Humax Youview box sucks!

D

Deleted member 473

We missed Homeland 2 last year and were trying to catch up using 4od on this wretched box. Constant hanging! Some of it requires a hard reboot.

So, in desperation, we switched to the TV's 4od player. No problems whatsoever!

Is this box underpowered or what? Something is definitely wrong with it!

I have had my box for nearly a year now without any problems,so i suggest that you should seek a replacement youview box or refund.
If you bought yours through BT they will want to keep your custom so mentioning this will positively bring them around to your way of thinking.

I have had my box for nearly a year now without any problems,so i suggest that you should seek a replacement youview box or refund.
If you bought yours through BT they will want to keep your custom so mentioning this will positively bring them around to your way of thinking.

BT and customer care.

What colour is the sky on your planet? :)

BT and customer care.

What colour is the sky on your planet? :)

I think it's the Humax box that is at fault here. BT have already supplied another router so that their streams will work correctly, but why on earth the Humax should hang on an internet stream is a mystery, especially, as I said, when the TV had no trouble with the same stream.

Oh, and John's sky on his, and your, and my planet is mostly black, like everyone else's, with tiny points of intense colour.

I think it's the Humax box that is at fault here. BT have already supplied another router so that their streams will work correctly, but why on earth the Humax should hang on an internet stream is a mystery, especially, as I said, when the TV had no trouble with the same stream.

Oh, and John's sky on his, and your, and my planet is mostly black, like everyone else's, with tiny points of intense colour.

Its a long story but I'll give you the condensed version. A pal had BT Broadband, maximum speed just over 100k, eight routers and countless visits plus thirty six hours on the phone, and still just over 100k. Engineer blamed various things including an electricity sub station. I used to work for BT, so I knew it was all waffle (polite word), Another pal fed from the same pole was getting over 2M. Asked for a MAC and was informed it would cost him £300.00 to leave, as "we are supplying a broadband service, all be it a BIT SLOW". Come the day of the change over to Plusnet with same router, same computer, same twisted pair of wires (and the sub station is still there), and he got 4.2M. Forty two times faster. Unfortunately its not an isolated case. Doesn't BT openzone rob some of the bandwidth?

Its a long story but I'll give you the condensed version. A pal had BT Broadband, maximum speed just over 100k, eight routers and countless visits plus thirty six hours on the phone, and still just over 100k. Engineer blamed various things including an electricity sub station. I used to work for BT, so I knew it was all waffle (polite word), Another pal fed from the same pole was getting over 2M. Asked for a MAC and was informed it would cost him £300.00 to leave, as "we are supplying a broadband service, all be it a BIT SLOW". Come the day of the change over to Plusnet with same router, same computer, same twisted pair of wires (and the sub station is still there), and he got 4.2M. Forty two times faster. Unfortunately its not an isolated case. Doesn't BT openzone rob some of the bandwidth?

Well, I have a similar story, but different. I was with BT and had a reasonable speed, maybe 6Mbps out of 8, but was dissatisfied with the cost when I saw Plusnet offered the same for much less. I transferred to Plusnet's premium service with no throttling back and my speed was constantly dropping really low. The worst I measured was 3kBps. Yes, you read that right, dial-up speed! After many complaints, I got nowhere with P*ssnet, so after two months was back with BT. Guess what? Same router, same phone line (it was a brand new line fitted a few years before) but the speed went straight up again.

We can all produce anecdotes.

I expected P*ssnet, based in Sheffield and me based in Sheffield too, to do better!

BT Openzone is very, very low bandwidth, by the way. Change to your own router and it vanishes.

PS All of this has nothing whatever to do with the Humax box's performance. My speed is 40+Mbps!

I don't have any problem with PN. I wouldn't touch BT with an extra long disinfected barge pole. Thieving b@5t@rd5.

I don't have any problem with PN. I wouldn't touch BT with an extra long disinfected barge pole. Thieving b@5t@rd5.

But by using Plusnet, you are touching BT intimately. It's like hating News Corp. but subscribing to Sky.

Not quite the same. You are still stuck with Openreach (as you are with most ISPs) but at least you can get away from Retail and their snivelling little lying Indian call centres.

Back