Humax PVR-9300 to HDR FOX T2

Ed Ludlow

I have a Humax 9300t but am upgrading to the FOX to get the HD channels. Is it possible to move the contents of my existing device onto the T2?

Thanks!

Ed

PS which apps are available on the humax Internet portal that's is in the T2?

Here is a list of stuff available on the Humax HDR TV portal. The left column is the standard Humax offering and the other 2 are is extra stuff available when using the Custom Firmware
tv-portal.jpg

I have a Humax 9300t but am upgrading to the FOX to get the HD channels. Is it possible to move the contents of my existing device onto the T2?
Yes if you are prepared to open the case and attach the hard drive to a PC. You can then download the recordings to the PC using humaxrw and then FTP them to the HDR.

No, you have to turn it on in the system menus:

Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> FTP Server = On

You don't need to use FTP, if you prefer you could transfer the files onto the HDR using a USB drive. However, as I understand it, you must use humaxrw running on a PC to be able to read the proprietary drive format from the 9100/9200/9300, in order to copy the files to a USB drive or FTP connection.

Thanks. That sounds good to me, no problem dismantling the old unit. So does the t2 run FTP by default?
Yes it has an FTP server built in by default (not a particularly good one but just about adequate) but it isn't turned on by default. No problem to put recordings on the Humax but you need to be aware that if you want to take them off they are initially stored encrypted. There is a LOT of information about how to cope with this on the Forum.

Thanks all. Just ordered my new unit :)

The deal breaker is that the custom firmware will allow me to use Sky Player: I live in a property where we can't have a sky dish (conservation...), so currently watching Sky is a faff as it means connecting laptop up to the TV (I have a valid sky subscription.

Does the humax unit register as one of the permissible Sky playback devices?

Regarding FTP: I'll get the new box in place and working, and then decrypt and transfer the contents of the old HDD.

Web interface with the custom firmware looks sweet too.

Ed Ludlow : Does the humax unit register as one of the permissible Sky playback devices?

Regarding FTP: I'll get the new box in place and working, and then decrypt and transfer the contents of the old HDD.

Web interface with the custom firmware looks sweet too.

Yes the Humax does register as one of the permissible Sky playback devices, I understanding is the it is a bit 'flakey' but it is still possible that Humax will build this into the official firmware as promised. Have a look at the WiKi for info on the Web-If Custom Firmware

Sorry I have confused you. The old hard drive from the 9300T is not encrypted so nothing to do. It is using the FTP server to take content off the HDR where encryption becomes an issue.

Apparently not. To amplify (my understanding of the foregoing, and edited to incorporate Martin's comments below):
  1. Extract the 9300 drive and connect to a PC by any means (probably a USB to ATA adapter);
  2. Run humaxrw on the PC to be able to access the 9300 drive format and copy the files to the PC;
  3. Enable the FTP server on the HDR-FOX;
  4. Transfer the 9300 files from the PC to the HDR-FOX My Video folder (or pre-created sub-folder within).
Only if you wish to access recordings made natively on the HDR-FOX does encryption become an issue. See Things Every... section 5 for details (the whole thing will be a useful read for you).

Apparently not. To amplify (my understanding of the foregoing):

Extract the 9300 drive and connect to a PC by any means (probably a USB to ATA adapter);​
Correct
Run humaxrw on the PC to be able to access the 9300 drive format;​
Not really; humaxrw is a data transfer program not a device driver. You use humaxrw to download the programs to the PC and then FTP them to the HDR as a separate process.
Enable the FTP server on the HDR-FOX;​
Correct
Transfer the 9300 files directly to the HDR-FOX My Video folder (or pre-created sub-folder within).​
Not possible in one step as far as I know.

Not possible in one step as far as I know.
Of course it is. If you use Samba on the HDR, you can map a drive on the PC. Then make the mapped drive and whatever directory you desire the current working dir and extract using humaxrw direct onto the HDR.

Possible with custom firmware on the HDR-FOX, yes, but the custom firmware is not a requirement for the process outlined above and has not been introduced to the conversation.

Back