Humax Faults v. Serial Number

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
The idea here is that anybody returning a HDR-FOX T2 for replacement (and perhaps there should be a similar thread in the HD-FOX section) posts the serial number here and lists the fault symptoms that cause it to be sent back. That way if anybody receives the same box as a refurbished item they can check the faults we are aware of have been addressed.

There has been a mild opinion expressed that publicising this information may pose a security risk - perhaps I am naive but I don't see where the problem would be.

HDR-Fox T2-1TB Serial number 63 7104644 00346
S/w Version 1.02.20
Loader Version A7.30
Sys Id 80BC.7E00
Updated 10 Jul 2011
Mac Address 00-03-78-BC-CB-F9

Rejected under SOGA for a full refund on 28/10/2011 and collected on 16/11/2011;
purchased from Humax Direct Ltd. on 27/06/2011

Fault history:
Probable dry-joint in the PSU.
Symptoms: Recordings (regularly) failing (with increasing frequency) with 'power failure' flag, and unsolicited reboots into powered-up mode.
These despite no supply failures in the home, and the HDR supplied via a filtered and surge-protected supply.

HDR FOX T2 1Tb - Sno. 63-7104644-00335

Firmware version - 1.02.20

Freezing for 2/3 minutes on playback whilst also recording. Freezes to black screen with occasional message of "The channel is scrambled or unavailable" Purchased 21/6/2011 from Humax Direct. Currently dealing with Humax Support.

HDR FOX T2 1Tb - Sno. 63-7104644-00335

Freezing for 2/3 minutes on playback whilst also recording. Freezes to black screen with occasional message of "The channel is scrambled or unavailable" Purchased 21/6/2011 from Humax Direct. Currently dealing with Humax Support.
Now that is interesting! Your box appears to be only 6 boxes away from the one I sent back. It would be even more interesting if we could decode the format. It seems to me that the -7104664- part may be some sort of batch number. I notice that Simonhk had (perhaps?) a different batch
-7104705-

On Monday 28/11/11 I just repurchased a new replacement HDR-Fox T2 1TB, and from Humax Direct (to show I hold nothing against them or the product), and it arrived today 30/11/11. It's serial number is 63-7105083-00671. So here's hoping for better luck this time around!

Yes that is interesting, I noticed that myself. I have followed Humax Support instructions. I.e. Factory Default - no change. Manual Retune - no change. Full reformat - appears fixed, no problems 2 evenings in a row. So it looks like the HD was getting it's knickers in a twist !!

HDR-Fox T2 1TB - Serial number 63710 4582 00088

Bought from Humax Direct in Feb 2011

Suffered from unresponsive remote control and intermittent playback failure (halting for 1-2 minutes then carrying on from the same point).

Resetting to factory defaults did not work, although the hard drive was never actually formatted because it was nearly full, the other half would have been very miffed.

Hi, first post.Have a similar problem with my HDR - It cuts out completely,as if mains supply has been cut and restarts 5-6mins later.After the most recent power failure the unit is working ok but the channel display on the unit is just red lines. Serial number is 63710428300140.It was a graded model from Humax Direct.

In mid-September 2011 I sent back an HDR-FOXT2-1TB (purchased humax direct ~February 2011), serial number 63710449600761, which had some fairly obviously hard drive related problems. (Apart from that it seemed fine).

Oh boy, these posts indicate serious quality control issues.

Agreed, we heard a lot of stories in the early days of HDR ownership (I bought mine in August 2010) of clicking drives and whatnot, but there do seem only a few now. Naturally we would hear more from people with difficulties than people whose boxes have been faultless (me for one).

Really? Six duff boxes in three months doesn't suggest that to me.

Add mine too. Total system failure, and returned for replacement. There should be a minute chance of this happening within a week of buying. There should be zero tolerance of the above failures, and this is only people who read this thread.

There should be a minute chance of this happening within a week of buying

Agreed - when it goes wrong pretty much out of the box then yes the QC process comes into question.

But on the other hand, as someone has mentioned somewhere on here before, the trend seems to be swinging towards let the punters do the QC when they get the kit - it's cheaper to handle those instances than add the cost of a proper QC check at the factory. Just as long as the 'no quibble' bit is handled well.....and of course that's the bit we have to fight for when it happens!

Most QC is done on a sample basis rather than 100% testing, so it's not surprising that the occasional bad one slips through. I suppose that you could call this consumer QC, but it ain't a new idea, except possibly for mission critical components where 100% QC is likely.

Add mine too. Total system failure, and returned for replacement. There should be a minute chance of this happening within a week of buying. There should be zero tolerance of the above failures, and this is only people who read this thread.

What you experienced is called an early life failure, otherwise known as the "bathtub curve" because the risk of failure early in life starts fairly high because most manufacturing flaws show up relatively early, the failure rate then drops during the main life of the product and starts to climb again after the expected lifetime as components age due to heat, dust etc.

You can't soak test all systems for several days so it's not a surprise that it slipped through the net - longer soak testing would greatly increase the cost of the product so it's not a surprise that this only happens in mission critical systems like aircraft electronics.

Bearing in mind the number of these devices that Humax have sold, 6 failures looks perfectly normal to me.

I returned this one due to random switching off and handshaking issue with the boxes sound.
The label looked like this

HDR-FOX T2/GB 7104367
637104367 00529
||||||| 2A

I have returned this box becasue it had random sound dropouts lasting 10 seconds or more on live and recordings. When wound back the was no problem with the recording so it must be a problem with the DAC or something close to it.
serail number: 63710506301283

HDR FOX T2 500GB - Bought from Humax Direct (Grade A)

Serial 63710431901715

Randomly failing to come out of standby and hard disk fault.

Back