've tried both

5. Press and hold the Channel DOWN button/arrow on the front/top of your set top box and at the same time switch it back on at the mains or reconnect the power cable.
ok - but it just boots normally. I'm keeping the down arrow button on the top of the 1100s held down throughout until it fully boots.

Please could somebody shed some light? Thanks!

NB, regarding the remote.
I have put in 2 new sets of brand new batteries
i have used a different remote (one for all, programmed and used for the 1100s)
held down ok and 0 etc as per instructions from humax support
powercycled box - left off overnight.

the symptoms are always the same - it is sluggish to respond to button pushes and when it does it keeps repeating the last button push until you push another.

Boot loader stored on the HDD - are you sure? I have no specific knowledge of this box, but it would be out of step.
the boot loader is not store on the HDD as changing the HDD would brick the unit, and that’s not the case as I and others have changed the HDD with ease. if you think of the unit as a PC, and the bootloader is the bios firmware, then is this is corrupt its wont load and like a pc restoring firmware and software could fix the unit. If the loader is stored on a nvram then with knowledge you can reprogram if it’s on a rom, the chip would need changing. I’m guessing with a little input from Humax, this could be fixed. But Humax just don’t respond.

the boot loader is not store on the HDD as changing the HDD would brick the unit
Yep, fully agree - but treading carefully because that poster tends to react badly to criticism. It would be better if he amended his post.

Neither the boot loader nor the operating firmware are stored on HDD on a typical set-top box (which works perfectly well without an HDD being fitted), and actually the "boot loader" is misnamed - historically a boot loader was a tiny piece of code (and the only piece) burned into a computer to enable the actual operating code to be pulled into working store from paper tape (or whatever). In this case the "boot loader" is more like a BIOS - setting up the peripherals etc before passing execution to the main firmware which already exists in executable NV storage.

Yep, fully agree - but treading carefully because that poster tends to react badly to criticism. It would be better if he amended his post.

Neither the boot loader nor the operating firmware are stored on HDD on a typical set-top box (which works perfectly well without an HDD being fitted), and actually the "boot loader" is misnamed - historically a boot loader was a tiny piece of code (and the only piece) burned into a computer to enable the actual operating code to be pulled into working store from paper tape (or whatever). In this case the "boot loader" is more like a BIOS - setting up the peripherals etc before passing execution to the main firmware which already exists in executable NV storage.
Agreed!

Back