• The forum software that supports hummy.tv has been upgraded to XenForo 2.1!

This upgrade brings a number of improvements including the ability to bookmark posts to come back to later. Please bear with us as we continue to tweak things and open a new thread for any questions, issues or suggestions in Site/Forum Issues.

Humax TV Portal.

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
the highest 720p resolution
youtube-dl is configured to download the best resolution not greater than 1080. If you want to restrict it to no more than 720 you need -f "best[height<=?720]". The resolution you get from iPlayer depends whether you have "SD" or "HD" currently selected.

Last edited:

mihaid

I thought that the highest resolution on bbc iplayer was 720.

as here:
Shows will now automatically start playing in HD (high definition) quality. But you can switch to SD (standard definition) if you prefer.

BBC's version of HD for laptops and smartphones is 1280 x 720 video resolution (720p for short) - which is closer to what we'd classify as HD Ready.

The iPlayer drops the picture down to standard quality definition when there's low bandwidth or patchy wi-fi, so you'll need a robust connection and a decent smartphone, tablet or laptop for the best HD picture quality.

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
meaning you just cannot dl a 1080 from the iplayer
Ah, I think you mean 1080 resolution files are not available from iPlayer. Gotcha. Then it remains unexplained why the built-in portal iPlayer mechanism fetches stuff faster than youtube-dl. Personally, my network/Internet is so flakey I need the resume capability of youtube-dl (or get-iplayer).

/df

Remember that youtube-dl is running the HLS download in Python. It has to download all the video segments, all the audio segments and then merge those into a single H.264+AAC MP4 file. It's hardly surprising that this might be faster in the Humax iPlayer streamer.

HLS-capable iPlayer versions select the video quality depending on the network conditions (apparently may vary during the download), unless you specifically ask for SD.

If you only have the choice of HD/SD, as I understand the BBC documentation, iPlayer isn't using HLS and so it's downloadstreaming an already prepared entire media file (unless perhaps it can merge separate audio and video files). In this case, I suppose that iPlayer picks a quality suitable for the network conditions at the start of the downloadstream from the available HD and SD, or SD only if the user wanted, streams. That might be faster than even a native HLS implementation.

The iPlayer TV Application Layer device characteristics don't appear to distinguish between HD and HDR Fox T2, so the existence of the Streamer_down_file file on the HDR disk must be a feature of the download code in the Humax HDR TV binary (where the filename is mentioned).

MymsMan

Ad detector
The long delay while python loads is one reason the portal can be faster but for me the ability to simply paste URls into the qload panel and have a number of downloads process in the background while I am watching something else on the TV is much better than having the TV stuck on the portal screen whilst having to monitor downloads via the webif