Humax HDR FOX-T2 Crashing on Start Up

Peter Humphreys

Hi, I have 2 Humax HDR FOX-T2 units which have worked fine for over 2-3 years but recently they have developed a fault in which the boxes will reboot themselves within 30 seconds of being woken from standby. There does not seem to be any reason or rhyme for this, I have updated them to the latest firmware but this does not make a difference.

Has anyone else has similar problems? The units where bought roughly a year apart but developed the fault with in a month of each other. All help much appreciated. Thanks

This could be a problem with something on your network that is running a DLNA server, have you added any hardware e.g. a Network server / NAS, or installed some new DLNA server software onto say a P.C. that is on your network, problems have been reported when installing Twonky ver 7 and Cyberlink PowerDVD Ver. 11 & 12, you can see if this is the problem by temporarily turning off content sharing on the Humax in Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Settings

Hi, I have just started to have the same problem. After experimentation I have found the cause to be having the aerial plugged in. Without the aerial the unit works OK, as soon as the aerial is put in the unit crashes. I have tried it at a number of locations to rule out aerial problems. Any help or suggestions would be most welcome.

Hi, I have just started to have the same problem. After experimentation I have found the cause to be having the aerial plugged in. Without the aerial the unit works OK, as soon as the aerial is put in the unit crashes.
Have you tried a reset to default settings?

That's a puzzling one, is the Humax display anything out of the ordinary? e.g. is the unit trying to re-tune it's TV channels or constantly displaying '* Deleting' etc.

Ah another thought, is the unit configured to supply power to a masthead aerial amplifier i.e. Menu >> Settings >> Installation >> 5V Antenna Power = ON, If so set this to Off

Hi, I've tried default settings and re-installing firmware. After factory re-set I can run the search for programmes with the aerial connected and the unit works OK until it has finished and reverts to normal operation when it immediately crashes again.

Hi, Many Thanks to Ezra Pound, The crashing on start up issue was because of the Twonkey server on my new NAS. I switched off the Content Share option on the HDR box and that solved the issue.

Hi, Many Thanks to Ezra Pound, The crashing on start up issue was because of the Twonkey server on my new NAS. I switched off the Content Share option on the HDR box and that solved the issue.
It's worth noting that if you install the custom firmware that you will need content sharing = On in order to decrypt recordings, but if you can't downgrade the Twonky server to Ver.6 the only other choice is disconnecting the NAS

After experimentation I have found the cause to be having the aerial plugged in. Without the aerial the unit works OK, as soon as the aerial is put in the unit crashes. I have tried it at a number of locations to rule out aerial problems.

Could the EPG be corrupt? Changing channel or stoping a program causes the EPG to renew, but only if the aerial is connected. When the aerial is out the box is not updating or dumping the EPG data. Can the box playback recordings with the aerial out?

(edit) Have you the customised firmware installed? If so maybe restarting the box in maintenance mode and doing a disk scan of the partitions to see if any are corrupted may help. Or erasing the EPG data through the maintenance menu.

Hi, Yes it can play recordings without an aerial. Yes I have done a disk scan from the custom software web browser. Is there another disk scan?

Hi, Many thanks to Ezra. When I first read your suggestion I almost dismissed it, as I thought it was a hardware problem. After following the instructions to run the disk scan, I was entertained for 2 hours or more of messages regarding disk problems. Once complete I re-powered the unit applied the aerial and bingo the unit now works as good as new. As I had all but given up on a repair I had ordered a replacement. At about the time of the successful repair I received notification that the new unit had been delivered to my work address. Not all is lost, now I can have one down stairs and one up stairs. Still not sure why disk problems would cause the unit to fail with the aerial plugged in.

The reception of a signal results in the HDR-FOX performing a variety of disk activity (eg TSR). If it hits a disk error, anything might happen.

+1 for that. The crashing has been driving me mad over Christmas with lots of recordings of films getting missed. Switched off Content Sharing and it solved the problem. Unfortunately, I'd got as far as RMAing the box before I found this post. just reinstalling CFW now!

Will then have to look at how to downgrade Twonky. It is packaged as part of the NAS firmware so need to see how to change it.

Thanks again @EzraPound

Back