Humax HDR-Fox T2 won't connect to TV Portal

But as you said in #15 BH, if DB has successfully installed the CF then his internet connection must be all present and correct? It would be good if DB answered all the questions such as those asked by ML in post #16.

David Brewer. Have you got the full custom firmware web interface displayed on your computer and can you 'do stuff' such as displaying the EPG on your computer? This will prove beyond doubt that, at the time of loading the CF at least, your box had internet access.

So tell us the values of IP address, netmask, gateway and DNS? Are you connecting to the hub by a network cable or WiFi?

Hi Martin, The settings on the screen when I press menu/settings/system/internet settings/configure LAN read...

IP Address = 192.168.1.72
Netmask = 255.255.255.0
Gateway Address = 192.168.1.254
DNS Address = 192.168.1.254

Although when I check on the web interface using my IP address, one of the readings is different in the Ethernet Interface panel.

IP Address = 192.168.1.66
Netmask = 255.255.255.0
Gateway Address = 192.168.1.254
DNS Address = 192.168.1.254

I have installed Webshell as per prpr's and Black Hole's instructions, but not sure what to do next.

Are you familiar with Telnet? If not, you may want to install the Webshell package now using the Web Interface that you'll have acquired on your Humax. Also install the Tcpping package (you will probably need to select the Advanced Packages option in the Advanced Settings section of the Settings page). (Tcpping is installed by default.)

David

But as you said in #15 BH, if DB has successfully installed the CF then his internet connection must be all present and correct? It would be good if DB answered all the questions such as those asked by ML in post #16.

David Brewer. Have you got the full custom firmware web interface displayed on your computer and can you 'do stuff' such as displaying the EPG on your computer? This will prove beyond doubt that, at the time of loading the CF at least, your box had internet access.

Hi Trev, yes the EPG shows up fine, grab attached.

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 15.33.16.png

There's no need to do anything - the Internet access is fine.

So if the Internet is okay, is there a setting I can twiddle with - now I have the nifty web interface working - in order to give the TV Portal a nudge to try to get it to buck its ideas up?

You can try resetting cookie & DRM data from the hidden menu.
(Settings->System->System Information->Red->Green->Yellow->Blue->Green->Yellow->Blue)

You can try resetting cookie & DRM data from the hidden menu.
(Settings->System->System Information->Red->Green->Yellow->Blue->Green->Yellow->Blue)

Tried that. Got a message saying "Cannot format the storage due to an unknown error".

You must have done it incorrectly, that is not a response to the stated option.

See Things Every... (click) section 9 for details of accessing the service menu. Once you have the service menu on-screen, select the bottom option ("Reset Cookie & DRM Data"), and you will be asked for the system PIN to confirm the operation (the PIN is "0000" unless you've changed it). Then exit.

There is no certainty this will get the portal running, but it is the only thing to try.

Good point. I turned that off on mine straight away (right f*****g pain, pops up first time you access the network with any new device).

You must have done it incorrectly, that is not a response to the stated option.

See Things Every... (click) section 9 for details of accessing the service menu. Once you have the service menu on-screen, select the bottom option ("Reset Cookie & DRM Data"), and you will be asked for the system PIN to confirm the operation (the PIN is "0000" unless you've changed it). Then exit.

There is no certainty this will get the portal running, but it is the only thing to try.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I followed the instructions to the letter. The "Cannot format the storage due to an unknown error" comes up immediately after entering the password 0000. Screen grabs below. When you say "this is the only thing to try", does that mean that I have run out of options for fixing the TV Portal?

h1.jpg

h2.jpg

h3.jpg

Not sure if this will help but thought it worth posting just in case.

Have seen some reports that BT home hub has a smart setup option that can interfere with iPlayer.

If yours has you could try turning that option off on the home hub

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub?-how-can-i-turn-it-on-and-off?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for that suggestion. The first thing I did when installing the new hub was to turn off the Smart Setup.

h4.jpg

Thanks for the screenshots, they certainly help confirm what's going on.

When you say "this is the only thing to try", does that mean that I have run out of options for fixing the TV Portal?
Having made sure everything is correct at your end, there is nothing we can do to correct things at the Humax server end. However, your results in post 12 are very strange, and may indicate an underlying problem we have never seen before (we've certainly never had this symptom reported before).

Start with a disk check and fix:
  1. WebIF >> Diagnostics >> Command Line (this is where webshell comes in handy!), enter PIN when requested;
  2. Select option "maint" (type it at the prompt and press Return), confirm with "y";
  3. The browser window will freeze while the HDR reboots, after a short time refresh the browser until you get options "Exit maintenance mode" and "Access Telnet menu" (the HDR has been rebooted into a state where the HDD is off-line for maintenance and normal set-top box operations are disabled);
  4. Click "Access Telnet menu", enter PIN again, and select option "fixdisk".
Let this run and respond to any prompts. You can leave it running and go back to it later, but let it finish (which may take anything from a few minutes to a few hours). This is not destructive of existing recordings (unless a recording is broken anyway).

With a bit of luck, a problem with the file system will be found and fixed, which restores the "reset cookie" operation. If the system could not access the DRM data this may explain why the portal isn't working, and this is new information.

Should the fixdisk process report errors, please copy them to a forum post (even fixed ones).

Thanks Black Hole, I'll put the kettle on and get cracking. Will report back. Appreciate all this help. Amazing. David

Thanks for the screenshots, they certainly help confirm what's going on.
Should the fixdisk process report errors, please copy them to a forum post (even fixed ones).

Hi Black Hole, I ran the test and copied everything over to a text file for expert eyes to study (attached). Tried the TV Portal again but it says it's still loading (the usual response - until that message clears).

Attachments

• David_Brewer_Humax_Test.txt
    78.4 KB · Views: 13
With a bit of luck, a problem with the file system will be found and fixed, which restores the "reset cookie" operation.
Running a disk check is a good idea but it won't fix the cookie problem - they're stored in flash.
At this point, the only thing I can suggest is to install the System Flush update from the Custom Firmware downloads page which will reformat the flash area.
It will effectively do a factory reset though so you'll lose all settings and your recording schedule (although you can back that up first through the web interface and restore afterwards). It will not affect recordings.

Great, have done the backup as instructed. Can't remember where to find that System Flush update. Could you resend the link to the Custom Firmware downloads page, please? Thanks

Back