Humax replacement needed with same features

Claire

I am totally gutted, I love my trusty old humax foxsat box. But alas it needs to be replaced, I'm moving house and it's almost impossible to install a dish and far easier (I hope) to replace the receiver recorder.

Recently a friend bought a Humax HDR (without prior research) and there are features missing on it that are very important to me. Please could anyone recommend a new Humax Freeview box which still has these features please.

File Manager. For sorting my saved recordings into neat tidy multiple layer folders.

Programmable fast forward skip button. Mine is set to 4mins which is roughly the exact length of the adverts (on some channels) so I can skip them with just one press on 8 out of 10 occasions but it's good enough for me.

Please help !! And Many Thanks

Will installing custom firmware enable me to use it on an aerial connection instead of a satalite feed. I thought this was a hardware difference between freeview and freesat ?

@ BH. I think Claire said she had a FoxSat HDR.
@ Claire. Your'e right. No it won't. What, I think BH meant was that you could do an awful lot worse than get a second hand Fox HDR T2 (Freevie {FV}) recorder and whack on the Custom Firmware (CF). As well as being a great FV recorder out of the box, all manner of wonderful things can be done with the CF.
The main thing it's lacking is all the bells and whistles of catchup TV, but is marginally better in that respect than your FoxSat.
(and yes, you can programme the skip time)

@ BH. I think Claire said she had a FoxSat HDR.
@ Claire. Your'e right. No it won't. What, I think BH meant was that you could do an awful lot worse than get a second hand Fox HDR T2 (Freevie {FV}) recorder and whack on the Custom Firmware (CF). As well as being a great FV recorder out of the box, all manner of wonderful things can be done with the CF.
The main thing it's lacking is all the bells and whistles of catchup TV, but is marginally better in that respect than your FoxSat.
(and yes, you can programme the skip time)
Thank you Trev, so it's only the old 'Fox' boxes that are customisable? None of the new ones are ?

The general opinion on this forum seems to be that the HDR-FOX-T2 is the best Humax Freeview HD box. As these are no longer in production, you'd have to buy a used one.

The HDR 1800T or 2000T cannot use the Customised Firmware that is often mentioned here. It does have adjustable skip forward (30,60,120,240 seconds) and skip back (7,15,30s). You can certainly create folders at the top level. I do not use folders below that. But a quick test indicates that I can put a folder within a folder, move a programme into the folder and still play it. The 1800T seems to be generally available. The 2000T can be a bit harder to find.

My understanding of the FVP-4000T is that it is "work in progress". As far as I know it does not use folders.

No.

I read the original post as you rather than your friend having bought the HDR-FOX. If they are disappointed with it, have it off them!
No they bought a new Humax and its completely locked down.

Thanks for all the info, I'll start looking on eBay

Bear in mind that if you have a problem, this is the site to come to for expert help on things Hummy.
It's just that Raydon (the Foxsat man) did his development on the other site.

Recently a friend bought a Humax HDR (without prior research) and there are features missing on it that are very important to me. Please could anyone recommend a new Humax Freeview box which still has these features please.

File Manager. For sorting my saved recordings into neat tidy multiple layer folders.

Programmable fast forward skip button. Mine is set to 4mins which is roughly the exact length of the adverts (on some channels) so I can skip them with just one press on 8 out of 10 occasions but it's good enough for me.
Please would you clarify what you are looking for.

By "HDR" do you mean a recorder with a hard disk?
There have been 3 UK freeview Humax recorders that have 'HDR' in their model name: the HDR-FOX T2, the HDR-2000T and the HDR-1800T.
All of these have programmable skip buttons and a file manager.
Please would you confirm which model your friend has that is not suitable? I suspect it is the feeview play FVP-4000T as although it has programmable skip it does not have dedicated buttons for skip and it does not have the equivalent of a file manager.

No they bought a new Humax and its completely locked down.
You'd need to be more specific. Some of these boxes have interfaces/operations that are dictated by parties other than Humax. We have a freesat box as well as two FOX-T2 and it's a completely different beast (horrible).

Please would you clarify what you are looking for.

By "HDR" do you mean a recorder with a hard disk?
There have been 3 UK freeview Humax recorders that have 'HDR' in their model name: the HDR-FOX T2, the HDR-2000T and the HDR-1800T.
All of these have programmable skip buttons and a file manager.
Please would you confirm which model your friend has that is not suitable? I suspect it is the feeview play FVP-4000T as although it has programmable skip it does not have dedicated buttons for skip and it does not have the equivalent of a file manager.

Yes sorry I'm not sure exactly, he bought a Humax freeview recorder but thankyou for qualifying all the models with the features I require that's very handy

Sorry for the duel posting.
It's not something that needs an apology, but I just saw the identically worded post with an answer over there so posted the link here so that you could jump to it if you came here first.
If you are talking about Hummy terrestrial boxes especially the HDR Fox T2, this is the best place.

Great now I know I'm in the right place I need to ask a really simple question.
Having been using satalite only feeds on my foxsat for years now going over to an aerial is going to be really alien to me. On my foxsat I use two feeds from the lmb to enable duel channel recordings at the same time. Can someone please explain how it works using an aerial please. Do I need two feeds/cables ? Is it as easy as using a splitter connector or am I being naive ?

Can someone please explain how it works using an aerial please. Do I need two feeds/cables ?
No, the single aerial coax has all the TV frequencies on it, unlike sat where each cable is only able to have one of Highband Horizontal, High band Vertical and the Low band equivalents. so you can only get 1/4 of the total on a single cable at any one time (the switching between them is done by the sat box/TV).
Is it as easy as using a splitter connector or am I being naive ?
Unless you want to feed multiple boxes/TVs from the same aerial then you don't need a splitter. If you have a box and a TV then it is likely that the box has a feed through, so all you need is a short lead from the box to the TV. Any more than that needs some sort of distribution system, but only one coax is needed per box/TV. If your signal strength is good, all you need as a distribution system is a splitter with each output going to each device. Splitters introduce a bit of signal loss to each output, but if you have a good signal, it matters little.

Back