Humax HDR-FOX T2 and VideoReDo

Out of curiosity I remuxed a StDef recording to MP4 (with VRD), and the result reported as MPEG+MPEG Layer 2. It played OK in VLC, but the Humax just gave the "unsupported format" message (but, nonetheless, created a .hmi).

Out of curiosity I remuxed a StDef recording to MP4 (with VRD), and the result reported as MPEG+MPEG Layer 2. It played OK in VLC, but the Humax just gave the "unsupported format" message (but, nonetheless, created a .hmi).
Yes, I got the same result. When I tried to play the mp4 I got the same error message but it did not immediately return to the Media list. Instead I just got a black screen and I had to press Stop before it exited.

Out of interest I tried to create an mp4 file from a high def. recording on the HDR-FOX itself using the following commands:
Code:
ffmpeg -i input.ts -vcodec copy -acodec copy output.mp4
Unfortunately this failed, apparently due to lack of codec support. Did I issue the wrong commands? Would an update to ffmpeg make this possible?

Full name is H264/AVC
AVC and H264 are one and the same
Purely in the spirit of rounding things out, I was curious about "H264" and "H.264", especially as the VRD splash screen references the latter. All the web resources standardise on "H.264":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4 said:
H.264 or MPEG-4 Part 10, Advanced Video Coding (MPEG-4 AVC) is a video coding format that is currently one of the most commonly used formats for the recording, compression, and distribution of video content.
www.h264info.com/h264.html said:
H.264 is a next-generation video compression format. H.264 is also known as MPEG-4 AVC.

The discussion above begs the question (purely academic - I doubt there is anything we can do about it) why the different video formats behave like this. What is it about the (for example) .mpg format which makes it difficult to implement transport control (if there is anything more difficult than any other format)? Or is it that the decoders Humax have imported have variable capability because of poor choice (or maybe lack of choice)?

It seems to me unlikely that one would specifically code mechanisms individually for each codec, so presumably there is some kind of standardised API for interacting with each codec, and I am speculating that the individual codecs are unable to support specific API calls rather than the video format not supporting the semi-random access required.

Back