Humax DTR-T1000 Software: Wish List

nigelmercier

My Humax DTR-T1000 got a software update a couple of days ago, good to see that there is now a Delete confirm option. I'm not sure if the sticky Skip has been fixed, as I've got quite good at avoiding it!

I have a few suggestions to make the box even more awesome:

Make better use of the screen space when using the Info button. The first thing that is vital here is the duration of the recording. More channel and date/time info would also be handy. I also note that the program subtitle gets put in larger letters than the program name, quite confusing. Even with these additions, there is a lot of wasted space: would thumbnails be possible, or even better a preview?

When selecting a program to record on BBC I get a prompt to record the HD version, this does not happen with ITV or CH4.

If there is a clash when setting record, the box very cleverly gives you the option to record another airing, it would be useful if this could be done even without the clash.

The volume control is totally pointless. It should control the TV volume (without having to select TV). The box volume could be set in Settings, although as the sound level is quite low, I imagine that everyone has it at 100%.

The option for auto mute when the Guide (or other full screen menu) is displayed. It is very annoying to have the current channel at full volume when starting or stopping a playback.

When looking at recordings, there is a need to go quickly to the Date/A-Z button from the listings, perhaps the Down button could go directly there from Recordings. Better still, could it remember?

When viewing the EPG, why not use the coloured buttons for changing the day and paging up and down? At present there is too much travel from the cursor keys required, and 50% of the time I use the wrong button, for >> or >| as I can't see which one is correct.

Are there any plans to add the facility to upload recordings to a USB flash drive, or over the network? This would be a huge plus.

A great deal about how a remote should work can be taken from the Sky+ remote, this is 100% intuitive, and the prompts on the screen are clear. It is a shame that the Humax buttons are so small and obscure, although a great improvement on the Fox.

Please don't take the above as criticism, it's a great device, but it could be so much better.

When selecting a program to record on BBC I get a prompt to record the HD version, this does not happen with ITV or CH4.
This is the fault of the EPG data, not the Humax.

The volume control is totally pointless. It should control the TV volume (without having to select TV). The box volume could be set in Settings, although as the sound level is quite low, I imagine that everyone has it at 100%.
This is common to the remotes for other Humax devices (HDR-FOX, HD-FOX, FoxsatHDR). What you desire is known as "punch through", and if it bothers you to have to keep pressing the TV button get a Logitech Harmony remote (they punch through whether you like it or not).

My HDR-FOX output volume is set to 18, which equalises it with the volume from the TV internal tuner. As it happens I use a HD-FOX connected to a Qumi projector with some PC powered speakers to provide the sound, and in this case the Humax volume is the most convenient way to control it.

What you desire is known as "punch through", and if it bothers you to have to keep pressing the TV button get a Logitech Harmony remote (they punch through whether you like it or not).
Are you sure about that?;) My Logitech Harmony certainly does not, unless I decide that I want it to, which I don't.:)

As it happens I use a HD-FOX connected to a Qumi projector with some PC powered speakers to provide the sound, and in this case the Humax volume is the most convenient way to control it.
Fair enough, so perhaps there could be an option in settings: punch through volume control.

A great deal about how a remote should work can be taken from the Sky+ remote, this is 100% intuitive, and the prompts on the screen are clear. It is a shame that the Humax buttons are so small and obscure, although a great improvement on the Fox.
Whilst talking about remote controls, I have to say that the Sky+ remote control is probably one of the worst that I have ever had the misfortune to use, and the box that it controls is definitely the worst PVR that I have ever used.:)

Are you sure about that?;) My Logitech Harmony certainly does not, unless I decide that I want it to, which I don't.:)
Fair enough, I have the 200 and 300 - but they do what I want them to do!

Fair enough, so perhaps there could be an option in settings: punch through volume control.
Well, it wouldn't be in the Humax settings - it would have to be a setting on the remote (somehow). £15 solves the problem.

My 555 is set up to have punch-through in Activity mode but not in Device mode which gives me the best of all worlds and complete control.

ps Youview have now published the details needed to set up a Harmony remote control with a code for the MyView function which avoids all that extra key-pressing going through the menus to get to possibly the most commonly used menu screen. See the Youview forums for details. Possibly more codes on the way such as for the Scheduled menu screen.

Whilst talking about remote controls, I have to say that the Sky+ remote control is probably one of the worst that I have ever had the misfortune to use, and the box that it controls is definitely the worst PVR that I have ever used.:)
Not sure I agree on that one. I think the remote is good, it fits nicely in the hand and has good button spacing/layouts. I can use the remote without looking down, not something I can say for the Humax one...

I'm not sure if the sticky Skip has been fixed, as I've got quite good at avoiding it!...

Make better use of the screen space when using the Info button. The first thing that is vital here is the duration of the recording. More channel and date/time info would also be handy. I also note that the program subtitle gets put in larger letters than the program name, quite confusing. Even with these additions, there is a lot of wasted space: would thumbnails be possible, or even better a preview?

[UPDATE]

The Sticky Skip has not been fixed :(

It seems that there are some thumbnails in the Info panel, nice. However, the Schedule and Recordings list need the recording time to be added, so one can look for hot-spots. Should be easy by shunting up the columns, and perhaps widening the window.

The sticky skip bug *has* been fixed but too late for the current release. It will be included in the next release.

Edit: It seems the next release has just today become the current release. Will check further ...

Mine was updated overnight (10.6.0) and so far has fixed the Sticky Skip. After confirming the update, I shut the box down completely (off at the back) and restarted it. Only managed to test it on one recorded program. The 'stickyness' generally comes into play after the 3rd or 4th press, but after 30 presses it still hadn't stuck - here's hoping the update 'sticks'!

Humax retail box.. Another point is I generally don't get updates until a week after they have been released - this one has come through a lot quicker

Back