Humax A1 Ultra HD Android TV Streaming Box

MikeSh

£60ish
But I'm puzzled as to the market.
A streaming box a few years back, before smart TVs were commonplace, would have seemed sensible, but this seems late to the game.
And I'd think most TVs capable of UHD would already have streaming capabilities.

What am I missing?

What am I missing?
Don't know. Did you just receive an email from Humax Direct? This product seems to be in my inbox also. (Neither of my TVs are smart and don't have streaming capabilities so it could be useful if I wanted this - which I don't)

£60ish
A streaming box a few years back, before smart TVs were commonplace, would have seemed sensible, but this seems late to the game.
And I'd think most TVs capable of UHD would already have streaming capabilities.

What am I missing?
Could it be aimed at the growing number of people who object to paying for a TV licence, connect it to a large monitor and tell the BBC to jog on.

Don't know. Did you just receive an email from Humax Direct? This product seems to be in my inbox also. (Neither of my TVs are smart and don't have streaming capabilities so it could be useful if I wanted this - which I don't)
Yes, email this morning.
I'm sure there are some people like you who would like streaming but I'd be surprised if there were enough to justify a mass production of this box.

Last edited:
Could it be aimed at the growing number of people who object to paying for a TV licence, connect it to a large monitor and tell the BBC to jog on.
Could be, though paying for streaming a few channels is more than the licence fee.
And plenty of other ways to get streams on to a big screen, like casting from phones, etc.

Just stumbled on a review of this box. Praises were sung but toward the end came:
Curiously, Humax tells us that the UK broadcasters’ apps – BBC iPlayer, ITVX, Channel 4 and My5 are NOT currently compatible with the A1, which makes it a tough sell in the UK. However, they may be added in the future (as they’re certainly supported on other Android TV devices).

From earlier in the review it does seem this box is popular in other parts of the world and the UK is a late market. So I guess most of the costs are already covered and even selling a few here would be income.

BBC iPlayer, ITVX, Channel 4 and My5 are NOT currently compatible with the A1, which makes it a tough sell in the UK
It would certainly put me off. Mind you, does any Humax device support ITVX ( expecting someone to chip in saying Aura)? The 5000T supports the other three and has an icon for ITVX which, when clicked on, returns a not supported notice. Two fingers to ITV then!

It might be useful. If there were not other, possibly more competent, devices out there at not dissimilar price points. Fire TV sticks. Chromecast TV. Roku. etc.,.

It's Android TV v11 and there is now v12 out there (with v13 for Developers). So that's now a tad behind, too?

On demand with adverts are a very last resort. I'd almost rather watch upscaled SD to skip the ads.

does any Humax device support ITVX
Brian's answered the Aura thing, but there is definitely some sort of 'concierge' function done on apps by equipment makers.
Our Android Sony TV was a few months later getting the update from ITV Hub to X than other devices - I did try to load ITV X manually but it wouldn't take it (or wouldn't even let me find it IIRC.)
I suppose they need to make sure new apps are compatible with their products, but that begs the question "Why have this standard Android OS if some stuff can't work?"
(That said this is a problem throughout as I have a few apps that can be loaded on my phone but not my tablet because "Not compatible with this device".)

"Why have this standard Android OS if some stuff can't work?"

There's Android then there's Android TV then there's Amazon's Fire OS (based on Android) and then variations within each of those... and probably more (e.g. Samsung etc.,.) ... plus the device memory and processor speeds limitations...

Similarly there are a great many variations of BBC iPlayer application / streams from the BBC. Also it is why some devices can and can't do things within iPlayer (e.g. 1080p vs 720p and UHD trial).

I've just got a new TV - OLED UHD all singing and dancing: except the Plex app is hobbled to 4Mbit/s and stereo only streaming... simply because Panasonic and Plex won't write a bespoke version of Plex for it.

Try being hobbled with 3Mb/s (if I'm lucky, with a following wind)
Not sure what I get from my old iPhone with a cheap SIM in, operating as a WiFi hotspot. Probably the same or less. Adequate for bog-standard streaming - so far.

£60ish

What am I missing?
Both Smart TVs and Android TVs have Apps but that's where the similarities end.

Both Android TV and the newer Google TV (also based on Android TV) are closer to an Android. You can do a tonne more with Android TV you can't on a Smart TV. For one the interface is better, secondly Google Assistant, thirdly a lot more apps.

The Xiaomi Mi Box S is £80 so £60 is fair.

Just stumbled on a review of this box. Praises were sung but toward the end came:
Curiously, Humax tells us that the UK broadcasters’ apps – BBC iPlayer, ITVX, Channel 4 and My5 are NOT currently compatible with the A1, which makes it a tough sell in the UK. However, they may be added in the future (as they’re certainly supported on other Android TV devices).
The Xiaomi Mi Box S also ships without these apps.

To be fair, I understand BBC must certify every device and this takes time/cost. Not saying it's right but often it's not the ODMs fault.

It might be useful. If there were not other, possibly more competent, devices out there at not dissimilar price points. Fire TV sticks. Chromecast TV. Roku. etc.,.
Amazon Fire isn't more competent. It has the hobbled Amazon App Store. Roku doesn't even run Android.

Chromecast with Google TV is a fair comparison but Google TV doesn't support all the apps Android TV does, although possibly most.

But yes the Chromecast with Google TV is better than most Android TV boxes.

It's Android TV v11 and there is now v12 out there (with v13 for Developers). So that's now a tad behind, too?
You'd think so but actually no not really. Android TV isn't like Android on Phones/Tablets, it's all just maintenance updates. New versions bring very little indeed.

Besides it's 1 version behind :/.

Back