Humax HDR-FOX T2 and JVC TV

The only thing I can think of is that your HDMI port on the TV is broken. Maybe the pins are dirty or bent slightly?
Have you any other kit that connects over HDMI to the TV to test it with? or a different HDMI lead?

Hello Chris. I have tried two HDMI leads and two different HDMI sockets on the TV with no different effects. The friend I am going to take my Humax box to to try against his TV brought a different, and expensive, HDMI lead but again there was no change in either of the 2 HDMI sockets on the TV.

Over a short distance, fancy HDMI leads are a salesman's con.

I'm sorry to say the likelihood is that your TV is not handshaking with the HDMI signals properly. There is a chance the HDR is faulty, but you will find out soon.

Yes, dont be fooled by expensive HDMI cables. Its a digital signal, so its all or nothing, not like the old days of analogue where it could start to break up.

It really does sound like your TV is at fault and if JVC are denying its a firmware bug, it must be a hardware fault.
The only way to prove it is to rule out all the scenarios like you are doing.

If the Humax is fine on the other TV, you should test another HDMI device on your TV to see if that has issues too.

Hello BH. I'm sorry, I do not understand what you have said about the alternative HDMI source "switching modes mid stream."

The TV syncs up with the HDMI coming from the HDR, but the broadcasters change encodings and/or resolutions between trailers or adverts and programmes and then the HDMI has to sync up all over again - which yours is not unless you force it to manually. We have had a whole batch of problems with the sound format changing, and HDMI compatibility has been steadily improving, but obviously Humax can't do anything about a TV that does not implement the necessary protocols.

Hooking up a blu-ray player (for example) wouldn't prove much as the source material probably won't change format while playing.

Hi Black Hole, It's my turn to get confused. Shouldn't the video signal down the HDMI wire be locked to whatever is set in the Humax V.FORMAT setting, 1080i or whatever? As for audio, if you set it to stereo, shouldn't the Humax always decode it to 2-channel linear PCM regardless of the input? I would expect the Humax to isolate the TV from any changes in the video format and audio encoding.

The sound problem I mentioned occurs when playing back a recorded file through a media player (eg VLC), and the encoding definitely changes in the data.. but you're right. I used the fact that BillPearson's TV was getting upset at obvious transition points as evidence that it couldn't track the change (and I think somebody else did mention it in this topic), but perhaps it is the HDR sending bum HDMI info after all.

Either way we'll get an answer when BP tests it elsewhere.

The strange thing about Bill's problem is that he was having trouble with ITV4, an SD broadcast which uses MP2 audio only. The Humax always outputs PCM in that case regardless of the audio preference (p.50 of the manual). Strange.

Does the fact that scart connection works and HDMI does not, give any clues to you experts as to what is wrong, please?

Yes, It's an HDMI Handshaking problem, Humax have 'tweeked' HDMI handshaking in every release I think, but as you've tried 1.02.28 and a previous version there is not much left to try on the Humax I'm afraid

This is just a thought - something else to eliminate. I have seen similar symptoms on my cousin's kit. He had both a Sony STB and TV. His issue (not necessarily yours) was caused by competition across the HDMI link between the two boxes when they were both trying to do the upscaling to HD. There are debates about which is 'best' to do the upscaling, the STB or the TV, with some arguing that (generally, but this may depend upon the age of your TV) that TVs have the better upscalers. That aside, it's at least worth eliminating the possibility of conflict by ensuring that only one of the two does it. If, by chance, that made a difference, you could then experiment to see which one did the job best (for your eyes!). But, I'm not hopeful, sorry :(

Yesterday I took my Humax to my friend and we connected it to his TV and there wasn't a problem. I could not replicate the blue screen whatever I tried. I think this is pointing to the need for a new TV.

There is one final test. My friend will bring along his (non-humax) tuner and we will try it in my system but I am pretty sure that it will give the blue screen as I am now convinced that it is my TV at fault. I spoke to JVC UK but they say there is nothing wrong and no update available.

I thank you all very much for your help and suggestions.

I think there is an incompatability between your Humax and your TV, but you may find that your friends (non-humax) tuner will work on your TV, because it's not really a fault just an incompatability. You could argue that both your Humax and your TV should accept the other's flavour of HDMI handshaking but there are a lot of combinations. If your TV is older than the Humax then the JVC will say 'how could we make it work on a product that hasn't been made yet?

Back