Hummy started to crash this morning

stevieboy

Hi,

My Hummy crashed about an hour ago whilst I was watching a recording from last night.
Now it won't stay up long enough for me to be able to do very much with it.
It is running:
Custom Firmware 2.22
Software version FHTCP 1.03.12
Loader Version a7.30
I tried a reset to default but it crashed during the channel search and then again during the setup wizard.
I've unplugged everything except the wi-fi dongle connector and although I can view recordings it crashes again after a short while.
I tried connecting via putty to start it up in maintenance mode and can do this. I tried to run Check and repair hard disk but again it doesn't stay up long enough to complete. I've attached a screenshot of what I see.
Any ideas on where to go with this? is the only other option opening the box?

Thanks

Attachments

• Maintenance.jpg
    Maintenance.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 12
I was just able to complete the Check and repair hard disk option and this is what I got:

Menu version 1.07
Enter system PIN: ****
/---------------------------------------------\
| M A I N T E N A N C E M O D E M E N U |
\---------------------------------------------/
[ Humax HDR-Fox T2 (humax) 1.03.12/2.22 ]
1 - Check and repair hard disk (fix-disk).
2 - Run short hard-disk self test.
3 - Run long hard-disk self test.
4 - Check self-test progress.
epg - Clear persistent EPG data.
x - Leave maintenance mode (Humax will restart).
diag - Run a diagnostic.
cli - System command line (advanced users).
Please select option: 1
Any additional options (or press return for none):
Are you sure you wish to run the hard disk checker? [Y/N] y
Running /bin/fix-disk
Custom firmware version 2.22

Checking disk sda
Unmounted /dev/sda1
Unmounted /dev/sda2
Unmounted /dev/sda3
Running short disk self test
No pending sectors found - skipping sector repair
Using superblock 0 on sda1
Using superblock 0 on sda2
Using superblock 0 on sda3

Checking partition /dev/sda3...
e2fsck 1.41.14 (22-Dec-2010)
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
/dev/sda3: 14/655776 files (7.1% non-contiguous), 351014/2622611 blocks
Checking partition /dev/sda1...
/dev/sda1: 14/65808 files (0.0% non-contiguous), 14287/263064 blocks
Checking partition /dev/sda2...
/lost+found not found. Create? yes
/dev/sda2: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
/dev/sda2: 2301/29860704 files (6.5% non-contiguous), 61057987/119209984 blocks
Removing extra swap space.
Are you having problems with a delete loop? [Y/N]: n
Skipped
Finished
Press return to continue:

Rebooted the box and tried a channel search and it 'crashed' at 18%
Does this mean anything to anyone? Oh, I've had the box for 4 + years I think.

Thanks. Pretty much tried all of that. I disconnected the HDD from the box and the unit still crashed after approx. 5 mins.
I can try the fan but given that it crashed after only 5 mins or so at the start of the day (and the unit had been off over night) I doubt it's an over heating issue.
Any other suggestions?
If ica n grab some of the recordings off the HDD then I will reformat it anyway.

You could try the 'System Flush Update File' in the WiKi HERE, I have not run this package, but I presume you will have to re-install the Custom Firmware again after applying the system flush

Thanks Ezra. I'll give that a go. Unfortunately the Hummy seems to not want to start up at all now.
I'll keep trying though.

I was able to get the box up long enough to run the System Flush update file. The box stays up now for approx. 2 mins.
If it stays up long enough, I'll try reloading the firmware.

Then I'm sorry to say I think you are at a dead end. The last possibility is to try disconnecting the front panel module, but I have no idea whether the Humax will run without it - obviously it would have to be up and running before you disconnect it.

Then I'm sorry to say I think you are at a dead end. The last possibility is to try disconnecting the front panel module, but I have no idea whether the Humax will run without it - obviously it would have to be up and running before you disconnect it.

Thanks to everyone that offered suggestions but I think I have to accept that it's dead. It won't even stay up now for more than a minute or two.
Given that the HDD is disconnected I doubt that reformatting it would resolve this issue so I won't bother. I'll hopefully be able to rescue the SD recordings I have on there.
If anyone can recommend a cable or dock to use with the HDD to copy off the files that would be great.

Thanks

I thought SD recordings could be copied without decryption. Is that not the case?
You are getting confused between the FOXAT where SD recordings are not encrypted and the Freeview HDRs where everything is encrypted (but Humax provide a mechanism to remove encryption by copying to USB).

Just answered this question on Myhumax.org. As you had custom firmware installed, did you not install the auto-unprotect package and flag the My Video folder for automatic decryption? If you have done this all your recordings (including hi def) will be unencrypted.

I know in the past I have been able to copy files over from the hummy via ftp or using the copy facility from the gui media browser. My assumption therefore was that I would be able to copy the SD recordings at least directly from the HDD now the box is dead. is that not the case?
I cannot copy to USB as the box doesn't stay up long enough.

All recordings on the HDR-Fox T2 are encrypted, so it depends if you had the packages detailed in #15 in place, if they weren't you won't be able to decrypt now

I know in the past I have been able to copy files over from the hummy via ftp
Are you sure you did not set your system up for automatic decryption when you installed the custom firmware? This is one of its most useful features so why wouldn't you? If you have copied files from your Hummy using ftp these would have to have been decrypted already to play on any other device.

Or more to the point: if they played successfully when copied by FTP, they must have been decrypted prior to copying.

Back