Humax HDR-FOX T2 and VideoReDo

If the process was quick, there was no re-encoding of the video and the quality will be exactly the same as was input in the first place.
Don't think it will be quick for SD source, as MPEG video has to be re-encoded as H264 and MPEG audio re-encoded as AAC. However, it should be very quick for HD as the streams are identical.

Last edited:
It came as it is. Is there an easy way to check its characteristics?

Open it in MediaInfo and look at the treeview option. It will tell you pretty well everything about video (and audio files). It won't tell you what the settings you used of course, that can't be that hard. There is a myriad of output setup options in VideoRedo.

It came as it is. Is there an easy way to check its characteristics?
Install MediaInfo for Windows. It's free and easy to use. It has a context menu option so a right click on any media file, be it video, audio, or picture can bring up detailed information on the item. Set default view to text for easy copy and paste into forum code tags.

"If the process was quick, there was no re-encoding of the video and the quality will be exactly the same as was input"

I didn't make an exact timing, but to save to a .TS file was just a few minutes, whereas it was nearer 30-40 minutes to save to .mp4.

Does that sound excessive in view of the above comment??

"If the process was quick, there was no re-encoding of the video and the quality will be exactly the same as was input"

I didn't make an exact timing, but to save to a .TS file was just a few minutes, whereas it was nearer 30-40 minutes to save to .mp4.

Does that sound excessive in view of the above comment??
See my post #21. That time is to be expected for a full re-encode. If you want quick then save as m2ts and use created file as source for AV2HDR-T2 which will create new .ts, .nts, and .hmt files. Copy these three files to your HDR-FOX T2.

Sorry raydon, I was referring to post #20 and somehow missed the ones after that - my mistake.

I am using your (brilliant) suggestion of saving to .mp4 and changing to AAC, but didn't want to suffer a loss in video quality, hence my post #19. I thought that converting .TS to .mp4 would take time, which is not a problem. Maybe I misunderstood the context of post #20.

Early results seem to show video quaility is as good. Thanks again for your help!

I am using your (brilliant) suggestion of saving to .mp4 and changing to AAC,
I would love to take all the credit for this, but it was Black Hole who first pointed out that using an mp4 enabled full transport controls. All I did was refine the process of creating an mp4 using VideoRedo, that was acceptable to the HDR-FOX t2. It's still not obvious why an MPEG format MP4 created by VideoRedo doesn't work, as these streams are acceptable to the box in a .ts container (which is why I have asked for details about the source BH used in his initial testing).
I thought that converting .TS to .mp4 would take time, which is not a problem. Maybe I misunderstood the context of post #20.
Post #20 just meant that if the VideoRedo processing was quick then your source was not being re-encoded. With the settings I gave you for H264 output, SD (MPEG source) would need re-encoding and be slow (quality dependent on VRD H264 codec settings), whereas HD (H264 source) would not, and be much quicker with exact same quality.

Last edited:
Sorry raydon, I was referring to post #20 and somehow missed the ones after that - my mistake.

I am using your (brilliant) suggestion of saving to .mp4 and changing to AAC, but didn't want to suffer a loss in video quality, hence my post #19. I thought that converting .TS to .mp4 would take time, which is not a problem. Maybe I misunderstood the context of post #20.

Early results seem to show video quaility is as good. Thanks again for your help!

.ts (transport stream) and .mp4 are containers not a video format. Not to be confused with the codec used to compress the video (eg Mpeg2 and H264/AVC (a variant of mpeg4)) - the common ones used in digital TV, DVD-Video and Blu-ray). Changing the container and retaining the original video and audio that is contained is a very fast operation. This is because there is no need to recode the video which is especially a processor intensive operation.

Essentially just the time needed to copy the great majority of the data to a new file, which is largely decided by the speed of your PC and Hard Drives.

Because there is no alteration to the video at all, the quality will be identical whatever the container.

Videoredo is a smart editing programme, that only recodes when it has to. If you are outputting at the same quality, only the edit points are recoded.

This has information on what video and audio most common containers can handle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_container_formats

In some cases simply changing the container extension will make the video playable (As per changing .m2ts to .ts)

Last edited:
OK, so I took an SD mp4 sample created in VideoRedo, containing mpeg video and audio streams, and determined it would not play back on the T2.
I then demuxed this mp4 into raw video and audio streams, remuxed them into an m2ts container, and determined that it would then play back OK on the T2.
Conclusion : There is nothing wrong with the raw mpeg streams so the T2 just does not like mpeg in an mp4 container.
So, I would hazard a guess that the mp4 video used by BH contains H264 video and AAC audio streams to have played successfully.

I understand the difference between containers and codecs. I'm not sure how to just change the container in VDR, but using "save as" option sets it on the time-consuming path of recoding (which changing the codec to H264 would require, presumably).

I'm happy because it's solved my probelm, but if there's a quicker way of getting the same result that would be great!

Simply changing the file extension did not solve the initial problem, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Been out all day. I'll sort out the format question of my MP4s tomorrow - but the previous comments seemed to assume that I had encoded them myself (I never said so) and should therefore know the VRD settings (which, even if I had encoded them, would not necessarily have been with VRD).

...the previous comments seemed to assume that I had encoded them myself (I never said so)
That's understandable as your first post seemed to imply that you had.
And yet a naked .mpg file imported to the HDR-FOX plays with full transport control (FF/RW/skip/scroll) so an alternative is to export the VRD output as .mpg.
(substituting mp4 for mpg of course)

However, from your subsequent posts it became evident that you hadn't, so the object then was to determine what VRD mp4 output was acceptable to the T2.

So, if your playable mp4 video does in fact contain mpeg streams it would be of great interest to determine exactly how, and with what application, it was created.

As someone recently said, "Always worth chasing down to a conclusion" ;)

So, if your playable mp4 video does in fact contain mpeg streams it would be of great interest to determine exactly how, and with what application, it was created.

As someone recently said, "Always worth chasing down to a conclusion" ;)
I will - it's new ground for me. Gimme a chance.

That's understandable as your first post seemed to imply that you had.

(substituting mp4 for mpg of course)
I really don't understand how; all I said was that I have a file imported onto the 'Fox - I didn't make any suggestion that I originated the file (as it happens, it was a download - and just the first one I tried out of a number).

I really don't understand how; all I said was that I have a file imported onto the 'Fox - I didn't make any suggestion that I originated the file (as it happens, it was a download - and just the first one I tried out of a number).
Not quite all, in addition you suggested that VRD would produce a suitable alternative
...so an alternative is to export the VRD output as .mpg.
which led me (and possibly others) to believe that your test file was exported from VRD. Anyway, it really is of no consequence now.

That was a suggestion.

Anyway, I installed MediaTab, which is supposed to be the same as MediaInfo but adds a tab to the properties pop-up in Explorer (or in my case DOpus).

I have .mp4's from a variety of sources, and every one plays with full transport control. Every one is listed by MediaTab as being AVC+AAC (Advanced Video Codec, Advanced Audio Codec). Is AVC the same as H.264?

The sources include: download from iPlayer and YouTube via the Humax TV Portal (and grab the buffer); miscellaneous downloads; and output from Serif MoviePlus (which is what I use when editing home video - sourced from a variety of cameras including iPad).

The only stuff I have done with VRD so far was on .mpg source material, created by WebIF conversion from the .ts recording (StDef). As you say, none of the .mpg's (before or after VRD) have transport control - or any control at all other than start, stop, and pause (and resume).

That was a suggestion.
Yes, I think we all realized that it wasn't a statement a while back, but thanks anyway for the clarification.
I have .mp4's from a variety of sources, and every one plays with full transport control. Every one is listed by MediaTab as being AVC+AAC (Advanced Video Codec, Advanced Audio Codec). Is AVC the same as H.264?
Yes, indeed it is. AVC and H264 are one and the same, and both terms are in common use and interchangeable. Your confirmation ties in nicely with my findings as per post #32. Thanks for providing that information.
The only stuff I have done with VRD so far was on .mpg source material, created by WebIF conversion from the .ts recording (StDef). As you say, none of the .mpg's (before or after VRD) have transport control - or any control at all other than start, stop, and pause (and resume).
So the bottom line is that if you want video that's playable on the T2 with full transport controls, but without creating sidecars, then the only way is to create mp4's using the H264(AVC)/AAC codec combination. Whether that's by using VideoRedo, or some other media application, is entirely up to the user.
Native HD video recorded on the T2 uses this combination so VRD should be very quick in creating suitable mp4's (after editing to remove ads for example). If you're not bothered about thumbnails or bookmarks it's an easy option.

Last edited:
Back