Humax HDR-Fox-T2 - Blank Green Screen output on HDMI

Google turns up some stuff on these "upgraded" boxes. I am sure it makes no difference in reality. The hifi / home cinema business is full of snake oil, with £500 cables etc.

That depends exactly what 'Uncle' Russ did to it and how much he extorted from whichever mug was stupid enough to pay his rip-off prices.
Part of the change is the removal of the on/off switch on the back to cater for the ability to attach your choice of mains cable.

I'm not sure I would want to trade away the on/off switch just for that! Sounds like a downgrade to me.

Part of the change is the removal of the on/off switch on the back to cater for the ability to attach your choice of mains cable.
An upgrade would have been a reset button like on the HD. But the good news is that the buyer got the IEC socket "upgrade", a £75 value (?), thrown in, and look what people said about it when applied to a Blu-ray player:
5 / 5 ... "A Definite Upgrade"
The first thing that struck me was the immediate improvement in the sound. Better separation, improved bass and a more natural presentation. At it burned in the picture got better and better. The image gained a natural look is just right. Simple to install with clear instructions.
5 / 5 ... "Impressive Upgrade"
I noticed a difference immediately.Vivid natural colours.Images that are sharper and more detailed.
Well worth the investment.
People who wrote this stuff appear to have been happy to put their actual names to it!

look what people said about [the IEC socket "upgrade"] when applied to a Blu-ray player:
5 / 5 ... "A Definite Upgrade"
The first thing that struck me was the immediate improvement in the sound. Better separation, improved bass and a more natural presentation. At it burned in the picture got better and better. The image gained a natural look is just right. Simple to install with clear instructions.
I noticed a difference immediately.Vivid natural colours.Images that are sharper and more detailed.
Well worth the investment.
People can be such idiots. "If it costs more, it must be better whether it is or not (so I don't look a fool for paying up)" - Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome

I'm sure I've read that sort of stuff multiple times before. It's all made up by fake people.
How does changing 3 feet of mains cable do this? Especially as all the rest of the cable from the power station to the house and inside is the same.
It's just b@!!@ck5.

If I wanted an IEC input (and in certain cases it's useful as a captive mains lead can be such a pain sometimes), I'd have cut off the existing cable a few inches from the inlet and fitted an in-line one.

People can be such idiots. "If it costs more, it must be better whether it is or not (so I don't look a fool for paying up)" - Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome
The ebay vendor said "Has had very little use, spent most of its life in storage." so having spent a huge amount on the upgrade they didn't use the machine!

The 'upgrade' did include an improved power supply and capacitor replacement which might be useful but not worth the £611 pricetag

I was looking for a good condition T2; that's all. You can buy them for 30 quid but those are probably near the end of their life.

Yes of course lots of people spend crazy money on junk, in the hifi / home cinema business. I am an electronics design engineer with extensive audio time and we all laugh at what is for sale. £500 RCA cables... with fantastic glowing reviews. The problem is that the bottom fell out of the hifi business c. 1985, when the CD came along, which delivered audio with 16 bit resolution (and pretty well 16 bit linearity too; I was buying 16-bit ADCs in 1991 for £5 which were linear to 16 bits). Remember 1 bit is worth 1/64k i.e. 0.0015% which is obviously orders of magnitude below any distortion which a human ear could possibly detect in a properly done blind experiment. So there was no more "junk wifi". No more crappy crackly record players and hissing tape decks. Well, except possibly Amstrad ;) and good olde Clive Sinclair could make junk at any price ;) And some 99% of the reproduction inaccuracy comes from the loudspeaker, which is just about impossible to do anything much about. So the industry had to find other ways to make money, and it started with gold plated cables and mains plugs! Oh and must not forget oxygen free copper and solid silver speaker cables :)

Capacitor replacement is a good thing; the cheap chinese ones dry out after some years, and that's if they are not defective to start with (which was a big scandal on PC motherboards some years ago).

You can buy them for 30 quid but those are probably near the end of their life.
I've netted a couple for about £50 each that have been perfectly OK. That's the going rate.

Capacitor replacement is a good thing
Not necessary until there is a problem - and although some HDR-FOX PSUs have gone phut, I have three plus a HD-FOX in continuous service, and another two HDR-FOXes in service out on loan.

However, I also accept the concept of paying well and paying once (assuming money isn't in too short supply).

I know this was done previously but I just don't get why making a PVR which is much better than the T2 is so difficult.

I would expect every £1k+ TV to have one inside. Some TVs already contain a hard disk but it seems to be used only for pausing a programme while one goes to take a leak, etc.

Even expensive TVs are in the market, where the key selling parameter is screen size/resolution. A built-in PVR means at least one extra tuner, a load more TV UI software which manufacturers are notoriously bad at, and which has to be translated for each market, not to mention (so I won't) a possible lawsuit from content "owners".

Some TVs already contain a hard disk but it seems to be used only for pausing a programme while one goes to take a leak, etc.
Some TVs have had recording capability for several years - but generally rely on plugging in an external USB drive, and are not capable of recording while the user is watching something else.

The market trend is towards streaming services, and this is particularly relevant as TVs become wall mounted with a desire not to have wires. However, it does not please me that the vast majority of Internet bandwidth gets devoted to people watching the telly.

However, it does not please me that the vast majority of Internet bandwidth gets devoted to people watching the telly.
Nor me. I don't want streaming services - they cost me too much! (and I don't have a good enough, cheap, broadband service). What things I do on the internet are becoming slower - I wonder why? Could it be all the streaming services?

Some TVs have had recording capability for several years - but generally rely on plugging in an external USB drive, and are not capable of recording while the user is watching something else.
I recently repaired a thirteen year old LG TV for a relative and was surprised to find when I took the back off, that there was a 3.5" hard drive providing some PVR capability.

Nor me. I don't want streaming services - they cost me too much! (and I don't have a good enough, cheap, broadband service). What things I do on the internet are becoming slower - I wonder why? Could it be all the streaming services?
What things are getting slower?

Well, money doesn't necssarily do the trick because this Ebay one is dud - it starts up but neither of two remotes does anything. Batteries checked, of course. Is there some way to prevent a Humax working with a remote? The PVR mode has been selected.

EDIT: solved. The remote was coded for a different box. Solution found:

1. Switch on your TV set and the Humax product that you wish to change the remote code.
2. Make sure that the other Humax product that you do not wish to control is in Standby or powered OFF at the mains.
3. Point the remote control towards the remote control sensor of the target receiver.
4. Press and hold the 0 and OK buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds until the PVR button on the remote stays red.
5. A message will appear on the TV screen:

"You can change the remote control mode.
Press a Numeric Key (<1> ~ <6>) to select the mode
Current mode: Mode 1.

Last edited:
We've recently started to have issues with green screen. I've replaced the HDMI cable but that didn't help. My observations on what causes it are:

1. If I turn the TV on after the Humax has started a scheduled recording - green screen
  2. If I change the TV input to something else (e.g. BT box) without turning off the Humax. If I then switch TV input back to the Humax - green screen
  3. Sometimes turning off the TV without turning off the Humax. If I later turn the TV back on - green screen.
Sometimes I can power cycle TV and Humax (waiting for Humax disk to spin down and listen for the 'click') to fix, but sometimes that doesn't work (and obviously that's no good if something is already recording) and I have to just turn off the Humax and wait.

We've recently started to have issues with green screen. I've replaced the HDMI cable but that didn't help.
This problem is reported from time to time but I think the honest answer is that there isn't a known solution that definitely works (some remedies have been proposed but don't seem to work in the majority of cases). I would try connecting to a different TV to check that the problem is with the Humax and not the TV. If you decide it is the Humax and it is happening frequently enough to be irritating then either buy a second hand HDR-FOX T2 or start looking at a current box; My pick would be between the Humax Aura or the Manhattan T-3R.

This problem is reported from time to time but I think the honest answer is that there isn't a known solution that definitely works (some remedies have been proposed but don't seem to work in the majority of cases). I would try connecting to a different TV to check that the problem is with the Humax and not the TV.

I used to have this problem with my old tv. However, new tv bought problem disappeared overnight.

Back